Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Laws against people having tattoo's?

• 02-08-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey guys,

quick question......were going to a pub tonight that we have been going to for at least 3 years or so, we know the staff and have never once caused trouble, one of the lads has a tattoo on his arm and they always stop him and say "wear your jacket inside and dont take it off" or "go home and put on a long sleeve top"... yet there's woman walking around the pub with tattoo's on the lower backs etc.....

is there a law against this that anyone can tell me about?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

No law that I'm aware of, maybe it's just a dress code they have in the bar? Never experienced it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

dont dare take off the jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

no it aint a dress code this, we are always very neatly dressed, has anyone experience anything like this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's just the bouncers been paranoid

They'll see anything that has the potential to cause a row as something that will cause a row.

Best just do as they say

There's no law against singling somebody out, management reserves the right to refuse admission etc.. =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What was the offending tattoo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sweatingbullets

yeah its called discrimination.
    if the staff told one of my mates to cover his/her tattoo i wouldnt stay there just take my business elsewhere.

there are no bouncers in this pub, its just when you go inside that the barman would say it to you, yet there own bar staff and other custom's are walking around with tattoo's, i mean they said it to my friend the other night and he pointed out a girl with a chineese symbol on her shoulder and said "why dont you say it to her?" and they just replied....were not concernced about her, its you were telling to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

You'd think he'd have just starting wearing long sleeves by now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

A pub has the right to refuse your friend as long as they have a consistent non-discriminatory rule. ie the rule in this case is that arm tattoo's must be covered for entry into the pub. As long as the rule is applied to everyone with a tatoo on their arm then it is not illegal.

There's no law against singling somebody out, management reserves the right to refuse admission etc.. =p
    Actually there is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ADO wrote: »
    there are no bouncers in this pub, its just when you go inside that the barman would say it to you, yet there own bar staff and other custom's are walking around with tattoo's, i mean they said it to my friend the other night and he pointed out a girl with a chineese symbol on her shoulder and said "why dont you say it to her?" and they just replied....were not concernced about her, its you were telling to do it!

As was asked before; what is your mates tattoo of?

he has a sleeve on his arm with japanese style flowers' and fish etc....nothing that look "aggressive"....... maybe the equal status act 2000 - 2004 ???

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bicky wrote: »
    A pub has the right to refuse your friend as long as they have a consistent non-discriminatory rule

A non-discriminatory rule can be to refuse people entry or service because they feel they may antagonize other customers, and usually is applied to everyone.

They don't necessarily need to have individual rules on what might be antagonizing.

Not saying it's right but I've worked in bars for years and I've seen plenty of people asked to leave for no apparent reason other than management's feeling of unease with them on the premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

A non-discriminatory rule can be to refuse people entry or service because they feel they may antagonize other customers, and usually is applied to everyone.

They don't necessarily need to have individual rules on what might be antagonizing.

Not saying it's right but I've worked in bars for years and I've seen plenty of people asked to leave for no apparent reason other than management's feeling of unease with them on the premises.

You are right. The equal status act gives you the right to refuse entry to a person as long as you believe they pose a risk of criminal or disorderly conduct or you believed in good faith of such a consequence.
    The bottom line is that what the pub is doing is completely legal and it is their right. If you dont like it i suggest you vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere. I probably would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

he has a sleeve on his arm with japanese style flowers' and fish etc....nothing that look "aggressive"....... maybe the equal status act 2000 - 2004 ???

Two words....PEARL HARBOUR!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Equal status act and all that doesn't really apply to tattoos and piercings as it's something you've willingly done to yourself.

Just weird that they would single your mate out, japanese style tattoos are generally lovely and aren't dodgy looking compared to others.

Find a new pub, or go to offo and enjoy cheaper beer in the comfort of your own home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

why does your friend go back. they obviously think he's a prick so tell him this to piss him off. he should wake up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/index.html
    He should totally get the Equal Status Act tattooed on his other arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sounds like a brutal pub anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

tattoo and piercing fourm should have there next beers there :pac:!

sound like a stupid pub anyways, go somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Any pub that won't allow you to have a tattoo on display (Of what I can assume is Orchids and a Koi?) doesn't deserve any custom to be honest.
    Idiots.

Are you sure your friend doesn't have a portrait of Hitler on his other arm? :P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If any of ye are friends with a guard or solicitor then bring them along for the craic next time ye go in there, or maybe get someone they haven't seen before to pretend to be one and quote crcap at them, see if it makes any difference to them. either way though, tell them to shove their pub up their hole and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

5starpool wrote: »
    If any of ye are friends with a guard or solicitor then bring them along for the craic next time ye go in there, or maybe get someone they haven't seen before to pretend to be one and quote crcap at them, see if it makes any difference to them. either way though, tell them to shove their pub up their hole and go somewhere else.

Yeah i was thinkin this too, but tbh if they're gonna be assh*les they're going to be assh*les anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It depends..

In general i think its ignorant to ask somone to cover up a tatt..

However... if the tatt itself for some reason was portraying an ignorant message, ie racial hate etc.. then chop his arm off at the door.

Perhaps the bouncer got caught out before by not knowing what a particular tattoo meant (leading to murder and mayhem inside the building), and now doesn't want to see any at all, no matter how innocent they might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

that wouldnt explain why other people are allowed in there with uncovered tatts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps the bouncer got caught out before by not knowing what a particular tattoo meant (leading to murder and mayhem inside the building), and now doesn't want to see any at all, no matter how innocent they might be.

I doubt the pub is in South Central L.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was going into a bar a few nights ago and there was a notice up - "Dress code: baseball hats, sports jerseys and tattoos prohibited. However denim is welcome." I though it was a weird one! But anyways, we went to the bar and the girl working there had a massive ugly badly-done tattoo on the inside of her wrist. I don't know how they could enforce the rule on customers when their own staff don't have to cover up the tattoos!

It's a stupid rule, like I'd understand if it said "no offensive tattoos" or something (especially since the bar was in Belfast!) but refusing people with any visible tattoos is crazy.

• Advertisement

I doubt the pub is in South Central L.A.

It doesn't take much to piss people off anywhere in these PC days.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I was going into a bar a few nights ago and there was a notice up - "Dress code: baseball hats, sports jerseys and tattoos prohibited. However denim is welcome." I though it was a weird one! But anyways, we went to the bar and the girl working there had a massive ugly badly-done tattoo on the inside of her wrist. I don't know how they could enforce the rule on customers when their own staff don't have to cover up the tattoos!

its probably because they arent worried about the staff causing trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Maybe they're just getting fed up with the gob****e with the tattoos that keeps coming up with them bared after he has been told umpteen times to keep it covered.

Not my view, but I can see how they'd view it.

Could just be because its not the type of clientelle they wish to have in the establishment. In fairness, they didn't tell him to piss off, just not to flaunt the rules.

If they did have a problem, they'd just not let him in.

Advertisement