Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10 Bulbs power use.

Options
  • 02-08-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Folks, Can someone please give a straight answer? How much power does a 50 watt GU10 bulb use? I have eight 50 watt in one room. Will there be any energy saving if I fit transformers instead?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

400watt in total.there's no need to change fittings. cfl and led versions are available in gu10.leds and cfl will reduce power consumption to about 25 watt and 100 watt respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

50 Watts? (per bulb)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Thanks Dave, I've seen the new replacment led style.The problem is the cost.I've got thirty two to replace!!I was told by one elec shop that the best way was to fit transformers to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

we also had 8 gu10 50 watt bulbs in one room however we now have 9 watt equivalent brightness ones fitted instead

there's an 'energy saver' halogen http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/home/esb_eah_apr_may09.pdf or lower wattage (obviously) if you're staying with halogen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The problem is the cost.
    It often is! I have seen LED replacements (see below) that cost up to €30. They will take many years to pay for themselves (if ever!). The light quality can often be poor. Personally I dont rate them. I am sure that in time issues with price and light quality will be sorted.

LED-GU10-WHITE.jpg

I was told by one elec shop that the best way was to fit transformers to them.
    I would guess that the shop was referring to the fact that a 50 watt downlighter lamp that operates at 12 volts rather than mains voltage (230 volts) gives out far more light for the same power consumption (and therfore same running cost).

The 12 volt dichroic lamps (see below) give a far higher quality of light than thier 230 volt GU10 equivalent.

57623507_ecs.jpg

there's an 'energy saver' halogen http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/..._apr_may09.pdf or lower wattage (obviously) if you're staying with halogen
    +1, that is the type of thing that I would go for.

'payback time' for led will depend on usage .the 'tenner' leds at most wholesalers seem ok .if staying with halogen replace failed bulbs with 'energy saver' type and consider suitable soft-start dimmers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

'payback time' for led will depend on usage
    True, and if you only pay €10 for it rather than €30 the pay back will be even less. Having said this, you get what you pay for and a €10 LED lamp will give very poor quality light resulting in extreamly bad colour rendering properties. For some applications this may be suitable, but for a living room, kitchen etc. they would not be. Poor quality lighting can completly change the "mood" of a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yjmlighting

Hi Folks, Can someone please give a straight answer? How much power does a 50 watt GU10 bulb use? I have eight 50 watt in one room. Will there be any energy saving if I fit transformers instead?
    Thanks.

Hi, 8 pcs 50 watt bulbs will heat your room and waste much of [URL="app:ds:electrical energy"]electrical [/URL]

energy, we recommand you 3W LED bulbs for a replacement.

Advertisement