Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF7 Length

Options
  • 03-08-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

About a month or two ago I downloaded FF7 on psn and played it an alrigh bit for the first week or two. More recently Iv only really been playing it very little and for only an hour or something at a time.

So I think that my main prob is that I'm still only at the first disk, so I feel that I'm only about 1/3 if not more through the game.
    At the moment Im just after doing the chocobo racing to get out of the prison.

So I'm wondering how long do I have left and am I even that far through the first disk.

Thanks for all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

You've a good bit to go before hitting the second disk

You've got about 6 other places to visit before you hit the next disk!

Just lvl up as much as you can on the way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well the first disc is the longest, and id say your about 2/3's of the way through the 1st disc although that could be extended if you have yuffie in your party as then you've to do a long side quest. Its fun though and adds to the story.

Second disc is no where near as long as disc 1 and third disc is really short, so keep going! the story gets much better!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh also ignore the post about levelling up, you don't need to do it at all in FFVII, the game is a total cakewalk. Just don't run from battles and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Thanks lads for the replies.

What I'd played I'd really enjoyed so I think I'm gonna stick to it.

Ah right I would of thought the disks would have been about the same length so thats good news, because otherwise at the rate I'm going I would have been playing it til about this time next year.

Its very easy I think, My party has wiped only the once, and that was against the first boss of the whole game...

Will definately keep going if the story gets better (I'm loving the story already so far.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The last disc is basically the final dungeon and was a last minute addition because they couldn't fit it on to the second disc. However prepare to do some sidequests as well since the last boss can be tough without the sidequest rewards.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh also ignore the post about levelling up, you don't need to do it at all in FFVII, the game is a total cakewalk. Just don't run from battles and you will be fine.

I agree to an extent, but i will say this, make sure to dupe your save before you go into the temple of ancients.

I made the mistake of not doing this the first time around, and theres a boss called demons gate and i couldnt beat him. Wasnt a case of being unlucky i just wasnt strong enough, he hits very hard. And i was unable to get to any random battles to level up at that point.

So in short i made a big **** up and had to restart the game from scratch :(

Thanks lads for the replies.

What I'd played I'd really enjoyed so I think I'm gonna stick to it.

Ah right I would of thought the disks would have been about the same length so thats good news, because otherwise at the rate I'm going I would have been playing it til about this time next year.

Its very easy I think, My party has wiped only the once, and that was against the first boss of the whole game...

Will definately keep going if the story gets better (I'm loving the story already so far.)

Yeah dont stop playing whatever you do, game gets better and better :D

Also a tip for you, when you get to Cosmo canyon you will eventually go into a short dungeon with a boss. They are all undead so you can use your healing abilities on them to do damage, throw a phoenix down at the end boss and you will one shot him :)

Never found Demon gate that tough really. Caught me off gaurd the first time but just threw every I had at him and he went down pretty fast. Anyway still better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it was the Dragon before Demon's gate that got me first time.

Also the guy in the safe in Nebliheim (but he is optional).

Yeah second time around i destroyed him, i just was really really low level when fighting him :(

Pretty much all his attacks left my characters in the yellow except maybe Cloud, i even tried using megalixers every turn and still i failed :(

I agree to an extent, but i will say this, make sure to dupe your save before you go into the temple of ancients.

I made the mistake of not doing this the first time around, and theres a boss called demons gate and i couldnt beat him. Wasnt a case of being unlucky i just wasnt strong enough, he hits very hard. And i was unable to get to any random battles to level up at that point.

Will do, I'v been keeping two saves all the way just in case anyhow.

Yeah dont stop playing whatever you do, game gets better and better :D
    Also a tip for you, when you get to Cosmo canyon you will eventually go into a short dungeon with a boss. They are all undead so you can use your healing abilities on them to do damage, throw a phoenix down at the end boss and you will one shot him :)
    Hehe thanks for the tip :)

Also another Question, is there any role that each character is better of doing? At the mo I have cloudas a sort of Magic DPS and The Fire Fox thing as a meelee dps, and with Tifa as Healer.

• Advertisement

Aeris is the best Magic user, Red XIII is also very good. Cath Sith and Yuffie are good choices too as they can stay in the back row.

Aeris is the best healer cos of her limit breaks, Barrett and Cloud are the best physical attackers at your point in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

noodler wrote: »
    Also the guy in the safe in Nebliheim (but he is optional).

Hated him the first time i played the game. fought him about 6 times. B**tard

Actually all the characters are basically the same in the game. They don't differ at all really except in their limit breaks and the materia you equip. Stats aren't diversified at all really and make no difference after the initial part of the game. It's one of my beefs with the battle system. You can give them any roles you want. However you are probably better off just sticking the best materia on each character but making sure everyone has cure. There's really no point in diversifying since the best combination is the best materia and summons with curing abilities and it doesn't affect stats significantly.

Yeah retro hit it on the nail, I myself tend to form my groups on character preference and limit breaks.

I was quite fond of having Cid in my group, hes funny and his limits kickass. :pac:

Actually all the characters are basically the same in the game. They don't differ at all really except in their limit breaks and the materia you equip. Stats aren't diversified at all really and make no difference after the initial part of the game. It's one of my beefs with the battle system. You can give them any roles you want. However you are probably better off just sticking the best materia on each character but making sure everyone has cure. There's really no point in diversifying since the best combination is the best materia and summons with curing abilities and it doesn't affect stats significantly.
    nix wrote: »
    Yeah retro hit it on the nail, I myself tend to form my groups on character preference and limit breaks.

I was quite fond of having Cid in my group, hes funny and his limits kickass. :pac:

Common misperception, often stated by Retro. Even in FF7, there are subtle differences. Aeris/Red XIII are simply better magic users at, say level 10, then Barret and Tifa are at the same level.

I am all for criticising the homogeneity/ease/whatever of FF7's characters in a combat sense but they still level up slightly differently.

The difference is so slight that it really makes no difference though. I had Aerith as one of my best physical attackers and barret could throw out some very damaging magic as well. There might have been small differences in damage but it was nigh on negligable and the best strategy to winning the game is just to turf on the best materia. The best sey up seems to be all 3 elemental magics a cure and any other fancy stuff you want on there after that.

noodler wrote: »
    Aeris is the best Magic user, Red XIII is also very good. Cath Sith and Yuffie are good choices too as they can stay in the back row.

Aeris is the best healer cos of her limit breaks, Barrett and Cloud are the best physical attackers at your point in the game.

Major spoiler below, don't read if you haven't finished it.
    I would have thought it to be bad to have her because of her demise later on in the game.

Yeah plus you can get them potion thingies, names escape me now. That boost your magic and other stats, so very easy to rebalance or surpass.

You can also gain a huge advantage early on in the game if you know where to get enemy skills, like say big guard for example you can get that as soon you leave costa del sol. Which is just amazing for you considering it's awhile yet before you even get the barrier materia, nevermind level it all the way up to Wall. Pretty sure it casts haste too :eek:

Hummm i think im gonna play FF7 again, oh noes :(

I think we'd only be arguing over degrees tbh Retro. Suffice to say, Cloud and Barrett are stronger physically at the same levels as Aeris. That was the only point I was making.

Enemy Skills are excellent but do make you a 1 man killing machine (u still gotta know where to find the best ones tho-u generally don't on your 1st run)

I hope the poster two above me hasn't just ruined some of the story for you OP! Anyway, I enjoyed having Aeris in my party for excellent magic spells (less dilution when using all materia) as well as her handy limits. It also allowed me to work on a weaker character in the subsequent discs (cos yes, the games quite easy and losing one of my better EXPed characters balanced things a little).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really struggled with Demon's Gate the first time. I still remember the feeling of elation when he went down. I then played to the end of the disc...good times...

• Advertisement

Guys use bloody spoilers guys!

Anyway I think by far the easiest way to abuse the game is to use the double and triple growth weapons exclusively. I used them on my second playthrough and had ridiculous spells early in the game. Also you seem to get new extra growth weapons just as the old ones are becoming obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Never found Demon gate that tough really. Caught me off gaurd the first time but just threw every I had at him and he went down pretty fast. Anyway still better safe than sorry.

The demon gate is the only really dangerous boss if you're playing a run from every battle game, IMO, including Emerald and Ruby Weapons.

Guys use bloody spoilers guys!

Anyway I think by far the easiest way to abuse the game is to use the double and triple growth weapons exclusively. I used them on my second playthrough and had ridiculous spells early in the game. Also you seem to get new extra growth weapons just as the old ones are becoming obsolete.

If i recall you cant get x3 growth on items until atleast disc 2, now i know some armors can give 2x growth but they are really small and can only hold like 2-4 materia. But its been ages since i played so im probably wrong :P

And noodler i know you were only talking about stats :D I was just meerley adding that it didnt really matter about the minimal stat differences, the game is still easy and can be made alot easier with enemy skills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youre forgetting all the chocobo stuff anyway. god thats fun.

my first full run on the game i weighed easily 80+ hours. Thats not including
    Getting my ass stomped in the caves under RedXIIIs canyon homeplace and deciding that Rushing through the whole game was a terrible idea combat-wise.
    I then proceeded to start a fresh file. Well worth it though. You appreciate lots more of the stuff on the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

quick question has anyone ever had any trouble equipping level 4 limit breaks?

Have you gained the limit breaks for every other level (1,2 and 3) for that character?

If you are missing a limit break for a character then you need to go back to that level and try to get it back.

I believe the first one in a level, lets say level 2, is gained by killing a certain number of people whilst the other one (again in level 2 for example) us gained by winning a certain number of battles.

Anyway, I hope you already know you need a special item per charcter to gain the level 4 limit break for a character i.e. it can not be learnt in the same way outline above.

EDIT: The following link has some spoilers on what the limit breaks are but its informative enough

http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-7/ff7-limit-breaks.php

I was incorrect on one score, some limits are gained by using the previous one a set number of times, whilst other are gained (as I said correctly this time) by killing a set number of enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

ah that was it was missing a previous limit break ... thanks :)

No problem, I just read that back and its a hideous mess. Glad I gave you a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

nix wrote: »

Dude i done the same thing on my firs run through the game, couldnt beat him at all...

But then i figured out... the room where you get the black materia with all the drawings on the walls has random battles...

You can still access that like!

So if you get to demons gate and arent strong enough, go back to that room and fight your way up!

You never needed to restart game...

Sorry

• Advertisement

muboop1 wrote: »
    Dude i done the same thing on my firs run through the game, couldnt beat him at all...

But then i figured out... the room where you get the black materia with all the drawings on the walls has random battles...

You can still access that like!

So if you get to demons gate and arent strong enough, go back to that room and fight your way up!

You never needed to restart game...

Sorry

Oh i tried that, after the boss fight i couldnt get into a random battle anywhere. I specificly remember running around that room for about 5 mins, and every other area up to the next boss :(

Advertisement