Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impressing the opposite sex

Options
  • 02-08-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

If someone asked you for one way or HOW to impress the opposite sex, other than simply "being themselves", what would your advice be?

For me, I think having a sense of humour is a big thing. If you can be funny and seem up for a laugh, I think it definitely goes a long way in impressing men.

EDIT: I didn't mean advising someone to pretend to be something you're not. I mean what qualities, traits or actions would you tell people are most important in impressing someone they're interested in. What impresses you about a person? Is it their style, certain personality traits, their wages or job, their generosity ... What would be something that would really impress you about someone?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wouldn't ever try anything other than being myself(that being said I've never tried to 'impress' anyone), although, for some people, telling them to be themselves is the worst advice imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I think it definitely goes a long way in impressing men.

And why do I want to impress them? I assume it's in order to get some sort of date/boyfriend/husband etc which honestly couldn't give a toss about if it means play acting for them. If you are funny and up for a laugh great but if your not why would you want to impress a guy who is into funny and up for a laugh girls? Always better to be yourself as [a] it's a lot less work and your more likely to find a guy you've stuff in common with. Back in my youth [:P] I will admit to faking certain interests/attributes in order to impress a guy and I ended up spending every weekend for a year being dragged to sporting events I'd really no interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

ztoical wrote: »
    ...Always better to be yourself as [a] it's a lot less work and your more likely to find a guy you've stuff in common with. Back in my youth [:P] I will admit to faking certain interests/attributes in order to impress a guy and I ended up spending every weekend for a year being dragged to sporting events I'd really no interest in.

Oh, I know it's better to be yourself, but I'm asking what specific things you think impress the opposite sex! I don't mean putting on this whole facade to win over a man or a woman. Like, do you think people are impressed by your knowledge, by how much you earn, by you being forward, by what you're wearing... What one quality about a person is most important when trying to impress someone their interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I think if you've some clear tangible skill it can impress people e.g a musician or artist. Well it impresses me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am older than many on here, Some what knowledgeable on many things , haven't a clue about others and I dress i m o ,pretty ok for a guy who wont see 35 again ;)

But from my own expierences the one thing I have found the opposite sex are very impressed is somebody who listens to what they have to say ie , a good ear, without passing judgement on what it is the person is talking about .Picking your brain so to speak , helps them make decisions and putting them at ease with themselfs about some dilemma they have going , earns you their respect if nothing else .Respcting somebodys opinion can be the biggest compliment of all and you get to know better the person that's listening and if requested , giving the advice.

Being able make somebody laugh to laugh at ones self is a good personality trait .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

It impresses me when someone can show humility.I know a girl that is beautiful but she is the most humble person Ive ever met.It makes her even more adorable.

For myself,Ive never feigned interest in anything to try and impress members of the opposite sex.I suppose having a good sense of humour and been able to poke fun at myself is generally well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I am generally impressed by 3 things the most.

her ability to take a joke however off colour and just laugh, or in some cases tell these jokes.
    An Interest in obscure music that is not the mainstream.
    Someone who has gone travelling, not touristy, real travel and immersing themselves in the relevant culture.

But Sense of humour tops the list because if they girl cant take a joke then I am just going to be offending her constantly with things I find witty, but she doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Like, do you think people are impressed by your knowledge, by how much you earn, by you being forward, by what you're wearing... What one quality about a person is most important when trying to impress someone their interested in?

I don't think you can make it that general/generic cus one person might be impressed by knowledge while another might be impressed by physical qualities etc I'm a comic book nerd which isn't going to impress alot of guys and might put some off but it will impress other comic book nerds.....actually do we have to use the word impress, it doesn't feel right. I think it sounds better to say other comic book nerds would be more likely to be attracted to other comic book nerds. Saying that I am a complex person and that is only one side of me so I can't say A, B and C makes me impressive to other people. I'm an artist I know lots of people who are impressed by that but I don't think I'd be attracted to someone who was impressed by that....I see it as my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ztoical wrote: »
    I'm an artist I know lots of people who are impressed by that but I don't think I'd be attracted to someone who was impressed by that....I see it as my job.

Equaly if somebody said they didn't like your taste in music ,movies , food or other intrests than that's fine but we wouldn't stop liking those things just because somebody else didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just turn up naked with beer. That would impress the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

iMax wrote: »
    Just turn up naked with beer. That would impress the hell out of me.

It really depends on the Beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Not quite sure I've ever impressed a man, or woman for that reason. :rolleyes:

What I get attracted to in men and I guess in a manner "impressed" by is intelligence. Love it, definately makes a "nice friend" very sexually attractive.:D

Also what the hell does "Be yourself " mean, I would never put on an act, far too much effort but still not sure if that means I "am being myself"

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I think that humour is the most impressive thing about my OH, that and he's really into Physics, which I know nothing about but I'm impressed by how passionate he is about things. In addition to this he doesn't take me or himself to seriously, on our first date he took me to play pool kicked my ass and then did his happy dance around the table, it was nice to be with someone who was totally not arsed whether I liked them or not but was more concerned with having a laugh and doing their own thing!

In addition to this though I don't think anyone's fully themselves when they start dating or first meet someone. For example I am a massive bag of crazy, super super crazy, but the crazy is only starting to leak out now 2 years on! If I told him half the things I did to prepare for our first date I don't think we'd be together, but it's important to strike the balance between trying to be normal and trying to be yourself!

Also music, and a really important thing to me is the ability to hold your own in a debate but also be able to put your hand up and say "this is over my head so i'm going to shut up now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Attaching playing cards to the back wheel of your bike with a clothes peg in order to make a satisfying whirring sound when passing girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I've a strange ability to amuse myself by subliminaly steering a conversation they way i would like to see it go, i tend to insert tiny little amusing references, or very obscure inuenndo (amusing only to me a a generally:))... any girl that has the ability and humour to pick up on even a minascule amount of these will have my heart immediatly!!

I think thats a round about way of saying GSOH!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh, Be yourself, people hate fakeness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sitting in the corner licking my eyebrows seems to work ok..... :pac:

I dunno, yea the be yourself lark works ok, but only if you're not a freak. Even then there will be someone who likes you. Then again I've been working on myself with limited success for many a year.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

by doing skids :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The only thing I'd advise a guy to do to 'impress' a girl/guy he was interested in is to portray confidence. Everyone likes a person who's comfortable in their own skin (without being arrogant of course). Take a handle on the conversation and drive it. Ease up when it's your turn to listen and take the reigns again when she/he hands them back. Confidence is number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

ummm...by knowing what he's at under the sheets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im impressed by a girlfriend or girl who is interested in what I have to say and in the case of a girlfriend, takes an interest in what i have to say about my hobbies or things i like.

It demonstrates that she was an interest in life beyond her own circle in life and that she respects you as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sitting in the corner licking my eyebrows seems to work ok..... :pac:

You made me snort tea up my nose.

That's attractive, right? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

faceman wrote: »
    Im impressed by a girlfriend or girl who is interested in what I have to say and in the case of a girlfriend, takes an interest in what i have to say about my hobbies or things i like.

It demonstrates that she was an interest in life beyond her own circle in life and that she respects you as a person.

Yeah, definitely agree. If someone's interested in what you're saying, you can't help but be impressed by them! ;)

It's very flattering when someone has a genuine interest in getting to know you, finding out about your interests and your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

by doing skids :cool:

. . . and not having skid marks . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

This might sound pretty weird or something but I'm impressed by guys who are nice to old people or little children! :D

I was on the bus a while ago and there was a guy sitting listening to his i-pod and an elderly lady got up to get off. She had a few shopping bags and was visibly struggling. The guy put his i-pod away, got up and helped her off the bus with her bags and asked did she need him to do anything else! I was just watching him like ".....Wow!".

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Novella wrote: »
    This might sound pretty weird or something but I'm impressed by guys who are nice to old people or little children! :D

I was on the bus a while ago and there was a guy sitting listening to his i-pod and an elderly lady got up to get off. She had a few shopping bags and was visibly struggling. The guy put his i-pod away, got up and helped her off the bus with her bags and asked did she need him to do anything else! I was just watching him like ".....Wow!".

Not at all weird, I'm hugely attracted to good manners.

Yeah, so that's my answer. I advise anyone to display their good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

good manners like helping the old lady above is great, not so great is when a guy only gives up his seat for attractive, young women. :P

i'm impressed by hard workers and people who don't mope around but find solutions to their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

SeekUp wrote: »
    . . . and not having skid marks . . .

ewwww...... :(
    What I find really cool, is nice chilled out attitude oh and the biggist thing is manors if she has interests close to mine. Not always in a hurry to and makes time for relaxing... As face man said, women who take an interest in what i do with my life as much as i take an interest in her's if there's no interest in each others life why be with each other....?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

As face man said, women who take an interest in what i do with my life as much as i take an interest in her's if there's no interest in each others life why be with each other....?
    couldn't agree more....holding out for someone with a genuine interest in my life...any day now:P

for my part, i try to give whomever it is my full attention, so he knows i'm listening to him. nothing worse than chatting to someone and they are acting like they are not listening

being confident has a bit part of it, but the right type of confidence. there is being obnoxiously confident and then there is confidence in being yourself....the latter is the attractive one

mostly, i try to be me. at the end of the day, that should be enough to impress:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Simple, I just tell her how much weight I can lift in the gym, Women love that kinda thing!! :P

But seriously, a girl with decent taste in music is a massive turn on. She doesn’t necessary have to share my tastes, but an appreciation in good music is always good.

Seriously, if your last music purchases included a 'Now That's What I Call Music' CD or a Nickelback album we have no business speaking to each other. :D

Advertisement