Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else notice their facebook information is being used in adverts?

• 03-08-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking at a non-Facebook website tonight and what do I see? An advert with my name and photo in it. As in, and advert directed at me using my own personal information to get my attention.

WTF?!

I am stunned that my Facebook information and IP has obviously been shared with some advertising company.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

Have you signed up for any of the 3rd party games and clicked "allow access to my profile"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They were meant to have reversed that last week. If youre still seeing ads like that report them immediately. To facebook admins, and Especially to these folk:

email: tips@consumerist.com

http://consumerist.com/5326719/facebook-bans-advertisers-from-stealing-your-photo-to-sell-stuff-to-your-friends
    Facebook has firmly told app developers that it's not okay for them to steal your wife's photo from her profile page and use it to entice others into a sexy local singles dating service.

According to Facebook, this has never been allowed:

Please remember that developers have never been allowed to send user data received from Facebook to ad networks, and we take firm action against this. If you run code provided by an ad network in the operation of your application, be sure you understand what this code does.

Except of course for the part where it happened and they made money of it.

Jacking people's personal content without their consent to use in ads has never been okay, says Facebook, but now the smack is being laid down, now that the rest of the internet has noticed one month after we posted about it.

A point of clarification: in a previous post about this, we said that there was a way within the settings to opt-out of the ads using your photos in Facebook. That's just for official Facebook ads themselves, not for ads deployed by 3rd-party apps. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

Someone else posted in relation to this a while back...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055630040

Advertisement