Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

events we used to love in galway

Options
  • 03-08-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

when going through the old galway thread,i realised theres probably been a lot of old traditions/events/festivals that people have great memories from that we no longer have.could we bring these events back,any funny stories,pics or disasters from these events.i remeber the salthill festival,sand castle competitions,sega mega drive competitions in the hill top,having a whale of a time at the beat on the street,i was about ten when it ceased in 93,94.salthill certainly needs it now and mayb a currach race,barna- claddagh?how about the gloucester cheese rolling,could that b done in galway?what do you miss,what would you like to see in your area?the vor proved we need free events to get people interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bring back the Air Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

forgot to mention the showjumping in salthill park,how the hell did that ever come to happen?can imagine the boys drinking bucky on the hill roaring abuse at eddie macken,its your round eddie,not a clear round!madness

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

only 21 so never saw salthill as a going out place couldn't imagine going out in it these days as it seems pretty dead at night would love to go out in the place at least one night where the place is completely alive like my parents tell me it was like when they were going out in galway when they were younger!

only 21 so never saw salthill as a going out place couldn't imagine going out in it these days as it seems pretty dead at night would love to go out in the place at least one night where the place is completely alive like my parents tell me it was like when they were going out in galway when they were younger!

Back in the day,town was for meeting up and a few qwuick drinks before heading to Salthill for the night. I remember when Central Park first opened, people thought it was a crazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I was talking to a girl yesterday who told me she used to be a 'skate guide' at a venue on Eglinton street. They had an Eddie Rockets type diner place where you could eat and then a roller-skate rink with a DJ playing music. Some of those DJs are on local and national radio now apparently. But that sounds like a good night out to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

galwayrush wrote: »
    Back in the day,town was for meeting up and a few qwuick drinks before heading to Salthill for the night. I remember when Central Park first opened, people thought it was a crazy idea.

sounds so alien to me! the only night i ever hear people going on about salthill is st.stephens night apparently if your a native "townie" its the place you go that night!
    i was out in salthill for a work do lately seemed nice and relaxed!
    the clubs in town are ruined in my opinion by a minority of idiots who go out to get pissed and act like retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Im booked there for a week at the end of August ........talk it up ffs

2fm beat on the street in Salthill

Edit - I should have read the full OP - they already mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

That was certainly the way it was. Get fuelled up in town and either get a bus or taxi out to Salthill for the night. Spend soooo many nights in Vagabonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

2fm beat on the street in Salthill.

During the Salthill 'Harp Lager' Festival. Sigh. the good old days. We got ahead of ourselves then with the Guinness 'Gig Rig'. We should have been happy with Bagatelle on the back of a trailer!

Remember when the Beat on the Street was in the Spannie one year?

Also, Twiggs 7up discos with Electric Eddie!

Roller discos upstairs in Seapoint.

The Eyre Square (Music) Festival.

Curry chips from the Wimpy (an event in itself after the Oasis!!)

Too hungover to think of anything else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Wasn't there a beat on the street in Woodquay one year as well?

That was certainly the way it was. Get fuelled up in town and either get a bus or taxi out to Salthill for the night. Spend soooo many nights in Vagabonds.

I spent all my time at the Oasis, then afterwards and often before hand, a feed in Del Rios. :cool: Happy days,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

soundbyte wrote: »
    Curry chips from the Wimpy (an event in itself after the Oasis!!)

Oh the 50:50's now they were unreal. Loads of aromat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Late nights in Punchbag at Spanish Parade.

Late nights in Le Graal

Being shouted at by Séamus in Mick Taylors:P

Healthy food in the Sunflower on Quay St

Lock-ins at Clogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Wasn't there a beat on the street in Woodquay one year as well?

There was one down by the Spanish Arch one year.

Knacker fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Eyre Sq festival + Carnival

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Taxi? We used to have two pints in town, then a pub crawl to Salthill and end up in Vagabonds or the Castle. Even the Warwick back then had a young crowd and then there was CJs, Liquid and the Oslo as well. Who remembers Psychedelia Thusdays downstairs in the castle? Best alternative/indie night ever. They used to hang weird material from the ceiling so you'd get lost on the dance floor and show animations in reverse on the walls. Everyone in there seemed to be completely stoned. Afterwards we used to go to Beefeaters chipper where the Italian is now. Everyone would chill on the streets chattin and eating. Seems to me there weren't as many mouldy, shouty drunks around back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

lovelyhome wrote: »

The blessing of the bay still happens, I was out at it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

cL0h wrote: »
    Afterwards we used to go to Beefeaters chipper where the Italian is now.

May I be pedantic and point out Beefeaters was actually where O'Connor's Off licence is now (Salthill Liquor Store). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

The Motion Club at the Warwick on a friday night.

Roller Disco at the Savoy on Eglington Street.

the Lark in the Park... (i go WAY back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

sam69 wrote: »
    The Motion Club at the Warwick on a friday night.

Roller Disco at the Savoy on Eglington Street.

the Lark in the Park... (i go WAY back :)

So the '69 wasn't innuendo!:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Wednesday nights, FeetFirst in the Castle, man that was some craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

a feed in Del Rios.

Best onion rings of all time :pac:

I used to love the Salthill festival when I was a kid.

More recently going for a few pints in the (old) Roisin and heading to the Warwick on the Thursday nights for Strangebrew is missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

cL0h wrote: »
    Taxi? We used to have two pints in town, then a pub crawl to Salthill and end up in Vagabonds or the Castle. Even the Warwick back then had a young crowd and then there was CJs, Liquid and the Oslo as well. Who remembers Psychedelia Thusdays downstairs in the castle? Best alternative/indie night ever. They used to hang weird material from the ceiling so you'd get lost on the dance floor and show animations in reverse on the walls. Everyone in there seemed to be completely stoned. Afterwards we used to go to Beefeaters chipper where the Italian is now. Everyone would chill on the streets chattin and eating. Seems to me there weren't as many mouldy, shouty drunks around back then.

The reason there weren't as many mouldy dodgy characters (and I'm being serious here) was that heaps of Galways local scumbags were in prison in the late eighties and it had the lowest urban crime rate in the country. We all walked home alone at 3 in the morning then, not a bother. A few of them got out of prison in the summer of '91 (I think) and there was a riot down the dole office that day.. Things were not the same after that.

Anyway, does anyone remember the Quay St/Cross St festival. They closed off the street (before pedestrianisation) and had gigs and kiddy things on the Sat afternoon. It usually happened around mid June. That was the time when the Macnas parade was a random dragon and three drummers wandering through Galway on a Sat afternoon of the Arts festival!! NO streets closed for it, just a bit of random madness

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Seapoint used to be a great venue for all kinds of concerts/gigs right up to the mid nineties or so.It's been there so long,I'd say there's people around who even have great-grandparents that met there at dances decades ago.

A real classic ballroom,and now it's used for bingo FFSake! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

BOOGALOO at the Black Box

And Outrageous.

Advertisement