Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB outage in Newbridge

Options
  • 02-08-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Anyone else having problems with UPC in Newbridge?

Been down for me today, just back up now, but methinks a little dodgy at present

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

i'll be moving to newbridge whats the internet like for yea now

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

It's fine at present, I'm on 10 meg.

There was a problem on and off since Sunday whereby modems could not sync properly and were dropping out.

Fair play to the UPC lads they were out yesterday afternoon searching around for the fault and found that the problem was some sort of a faulty connection serving our estate/area. They did a temp repair yesterday to keep us going and returned today to complete a full repair.

Speedtests are normally good, mind you that depends on the server you use to test on. If I check using Magnet speedtest I never get anything less than 5meg usually it averages around 7.5meg.

Speedtest.net is a different kettle of fish, I rarely get good results, the same was true when I was with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

thats great news. hunting for a house myself not got one yet oh the prices the prices. in newbridge are crazy. class can't wait to get broadband down there. did yea have to hide the dodgy box under the bed :)

An Update on my previous post.

I heard just before lunch that it turns out that they only did the full fix today. The service went down again last night and was out all morning.

There are a good few upset people here as they depend on the service for their business.

However they did the repair job so our BB & phones should be OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Did this affect a number of areas? In North Co. Dublin it went down to 12kbps down / 8 kbps up (on a 20Mbps connection) for a lot of the morning.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, I took it that it was just a local problem.
    The other day I was speaking with them and they thought it was a damaged cable service just on small area around our houses. Some neighbours were not affected by this at all.

The wife was talking to the repair lads today and she said that they looked as though they were under big pressure to fix this fault. I think another fault sprang up today which knocked us out again for a while.

I'm wondering if an increase in customers could cause problems, e.g. perhaps an already weak component failed as more demand is put on it. I say this because I know that a few houses here joined UPC fairly recently.

Anyone else a view on that?

At present BB is runing fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

h2s wrote: »
    An Update on my previous post.

I heard just before lunch that it turns out that they only did the full fix today. The service went down again last night and was out all morning.

There are a good few upset people here as they depend on the service for their business.

However they did the repair job so our BB & phones should be OK now.

Brilliant , I am in Newbridge aslo but cant get UPC . I am in an estate just off the athgarvan road and cant see why they not have upgraded this vast area yet ,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

cable842 wrote: »
    i'll be moving to newbridge whats the internet like for yea now

In any of the the newer estates in Newbridge , UPC do not seem to have connected them up ,

Roseberry Hill, Kilbelin, Kilbelin Abbey,Walshestown,Belmount Green,Liffey Hall

Stange because I would say there is well over a 1000 homes in that area alone.

I am on BT , its ok not the worst in the world but not the best either ! and the max you can get is 7.6mb but that all relates to the distance from the exchange , max I can get is 5mb.

Best of luck with the new house , prices have dropped big time mine has dropped about 70K from the time I bought it last year ! Actually I am a year in the new home today !

Advertisement