Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Application - Any Point?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Hello to all. I'm considering putting in for new centre fire but am not sure there's any point this side of December, what with all the palaver surrounding the CJB and all that malarkey.

What do any of you guys reckon?

It's a .223 I'm looking for, just to make things more hassle, as I think they've a problem with that round around my way, what with it being a military round, and of course therefore more lethal than anything else:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

should be no issue with a .223 (assuming it's not a black semi automatic). What district are you applying in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Alright Ned, no it's not an AR, though having recently had a go on one of them I would be tempted! I'd say they're all kaput after these new ammendments though.

I'm applying in the North East. What am really after are opinions as to whether I should leave it to after the renewals or should I just go on ahead and chance my arm. Probably do the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hello to all. I'm considering putting in for new centre fire but am not sure there's any point this side of December, what with all the palaver surrounding the CJB and all that malarkey.

What do any of you guys reckon?

It's a .223 I'm looking for, just to make things more hassle, as I think they've a problem with that round around my way, what with it being a military round, and of course therefore more lethal than anything else:rolleyes:

In July I tried to submit an application in my local substation to change from a .22lr to a HMR. The application was refused and the reason given was that they're not accepting new applications at this time.

Now, whether that's true across all the board or not, I simply don't know, but it's what I was told here in Connemara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I recently spoke to the FO in my local station in louth and looked for an amendment to my 22lr license to a 223 and she had no problem doin it.
    She checked with the sarge and he was fine with it aswell.
    In the end I went for a 17 hmr anyway but he said it wouldnt be a problem. I had 22 license for 10 years though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'm applying in the North East. What am really after are opinions as to whether I should leave it to after the renewals or should I just go on ahead and chance my arm. Probably do the latter.
    The new process is going to take a year to complete, so waiting for that would be an exercise in frustration ;)

The main reason most people were saying to hold off on new applications were due to a combination of (a) not knowing what provisions the new act would contain, (b) waiting for the new forms and (c) waiting for the Garda guidelines.

It's two out of three at this point, and as it seems it may be another week before we see the guidelines, I'd wait until then.

No particular reason other than having all the facts is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I'd say let it bed in for a bit. Thinking of changing my gun and getting rid of a shotgun for a rifle but decided to wait till October or so. There is as musch confusion with the Gardai over the changes as in the shooting community. Just my thoughts

Spoke to my dealer tonight about the HMR, since I've already paid for it :rolleyes: Told him what the cop said and he said it wasn't good enough and to go back. That will be fun as he's already given me a definite "No", yet elsewhere they're taking them :rolleyes:

johngalway wrote: »
    Spoke to my dealer tonight about the HMR, since I've already paid for it :rolleyes: Told him what the cop said and he said it wasn't good enough and to go back. That will be fun as he's already given me a definite "No", yet elsewhere they're taking them :rolleyes:
    Go in with the new form. That should help move things on a bit as I think the only source of these at the moment is the Garda website.

Good idea that RRPC, I'll give it a go :)

Or would I be better of renewing the .22lr first then substituting?

johngalway wrote: »
    Good idea that RRPC, I'll give it a go :)

Or would I be better of renewing the .22lr first then substituting?
    Well you could be a while waiting for all that to happen, so why not do two at a time and cause complete mayhem and confusion? ;)

Seriously, it's the same form, all the boxes are there and it should be as simple and as straightforward for everybody as making the new application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have been informed via the FPU that my license application for my .308 has at last gone to Dublin this 4th August, applied on 1st April so it's on the old type form.

It will be instresting to see what I get back. I expect I'll get the old type license and an extention letter at the same time. :rolleyes:

Advertisement