Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Israel attack Iran???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've come to this thread very late, but my opinion. I think Isreal would attack Iran if they felt they had to or felt threatened. At the moment, i'm sure Isreal are more the ready for such a scenario, but I think they want to play it cool for now because the last thing they want is to be attacking Iran. Firstly because if they attacked Iran, you can be sure all of Isreal's enemies would rise up against Isreal and try to destory it, I don't think Isreal want to risk that right now. Secondly because Isreal wouldn't have the full backing of the UN or the USA. In the past George Bush would have pretty much backed any Isreali attack if it was against an enemy of Bush, I.E Iran. But with Obama in charge, Isreal can't take the risk. So I think Isreal is waiting for Iran to make the first move so that it looks like it's defending itself. Finally Isreal are proberly just using this time to plan and get ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Trophy and Iron Fist Armour protection systems, seemed to have performed very well in Military testing. But as history has shown repeatedly, real life combat over a measurable period of time will really determine the effectiveness of any military system.
    Do you guys by the way suspect what I suspect? Mossad will take 'care' of key Iranian personnel in time and the CIA will 'promote' the Iranian opposition movement. I would have a lot more faith in Mossad doing the job right, than I'd have in the CIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Selah_Nova

Thanks, but Ive a couple of questions:
    Do you belive that the presence of even a small Irish contingent in Kabul put the lives of Irish citzens (especially ones on holiday) in danger?
    2. What exactly is the need of Irish personal there?
    3. Could you get me one of those mosque clocks, the one that has the call to prayer as the alarm?
    Thanks, and stay safe and be nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think you've got the wrong thread.

1) No. What's an "Ireland"?
    2) They need a place to sleep, a place to eat. What more does any soldier need other than the equipment issued at home station?
    3) Believe it or not, I've not seen any. They're supposedly all over this country, but I guess this province has somehow been excluded.

NTM

Perhaps if you and your collegues ventured outside the capital and sent less e.mails, especially ones that deflect relevent questions with a bit of guff, then maybe the Afgans would be a bit better off.
    I suppose a heraldic banner with what appear to be 3 yellow star of davids doesnt play a part (even subconsciencely) in your opinion process.
    Peace (and Plenty of it)

• Advertisement

Well, if you've not noticed my location, I'm not in the Capital. It's actually about a three-and-a-half hour drive from here, and I only ever made it to the outskirts once.

I'm not entirely sure how relevant the questions are to a thread about Israel attacking Iran.

And I don't believe there is any connection between my family's coat of arms and the Star of David, though I must admit to never having researched the matter particularly thoroughly. I strongly doubt, however, that it affects my reasoning processes.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I've come to this thread very late, but my opinion. I think Isreal would attack Iran if they felt they had to or felt threatened. At the moment, i'm sure Isreal are more the ready for such a scenario, but I think they want to play it cool for now because the last thing they want is to be attacking Iran. Firstly because if they attacked Iran, you can be sure all of Isreal's enemies would rise up against Isreal and try to destory it, I don't think Isreal want to risk that right now. Secondly because Isreal wouldn't have the full backing of the UN or the USA. In the past George Bush would have pretty much backed any Isreali attack if it was against an enemy of Bush, I.E Iran. But with Obama in charge, Isreal can't take the risk. So I think Isreal is waiting for Iran to make the first move so that it looks like it's defending itself. Finally Isreal are proberly just using this time to plan and get ready.

Getting ready in what way?

They have already bought bombs like the GBU-28 (bunker busters) off the Americans so what exactly would they be planning?

Look up a few videos on a guy called Robert Baer. He's ex CIA there's a few good videos on youtube.

Getting ready in what way?

They have already bought bombs like the GBU-28 (bunker busters) off the Americans so what exactly would they be planning?

How to use them?

Owning toys is all well and good. Looks wonderful on the balance of power charts, and particularly appealing for military parades.

But really, that's the easy bit. Learning how to employ them effectively, and planning operations involving them takes a little bit of preparation.

NTM

How to use them?

Owning toys is all well and good. Looks wonderful on the balance of power charts, and particularly appealing for military parades.

But really, that's the easy bit. Learning how to employ them effectively, and planning operations involving them takes a little bit of preparation.

NTM

It wouldn't be that hard really would it? After all you're saying Israel is supreme to them so they have nothing to fear. I was reading they think two GBU-28 bombs would be enough to get at the underground sites by dropping one then after dropping anotehr right on top, I'm not so sure though. Although the total number needed is 25 of the 5,000 pound bombs and 25 of the 2,000 pound bombs.

Which way do you think Israel would more than likely go or better still would the countries they're flying over attack them? There's really only three ways it could happen if Israel wanted to use airstrikes. Use Iraq, fly over Turkey along with Syria or over Jordan and Saudia Arabia.

Personally I couldn't see them using the Turkey route or even Saudia Arabia if they let that happen it would be bye bye oil this recession would be nothing compared to what will happen same could be said about Iraq because then that would be seen as America given it's backing so the 150,000 troops would be at risk.

Can't see it happening though. No way....

It wouldn't be that hard really would it? After all you're saying Israel is supreme to them so they have nothing to fear.

They're not superior just because of their toys, though. It's not as if they can just wake up one morning and decide to cruise right over Iran at 30,000 feet and bomb the target whilst swatting Iranains out of the sky left right and centre simply because they're in F-15Is. They're superior because they both have the toys, and take the time to develop the best use for them.

By way of example: I've a license to fly light aircraft. Cessna Skylark, Piper Arrow, that sort of thing. If I won the Super-Lotto and became the owner of a brand, spanking new F-16I, could I fly it? I'm pretty sure I could, at least once I figured out how to turn the thing on. Could I shoot down someone tootling around in a Cessna at 6,000 feet with the thing? Probably, it's just switchology. Would I know how best to minimize my radar cross-section at a certain aspect angle to an airborne pulse-doppler radar against various sorts of background clutter to include mountains or cities? Ah... No. Would I know what the apparent maintenance schedules are of Iranian warning sites and plan my route using both these pieces of information? Absolutely not. It's not just a case of what toy you have.

Special Forces, for another example, aren't the best because they're the best trained and best equipped as much as because they don't do anything without planning the crap out of whatever they do first.
    Which way do you think Israel would more than likely go or better still would the countries they're flying over attack them? There's really only three ways it could happen if Israel wanted to use airstrikes. Use Iraq, fly over Turkey along with Syria or over Jordan and Saudia Arabia

None of the above. Go around the landmass, down the Red Sea, around Yemen/S.A., up the Persian Gulf. The long way around, but it's not as if the Israelis don't have some real-world practice at that. (Look how far away Tunisia is)

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,043 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that, considering the bad press re the Iraqi situation, public opinion, and the fact that no-one wants to be seen to emulate the George W approach to peace, Iran must be riddled with covert operations being carried out by various western intelligence agencies, with a view to changing things from within.

The fact that people have taken to the streets in Iran is a good sign, and shows that we're not the only ones wanting a more reasonable regime there.

I don't think that Israel would get any moral support were they to launch an attack on Iran, and they couldn't be certain that their objectives would be achieved. They'd make themselves even more enemies if that's at all possible. Any action by them would set the region back decades, and we'd be paying €20 for a litre of fuel.

Didnt the Isrealis, when they destroyed Saddams single nuclear reactor copy the flight path of a cargo 747 and flew so tight that they mimiced its radar signiture aswell, not sure if it was a Guinness Peat Aviation registored aircraft.
    The clashes in Iran are mostly confined to the classes, the Clerical using the Working to keep the Middle where they can control it, the western media seems to be all over every peice of mobile phone footage that comes out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

If Israel attacked Iran, they'd be in big trouble because Obama would not back them.... and they couldn't hold back the Arabs without the Americans......

They've done it before. And that was before they decided to reduce their dependence on foreigners.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Israel needs to be nuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Exon wrote: »
    Whilst Isreal and everything it stands for disgusts me nuking them would be a step too far. Imo.

Thank you for that insightful and supported statement.

Do you wish to expand upon this a bit, or shall I simply ban you right off the bat?
    (Those thinking I'm overreacting a bit may also wish to look at Exon's other post today, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64082022&postcount=2)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Such an intelligent contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No it doesn't. I'm a huge critic of Israel, but to say that it needs to be nuked is asinine. They could do with a good kick up the hole - but mass civilian murder? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In no way, shape or form should Weapons of Mass Destruction be even considered or used. Supporting the use of nuclear wepons is supporting Genocide, which is barbaric and inhumane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Iran needs to be nuked....!!

OK, OK, enough already with the nuking.

NTM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Selah_Nova wrote: »

I understand you have problems with your dialup so I will post it for you
    What ever happened to free speech?
    Why should somebody not be allowed to say they want a certain country ‘nuked’ ?

Its not as if they were questioning the incineration capacity of concentration camp furnaces between 1943 and 1945, or the choosing of the state religion in the Khazar empire around the 8th centuryAD, or if the people known as Ashkenazim are ‘more’ jewish than say a Sephardim, an Abyssinian or a Middle Eastern Jewish person, or even why the provincial flags of Ireland, 5 if the unionist Ulster one is included, why 2 of those 5 flags have ancient Isrealite symbols on them, The Star of David and the Royal Harp of David.
    Anyway
    The event of the capture of Jerusalem during the six day war of 1967 and its subliminal effect on the collective psyche of the christianised western world (along with the near total pro Isreali reporting and discussions of that time) should Never be underestimated, then or now.

I have no time for nukers, nazis or nutjobs, I don’t enjoy their words or share their views but free speech is what it says and it either exists or it does not.

I dont agree with your argument but Im offline for the next hour, answer later

Why should somebody not be allowed to say they want a certain country ‘nuked’ ?

It's my job as a moderator to help facilitate enjoyable discussion. Such statements, especially when unsupported, contribute very little in that direction and merely set people off. Thus, I do not approve of them.

And when I disapprove of something on this forum (as opposed to disagree with), people should listen.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭joesoap007

they wont attack iran for this reason, IDF pretty much got butt raped in 2006 by hezbollah, and lets face it hezbollah are twice as strong now, and lets not forget, mir houssain mossavi (the guy who lost iranian elections) is one of the founders of hezbollah.

it would have been possible in the bush era, but i just think obama is more interested in chilling out than cracking heads

technically speaking if israel were to attack iran would have support of

-sirya
    -libya
    -north korea
    -china
    -russia
    -maybe pakistan
    -maybe KSA/UAE (doubtful)

and this will just be asking for trouble because right now countries like north korea/russia (and to a lesser extent china) are blatantly looking for trouble and wouldnt mind throwing a few upper cuts in

its actully far more likely that iran will do premptive strikes on israel, they do have the capability and full support of north korea (probably all they need) besides

number of troops

IRAN 1,295,000 (545,000 active)

vs

ISRAEL 629,150 (176,500 active)

iran's total army is more than twice the size

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_troops

israel's going to be out numbered nearly 5 to 1 (active troops) LOL, and iran actully has a proper army, they are pretty well equiped (ok maybe not the same level as israel but not far behind either), so they arent your average gung-ho lets go taliban, their revolutionary guards are some of the best trained troops in the world

iran are playing the game their talking fully with the un International Atomic Energy Agency ,cant see them attacking anyone.if they get the 5 batteries of the S-300PMU missiles or Chinesemade HQ9 surface to air missile under the name FD2000 recently put on the export market Israel will pay in blood with downed jets and dead pilots.but id say they will still get the job done sad to say.

iran has god on her said when fighting their troops are well drilled.most isaeli troops dont believe in their cause so iran could win a war.but israel likes to hit when know one is looking .like they did in the 6 day war.so iran watch out for the snake in the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

joesoap007 wrote: »
    but israel likes to hit when know one is looking .like they did in the 6 day war.so iran watch out for the snake in the grass.

I honestly dont know how you can say that. The six day war was a pre-emptive strike yes, but in the full knowledge that the Arab states were preparing a strike on Israel. They just completely underestimated Israel's awareness of it, and their ability to strike with a ferocity that few nations have been able to muster.

As for the AAA batteries, Iran held exercises just before christmas as a show of force intended to hopefully put off any Israeli strike on them. They announced complete success afterwards and told the world that any attempt to enter Iranian airspace undetected would be impossible and any intruders would be crushed. However western analysts studying the exercises say that it revealed fatal flaws and superior electronic countermeasures and tactics would allow Israeli jets to enter and destroy their target. And as far as i'm aware, the exercises at the time included the S-300 system. ( I'm not 100 percent sure on this point as i have been unable to track the link i found it from, all i remember is i read it on Jane's Defense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭joesoap007

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I honestly dont know how you can say that. The six day war was a pre-emptive strike yes, but in the full knowledge that the Arab states were preparing a strike on Israel. They just completely underestimated Israel's awareness of it, and their ability to strike with a ferocity that few nations have been able to muster.

As for the AAA batteries, Iran held exercises just before christmas as a show of force intended to hopefully put off any Israeli strike on them. They announced complete success afterwards and told the world that any attempt to enter Iranian airspace undetected would be impossible and any intruders would be crushed. However western analysts studying the exercises say that it revealed fatal flaws and superior electronic countermeasures and tactics would allow Israeli jets to enter and destroy their target. And as far as i'm aware, the exercises at the time included the S-300 system. ( I'm not 100 percent sure on this point as i have been unable to track the link i found it from, all i remember is i read it on Jane's Defense)

ture the S-300 might not be all its cracked up to be but the us and israel are very worryed about them having them ,iran a saying now their going build their own s 300 wonder were they sold blueprints ?

6 day war licked em good allright,but the arabs’told israel to fully restoration of the rights of the Palestinian people. and massed their army on their borders and made it clear stop or else.saying things like We shall not enter Palestine with its soil covered in sand we shall enter it with its soil saturated in blood ,,,,As of today, there no longer exists an international emergency force to protect Israel. We shall exercise patience no more. We shall not complain any more to the UN about Israel. The sole method we shall apply against Israel is total war, which will result in the extermination of Zionist existence,,so israel had the choice to do the right thing make peace and stop been bullys.but no attacked with out warning and had aother land grab, arab and jew have lived in peace and done so for 1000s of years in loads of M.E countrys. people will tell you oo arab and jews have been fighting for ever 1000s of years its bullsh1te,,Zionists started all this killing.Zionists think their above everyone even normal jews.just like the nazis did,they think their born to do gods work and fcuk everyone else,just like the nazis did,...their scum ture snakes in the grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

It is only a matter of time now. Israel will make a move. Israel will not wait much longer for the world to figure it out. They'll do what has to be done and what they have similarly done in the past.

What is interesting is timing. A move by Israel would be devastating to Obama's democrats. A move prior to US elections would be a GOP landslide.

I cannot see Israel waiting much more than a year. They have to stay ahead of the game, the intel, and ensure that what Iran claims is not too far behind what they have and their capabilities.

Advertisement