Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is international sms so expensive?

• 02-08-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Before it used to be free, then it used to be 10p (the same as any text message at the time). but then all the mobile phone networks at the same time decided to bring an extra charge for sending them internationally. how did this happen and why?

the same with the 'connection charge' and 'minimum call charge' they brought in last year, how are mobile phone networks allowed to collectively bring in these charges without being accused of running a cartel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Leaving aside the notion of a cartel and them all bringing these things in as a group decision ... it makes sense that if the competitor is making money off it why shouldn't you?

I don't agree with it .. texts cost networks so little .. but just my thoughts on it.

When were international texts free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

well if your getting free texts to any network or free calls on netork they need to bring back that lsot revenue somewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

It's about 30c for international texts isn't it? Roaming texts are now 13c. They should be brought into line, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mental07 wrote: »
    It's about 30c for international texts isn't it? Roaming texts are now 13c. They should be brought into line, imho.
    Was thinking the same thing. 30c is daylight robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

25cent.

• Advertisement

Was thinking the same thing. 25c is daylight robbery. Does anyone know how much it costs on meteor BPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Random wrote: »
    Leaving aside the notion of a cartel and them all bringing these things in as a group decision ... it makes sense that if the competitor is making money off it why shouldn't you?

I don't agree with it .. texts cost networks so little .. but just my thoughts on it.

When were international texts free?

in 1999 they were free. if every other guy is bringing in this charge does it not make sense for one company to say 'we don't charge extra for international text' and a fair few people who send a lot of international texts will move to that company
    Was thinking the same thing. 25c is daylight robbery. Does anyone know how much it costs on meteor BPL?
    15c

towel401 wrote: »
    in 1999 they were free. if every other guy is bringing in this charge does it not make sense for one company to say 'we don't charge extra for international text' and a fair few people who send a lot of international texts will move to that company

I guess its all about money and if they see one company get away with it the others will follow. That way the customers won't have a choice and have to pay the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

squared wrote: »
    I guess its all about money and if they see one company get away with it the others will follow. That way the customers won't have a choice and have to pay the charges.

its freaking crazy that they would get away with it since price-fixing is kind of frowned upon in this day and age.

25c is freaking ridiculous, thats more expensive than my satellite phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Think about it this way. You've moved abroad, you have your Irish phone with you. You then get a phone with a network in the country you've moved to.

It's 13c to text an Irish number from your Irish phone, at roaming rate. While it's 25c-30c to text the same number from your foreign network. Which phone will you be using to text the most?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭embraer170

Living abroad (within the EU) for almost a year and I still use my Irish phone to send all my non-local texts. Now pay 13c to text to text anywhere, as opposed to using my local phone here which would cost almost 60c...

Advertisement