Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Competition ALERT

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Already entered. Can't wait to win:D lol.

Seriously though, even on the off chance I get into the top 4, I don't particularly like the idea of discussing on the radio the story behind it, because there really isn't one!!

Also, you'd think they'd spend a little more on the prize, not that the 500D isn't cool, but you'd think they could stretch to a 50D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol they rejected mine :P (all because I let it slip that it wasn't taken in the summer of 2009 - I didn't even realise that it had to be taken in summer 2009!)

Put forward another one anyway...good luck everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I can see my entry on the 'wall' and also oshead's. Cool, thans for the heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So, did anyone get the calling?

Heard a familiar story on the interview this morning and thought it might be a boardsie ???? (Thought I heard it previously on here)

Come on, reveal yourself (yourselves) if you're in the finalists :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I didnt enter (so wasnt me) - I cant as I know the judges:P

• Advertisement

Anyone else find it kinda stupid having a photo competition on a radio show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Anyone else find it kinda stupid having a photo competition on a radio show?

yes, bet you still entered though :p

Tallon wrote: »
    yes, bet you still entered though :p
    I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Damn impulses!!

Anyone know what the final photos are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

final photos are on the site here

TBH I'm a bit stunned at a couple of the shortlisted ones. There were some seriously amazing entries I was full sure would make it :eek:

final photos are on the site here

TBH I'm a bit stunned at a couple of the shortlisted ones. There were some seriously amazing entries I was full sure would make it :eek:

I'm not stunned at all tbh. There was some quality photos up there, I think only 1 of the final 4 comes close to deserving a top 4 place, but there were plenty that I would have rated higher.

The girls in the mirror? with a camera phone? Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'm not stunned at all tbh. There was some quality photos up there, I think only 1 of the final 4 comes close to deserving a top 4 place, but there were plenty that I would have rated higher.

Ah there is something wrong here, there has to be.. No way any of them should really win it. I agree one should have been shortlisted but none of them deserve to win...

hmmmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Wow !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Don't even get me started on that one...!!
    I do quite like the fireworks one though, it's lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it looks like a serious case of LateLateShowitis that the judges have. I would agree that one of them should perhaps be there (the man and woman at the races), but the rest of them ? no way.
    Looks like Simplicius is one of the shortlisted ones and congratulations to him for that, but even that picture is not really good enough (Sorry Anthony :rolleyes:). IMO it's only in there because there are African children in there, which is a bit lame if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

stick-dan wrote: »
    Ah there is something wrong here, there has to be.. No way any of them should really win it. I agree one should have been shortlisted but none of them deserve to win...

hmmmm..

Yeh I totally agree. they look sh*t to me. Maybe they had to ring in and just describe their photo to the judges and then they were judged over the radio :p:confused: :pac:.

EDIT: my initial response to these photos was unecessarily harsh. My opinion of them is still that they are of poor quality for a photography competition and imo there are better entries that didn't make it through.

that said, good luck to anyone involved.

Well, theres votes for 2 of the 4, so maybe they got it half right :pac::pac::pac:

it looks like a serious case of LateLateShowitis that the judges have.

Ah, ha and of course there is a common link, Tom Lawlor. Nuff said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ha, well my photo wasn't even entered... I entered one, got rejected, tried to enter another one instead and they write back you can only enter once ?!?! (they obviously had it on file that I've submitted an entry but not that the 1st entry wasn't accepted).

Anyway - no need to rant at them - it does seem that what "photographers" judge to be a "good" picture and what "people" ;) judge to be good are rather different things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Just had a look at the 4 finalists there and im very dissapointed. I am not a photographer but I have an interest in looking at photos and having a go when I can.

From looking through a selection of the entrants I could pick out about 30 that are better in composition, subject or both.

The thing about the top 4 is that they are neither an interesting concept or particularly well taken. Must have just had an interesting story i guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

dont know why we bother entering comps sometimes... the one with the mirror is just a bad photo imho .. but then again wasnt one of the judges an actress from Glenroe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Those are 4 of the worst photos of the competition. Ridiculas really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

good lord........please tell me one of the entry conditions was that the photographer was under ten years old? even then........no offence to anybody shortlisted by the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I'm not a photographer (have an old second hand dslr that I mess about with and can just about crop photos) and didn't enter but I was looking forward to seeing the finalists. I'm very disappointed. Just take a look at the random photos thread for hundreds of better photos. I was hoping there would be a close competition between some outstanding pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sorry. But the conditions state nowhere that they are looking for a special standard or professional photographers. They were looking for the look of the irish. And if those four pictures and stories are the once that represent it the best in their eyes that's it. That's the way competitions are, you never know what exactly they want but it's up to them to decide. No matter if you agree or not.
    tbh I am slightly shocked by some of the comments here. Especially as at least one of the pictures is taken by one of the members here.
    Those pictures mean something to those who took them like every picture we take means something to us, no matter if others agree or not. And this goes especially for pictures we publish or enter to competitions.
    So far I never saw so rude comments here. Even if people did say that they totally dislike a picture, it was always said in a nice way. It really makes me wonder what it is about this special competition that makes you react like this.

Just my 2cents.

xia wrote: »
    Sorry. But the conditions state nowhere that they are looking for a special standard or professional photographers. They were looking for the look of the irish. And if those four pictures and stories are the once that represent it the best in their eyes that's it. That's the way competitions are, you never know what exactly they want but it's up to them to decide. No matter if you agree or not.
    tbh I am slightly shocked by some of the comments here. Especially as at least one of the pictures is taken by one of the members here.
    Those pictures mean something to those who took them like every picture we take means something to us, no matter if others agree or not. And this goes especially for pictures we publish or enter to competitions.
    So far I never saw so rude comments here. Even if people did say that they totally dislike a picture, it was always said in a nice way. It really makes me wonder what it is about this special competition that makes you react like this.

Just my 2cents.
    What makes you think one of the pictures was taken by someone here? :confused:

All I'm saying is that there were plenty of pictures available to choose from, some of which were of a very high standard. It's a photography competition, if I thought I could just take a picture of myself in the mirror with my phone then I would have done so. The competition loses all credibility by choosing that thing for the final 4 tbh, it's an absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

What makes you think one of the pictures was taken by someone here? :confused:

All I'm saying is that there were plenty of pictures available to choose from, some of which were of a very high standard. It's a photography competition, if I thought I could just take a picture of myself in the mirror with my phone then I would have done so. The competition loses all credibility by choosing that thing for the final 4 tbh, it's an absolute joke.

Well, Antony Cronin is Simplicius here. Cambo Gueno/Paul mentioned that already.
    And as I said, they didn't say in the rules that they expect a special standard. And btw it is possible to take very good pictures with a mobile. And that picture shows irish girls playing around with a mobile. Can you imagine any irish girl without a mobile nowadays? So it fits the criteria.

Well, Antony Cronin is Simplicius here. Cambo Gueno/Paul mentioned that already.
    And as I said, they didn't say in the rules that they expect a special standard. And btw it is possible to take very good pictures with a mobile. And that picture shows irish girls playing around with a mobile. Can you imagine any irish girl without a mobile nowadays? So it fits the criteria.
    It's a photography competition with a theme, the photo fits the theme (for you, I don't agree but none the less) but fails badly at photography. Like I said, the fact it was chozen over dozens of other shots thats ticked both boxes is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ok. imagine the competition had the same theme but involved writing a short story instead of taking a photograph. If an entrant wrote a story about girls and their mobile phones that isnt enough to qualify it for shortlisting in my opinion. The story must be well written, have impeccable grammar etc. I think people are annoyed the photo was chosen because no obvious photographic skill was involved. Literally anybody could have taken that photo. *DISCLAIMER - I dont have a clue about what makes a photo worthy/good,its just my opinion*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm pretty disappointed with the finalists of the competition. I didn't enter a photograph because there were some really good entries that I liked and didn't think I had a suitable photograph but looking at the standards of some of the finalists... I would have had loads of photos I could have entered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

In fairness not the best shots, But it is Tuberidy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Damn, i was just about to enter! though 14th of August was the final entry date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

In fairness to people, this is a competition and the entrants have chosen to enter this in the knowledge that their photographs will be on public display. I say people are entitled to their opinion. This is a photography forum so you have to expect people to have opinions about the finalists of a photography competition. If people thought the photos were great then I am sure that knowing this forum people would have been as quick to say so!!!! Leave people to have their opinions, we can't all like everything! And I am sure some people will like these shots!

As for the tone of the emails, I will take on board your point and amend the way I put forward my opinion in the post above! But it still stands, I am very disappointed in the quality of the finalists, particularly considering some of the other photographs which didn't make it through.

As for whether another member of boards took this photo; If it is simplicious all the best to him. But I have seen him take photos that I have liked and are of a much higher standard than the entries in this competition. This just isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Maybe the judges will give some context when they discuss it on Friday's Tubridy show.

Are the shortlisted images worthy? Well, i don't know by what they are measuring it with so i'll leave it to a case of I think there is potential with them.

From the shortlisted ones shown I'd think that there is more than photography being looked for - I think they may have gone beyond looking for technical perfection (or ignored it as a requirement) to looking for a certain emotion to be contained/conveyed in the finalist images but again I don't know the specifics of their criteria so that could be bull.

I went to enter an image last night (lol doh! :D) so i've no particular interest in the final outcome.

Perhaps the judges have also figured that it also doesn't matter whether you shoot canon or nikon i.e. the technical quality of the final photograph is inmaterial as a basic phone can produce a good photograph in the right hands. Maybe they were happy with snapshots - but perhaps what matters is the 'look' of the irish and not the photographic medium. Each of the final images (as well as nearly every image entered) conveys a certain 'look' - why Anthony's or the other three - i'm not sure, but I thus think they are worthy for inclusion.

Anyway I won't sell out for my art and I'll keep my image to myself (lmao - coded speak for I was a lazy fecker and didn't get my butt in gear ;)).

Roll on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Very poor finalists I think. I like the one of the man and the woman, by far the best in my opinion.

The fireworks picture is really nice too, but for the life of me I can't work out how it fits into the breif, any ideas?

Advertisement