Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** CAO offers - how they work **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

almostover wrote: »
    Does one get an offer on level 6/7 and level 8 if one filled out both sections on the cao form.
    Yes, provided you have enough points to qualify for at least one of your preferences in each section, you should get an offer in each section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I was wondering, say If I repeated just maths as I didn't meet the entry requirements for a course XYZ and I wanted to reapply for it again next year through the CAO. Would I need the points from the original year I did the LC or the year I repeated maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

peterp wrote: »
    Thanks Randylonghorn.. Good info and links.
    Unfortunately, I didn't apply for any L7/6 courses as I was confident I'd get the 400+ .. How fecking stupid was that.
    Hindsight is a great thing ! ;o(

Will take your advice and keep an eye on the vacant positions after Aug 18th..

I'm in the exact same boat as you, don't think i will get offered anything off my CAO, needed about 340 for most of my choices, but only got 295 :(
    Was sure id get at least 300 so didn't fill out any level 7/6 courses. Ill be keeping a close eye on the vacant spots, really hoping a electronic/computer type course comes up in WIT.

Quick question, do you have to pay to take a course off the vacant spot list if you can? if so whats the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

creggy wrote: »
    I was wondering, say If I repeated just maths as I didn't meet the entry requirements for a course XYZ and I wanted to reapply for it again next year through the CAO. Would I need the points from the original year I did the LC or the year I repeated maths?

I am open to correction on this but I think it works like this;

If you repeat the LC say two times, your best LC is taken to calc your points, while all of them are used for the entry requirements.

So say if you got the following results;

LC i) 255 failed HL maths and HL English but passed everything else
    LC ii) 80 repeated HL maths and HL English and passed

Your point will be 255 and you are deemed to have passed all subject including maths and English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Right so.......

My portfolio got accepted to NCAD

I have met the matriculation requirments.(no points)

I'll defo get it yes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

peterp wrote: »

Will take your advice and keep an eye on the vacant positions after Aug 18th..

from 12 o clock the 18th. There may be a course you want listed there with only 1 place left so be on the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

If I accept my round 1 offer on Monday can I then accept a course on the Available Places/Vacant Places list when it comes out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

If I accept my round 1 offer on Monday can I then accept a course on the Available Places/Vacant Places list when it comes out??

Yes you can place it in front of the offer you accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I am open to correction on this but I think it works like this;

If you repeat the LC say two times, your best LC is taken to calc your points, while all of them are used for the entry requirements.

So say if you got the following results;

LC i) 255 failed HL maths and HL English but passed everything else
    LC ii) 80 repeated HL maths and HL English and passed

Your point will be 255 and you are deemed to have passed all subject including maths and English

to count a year for points you have to do at least 6 subjects.
    In LC ii) there all you can do is count them subjects to make up the required grades. even if you got 2 a1s they are totally useless without repeatin 6 subjects:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just about got the points for my course. If I was being silly and appealed one of my exams and was marked down a grade, would I still keep my college place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 toby92

I know this is probably really obvious but if I accept my level 7 offer now,can I still accept one of my level 8 in the second round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

My son didn't get any offers this morning as his points weren't high enough. Is he still in with a chance when the second round comes out?

Jen ;->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jenroche wrote: »
    My son didn't get any offers this morning as his points weren't high enough. Is he still in with a chance when the second round comes out?

Jen ;->

Yup.

toby92 wrote: »
    I know this is probably really obvious but if I accept my level 7 offer now,can I still accept one of my level 8 in the second round offers?
    Yes, if you're lucky enough to get offered one.

Look back over the first post carefully again. :)
    Jenroche wrote: »

Jen ;->
    He's still in with a chance, certainly.

It depends on whether places become available, and whether the points therefore drop sufficiently ... how far off he was might give you some indication of what his chances are.

He could also have a look at the Vacant Places section on the CAO website when it reopens tomorrow ... see here and here. This advertises any places available on courses ... i.e. where sufficient people didn't apply / get the minimum requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 matt606

does anyone know when the second round of cao offers are out? is it the 27th or 28th?

will the a-level candidates be considered in this round?

thanks

matt606 wrote: »
    does anyone know when the second round of cao offers are out? is it the 27th or 28th?

will the a-level candidates be considered in this round?

thanks
    Second round is 28th ... it's listed here above where you log in to your CAO account.

The rumour flying around this forum to-day is that A-level students will get offers next Monday, in a separate offer which wasn't on the official schedule.

Apparently it's the 28th ... see reply from CAO to Sulmac below.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 toby92

Okay im 10 points off what are the chances id get an offer if the points for my course where to drop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 eggsnail

i applied to study mech eng. in gmit.i studied first year in 2006.i was refused the course this time because the points have gone up.I didnt apply as a repeat just applied through cao as i did the first time.Is there anything i can do to get on the course.any help or info would be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Ok...Im finished 1st year pharmacy in Trinity..have a few repeats in a few weeks...I applied to the cao earlier in the year to give myself a few points if I didnt like or failed Pharmacy....anyway, got offered Law in Trinity this week..not mad on it but if I fail the repeats Ill seriously think about it..

My Q: I dont want to accept or decline the offer until I know the consequences. Basically if I accept it,say, tomorrow, am I *obliged* to do it, regardless of whether I pass my repeats or not? I would'nt like to accept it then not take it in case some other student missed out because I took it and had to reapply to the cao or do a different course when they wanted Law in Trinity...How long will the offer last? I wont know my repeat results until 2nd/3rd week in sept...

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Second round is 28th ... it's listed here above where you log in to your CAO account.

The rumour flying around this forum to-day is that A-level students will get offers next Monday, in a separate offer which wasn't on the official schedule.

I e-mailed the CAO about this yesterday (knowing full well that it ain't gonna happen, but wanted confirmation). I got the reply today:
    Each year the offer schedule is agreed by the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), with the timing of the main round of offers (known as round one) being determined by the release date of the Republic of Ireland Leaving Certificate results. This year round one will issue on 17th August. GCE A-level results will be issued on August 20th, a week later than Leaving Certificate results. Admissions Officers are aware of the late issue of GCE results this year. In determining the number of offers to be issued in round one, Admissions Officers will allow for the late issue of GCE results and applicants presenting GCE results will be considered in round two which issues on Friday 28th August.

Round two offers will be available to view on the CAO website at 6am on 28th August.

Further enquiries should be directed to Admissions Offices.

I have no idea where the idea of Monday came from though. :confused:

• Advertisement

Sulmac wrote: »
    I e-mailed the CAO about this yesterday (knowing full well that it ain't gonna happen, but wanted confirmation). I got the reply today:

I have no idea where the idea of Monday came from though. :confused:

Here, for a start:
    logic123 wrote: »
    i rang the CAO this morning and they said offers for a level students go out this monday so perhaps there still basing us on first round, like LESS said we are still part of first round for the reserved places :)

and here ...
    logic123 wrote: »
    there actually giving out offers to A level students on monday before round 2 i rang them and they said that in no way are A level disadvantaged by this, so i think your wrong

Thanks for the more accurate information, Sulmac!

Jay P wrote: »
    I just about got the points for my course. If I was being silly and appealed one of my exams and was marked down a grade, would I still keep my college place?

Can someone please answer my question :)

Can someone please answer my question :)
    I'd say if anyone knew the answer for certain, it would have been answered long ago, Jay. My gut feeling is that it would be unlikely enough that an offer would be withdrawn in most cases (and certainly very few people were downgraded anyway in previous years).

However ... in a course with high competition for places ... I just don't know, tbh.

In a sense it would only be fair ... why should someone retain their place ahead of someone with (now) higher points who didn't get a place?

Really, the only definite answer I can give you is to point out again that only a very tiny number of grades were downgraded after an appeal in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Ok...Im finished 1st year pharmacy in Trinity..have a few repeats in a few weeks...I applied to the cao earlier in the year to give myself a few points if I didnt like or failed Pharmacy....anyway, got offered Law in Trinity this week..not mad on it but if I fail the repeats Ill seriously think about it..

My Q: I dont want to accept or decline the offer until I know the consequences. Basically if I accept it,say, tomorrow, am I *obliged* to do it, regardless of whether I pass my repeats or not? I would'nt like to accept it then not take it in case some other student missed out because I took it and had to reapply to the cao or do a different course when they wanted Law in Trinity...How long will the offer last? I wont know my repeat results until 2nd/3rd week in sept...

Thanks....

Just wondering whether anyone can help me out? Its cool if you cant'...

Offer will last until 25th August (see CAO log-in page) )

No-one can tell you what to do, tbh.

Certainly, if you accept it and then don't take it, someone will lose out ... or at the very best will get a very late Trinity law offer when they may already have accepted another course, perhaps in a different college / sorted accommodation / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

If you accept your offer from cao, when should you hear from the college?

Thanks.

Nemanrio wrote: »
    If you accept your offer from cao, when should you hear from the college?

Thanks.
    It seems to vary quite a bit depending on the college / course.

While I know it would be nice to have the intro pack, etc., I wouldn't be in any panic if it hasn't arrived yet.

I'd say if anyone knew the answer for certain, it would have been answered long ago, Jay. My gut feeling is that it would be unlikely enough that an offer would be withdrawn in most cases (and certainly very few people were downgraded anyway in previous years).

However ... in a course with high competition for places ... I just don't know, tbh.

In a sense it would only be fair ... why should someone retain their place ahead of someone with (now) higher points who didn't get a place?

Really, the only definite answer I can give you is to point out again that only a very tiny number of grades were downgraded after an appeal in the past.

That seems to have cleared things up a bit in my head :) I got the exact points for my course and there was no random selection so everybody who got their points got into the course. Presumably then I'd be safe? I've been quite put off appealing so I don't think I'll bother. Thanks again :)

That seems to have cleared things up a bit in my head :) I got the exact points for my course and there was no random selection so everybody who got their points got into the course. Presumably then I'd be safe? I've been quite put off appealing so I don't think I'll bother. Thanks again :)
    Tbh, if you got your points anyway, why would you bother?

Unless you really feel hard done by in a particular subject? And in that case, if you're so certain that you should have done better, you're at the very least unlikely to be deluding yourself to the point where you are likely to be downgraded (which happens in a tiny number of cases). Whether you actually get upgraded is a different matter.

But again ... if you got what you want ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

It seems to vary quite a bit depending on the college / course.

While I know it would be nice to have the intro pack, etc., I wouldn't be in any panic if it hasn't arrived yet.

So how long would I be looking at roughly? 3 weeks? 6 weeks?

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement