Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King of the Fighters 12 - runt of the '09 litter?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Being looking forward to this game for a while (even being doing a little practice on KOF '98), but the reviews are pretty poor. 5 On game spot and 6 on ign. Really disappointed, and given the unpopularity of KOF (compared to Tekken and SF) over here and a critical lack of funds, means that I will probably pass on this in favor of Blazblu. Sad really as KOF is a really unique series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I was chatting to my friend about this game before it was even mentioned of a console release back in febuary, when asked about how it was, he replied, and this is an exact quote.

'Hey how's KoF12 then?'
    '****IN **** LOLOLOLOLOLOL'

I played it in london some time ago, and i was very, VERY dissapointed in it, i won't be buying it.

The game is bugged beyond belief, has typical SNK netcode, which is TERRIBLE, theres only 5 stages & 2 are just night time versions, to that sorta makes 3 stages, the roster is bad compared to 2002's 56 characters or something like that, KoF12 has 22 & no favourites. It's a tier whore game, and it's just KoF99 with less characters & less moves.

I'll be avoiding it until it's 20 quid pre-owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Usual SNK netcode, stripped down roster, disappointing to all longtime KOF fans - says it all really. If you want a non-Capcom game this summer, buy BlazBlue seems to be the consensus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SNK should just license the 2DF or GGPO netcode like capcom did for HD Remix. It's a joke that I can't play garou and samurai showdown online.

You can, just use GGPO/2DF. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HD Remix isn't actually GGPO, though. It's based on the Jap DC version (which had netcode), just with tuning helped by GGPO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's a shame, was really pleased to hear about the updated sprites and didn't think the game would turn out so half-assed.

I don't find a 22 character roster too bad, but 6 stages and no boss character? I'm also hearing reports of broken online play and lack of player modes.

Will probably pick it up on the cheap when it drops in price, in the meantime, I would hope that SNK do a better job with the next KOF now that they have a solid amount of sprites done. '09 has been pretty damn good for fighting games, shame they missed the boat with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

KOF XII is great in versus. Outside of versus its worthless, there is a severe lack of features and gameplay options in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

anyone even a KOF fan, i was never a fan, seemed too rigid to me, so dont see any one new picking this up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

I'm no expert (I only have '98, '01, CVS2, and XI) but I thoroughly enjoy it.

The reviews primarily pan the lack of features and modes rather than the actualy gameplay. Its a bit shocking that SNK thought they could get away with releasing KOF XII when it is even lacking a complete arcade mode. KOF XII doesn't tick alot of boxes that it should, no question about that. Outside of versus it is rubbish. But the game system in place is great. I can only hope KOF XIII sorts all the problems of KOF XII out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only played '95 and '98 and they were fantastic games. The battle system is excellent and it has some great characters. The SNK system can be difficult to get used to but once you do it's great. I heard KOF XI was fantastic as well.

What I'm hearing from hardcore gaming 101 is that the game mechanics are solid and really enjoyable and well balanced. What lets it down is the total lack of any extras or even a single player mode. What lets it down big time is the awful online component. They say it's only worth it if you will be playing it locally in multiplayer a lot. The lack of stages and characters compared to previous games, especially the exclusion of fan favourites, is a bit of a downer but I think SNK are using this as a new platform to build upon like how each KOF was a refinement of the old game. Still bit of a shame, was looking forward to it but it seems Blue Blaz is just leagues ahead of it.

Look to be honest all I really want is the versus mode.

You should be fine then it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Shotopunx wrote: »
    Look to be honest all I really want is the versus mode.

Yeah I would too, if i had someone to play with consistently. But I practice online a lot so good net code is a must really.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What I'm hearing from hardcore gaming 101 is that the game mechanics are solid and really enjoyable and well balanced. What lets it down is the total lack of any extras or even a single player mode. What lets it down big time is the awful online component. They say it's only worth it if you will be playing it locally in multiplayer a lot.

And a lot of bugs and infinites that are being discovered disturbingly fast after the console release!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

It seems SNK have bitten off more than they can chew with regards to the art style - three and a half years of work have given us those sprites, a game engine which is by most accounts solid, and little else. The pixel art is beautiful, but if they had done this in the style of SF4 or even Blazblue then we'd have a more full-featured game that we'd have gotten sooner.

Having said that, though...

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=202485

Dreddybasj wrote:
    And a lot of bugs and infinites that are being discovered disturbingly fast after the console release!
    Disturbing is right.
    They should've been found in the arcade version first!

Proof indeed that KOF XII is the runt, if even arcade-goers didn't learn to exploit it first. (or just as likely - no-one cared to document the bugs & infinites)

KOF isn't a big game in the West and never has been. BB and SFIV have / have had infinites in them. So its no reason to blast KOF XII just because it has two. If you have actually seen them, the damage scaling makes them useless and they are quite situational.

I'm not blasting it just because of that, I'm blasting it because of all the other horrible things outlined in this thread too!

edit: Also an infinite is by definition never useless as you can run out the timer with it even if the damage scales to 0 per hit.

LOL here is an awesome bug! Was playing vs with a friend and the game suddenly crashed and my 360 red ringed. Guess what, this is a known issue. The versus screen can occasionally crash the game :mad:

• Advertisement

Should be playing on PS3 then ;)

I'm not entirely convinced the game cause the console to red ring.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not entirely convinced the game cause the console to red ring.

Do you care to put forward another explaination? The game stopped spinning in the drive from what I could hear. The screen began to tear and jump. My 360 red ringed and crashed. I thought it was proper gone, but 5 minutes later all was well. <Here>, offline issues 3rd one down.

The red ring is caused by the video chipset coming loose on the motherboard due to overheating. I'm not convinced that one game loading screen could have caused this all by itself. Hanging the game maybe. RROD, still not convinced.

There are bound to be other conditions that initiate the 3 red lights. Please note I did not say that the loading screen made the soldering come loose on the chipboard.

It IS entirely possible that the game's code randomly makes all cores run at 100%, thus increasing the risk of RROD.

INCREDIBLE GAME

Bad netcode yeah, but otherwise so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Has anyone bought this half baked excuse for a K.O.F. game? If not then don't. It has half the cast of its predecessor,the online is completely unplayable(even with a patch),there's only one single player mode-time attack. :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Was playing this again last night for the first time in while. I like it more than I did, and don't think it's bad like most people say. I think people just like to complain.

Advertisement