Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retired Parent Entrepreneurs

• 02-08-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Writing this thread on behalf of my parents as they're computer illiterate. Dad was a factory worker (previously part-time farmer) and mam was a GO. Now they're both retired and don't really know what to do with themselves.

Well my that statement isn't 100% true but I gues they're kinda stuck in their ways. They have land (about 5-6 acres behind the house) and another field a km from the house which is boggy. About 15 years ago we planted Christmas trees in it and were promised that aftr 6 years they'd be bought back from us at a profit but the company went bust and we lost a few grand and they've been skeptical about getting into anything the wasn't guaranteed to work after that.

What I want to find out is if there are any people out there who have started their own businesses from home - maybe selling duck eggs (my sister heard that on the radio recently), making jam or raising goats or something different. Would like to find out and maybe see if I can get someone to advise them or show them a business model as they have time on their hands and are hardworking (my father has a lovely garden with spuds, brocolli, tomatoes, turnips etc planted so he's a hands on fella).

God bless,

Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I dont know of anything profitable. But we produce our own meat, eggs and veg on similiar acreage. Other then cutting down you living costs by producing your own food , i dont know of any profitable means of providing income on scale scale farming. We have goats, and these are not profitable unless for milk on a large scale. Kids are hard to sell from them. Ducks maybe, but that would be a big commitment of time and money to setup. They could have a farmer market stall and sell surplus?
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Maybe the farmers market is a good idea. I wonder would produce you sell be taxed or what's the story there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

You would need to reg as been self employed and do annual returns. From speaking to others doing similiar, it wasnt worth it. you dont earn enough doing farmers markets for all the hassle of paperwork and tax returns.The paperwork and redtape for selling meat or dairy is a minefield! i think best to produce for own use therefore costing down on their own costs.Sell surplus to neighbours etc or feed it back to your animals.
    I guess it depends on what they want at the end of the day, do they want to retire and relax and enjoy life or invest money and alot of time into something new with risk?
    Food has gotten so cheap,stuffed chicken in the shop are the same price as a 2 wk broiler. So how can you compete?

Advertisement