Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zenit Saint Petersburg Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 03-08-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

dont watch russian league but is it midseason in russia now?? where are zenit and cska if it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Russian football is brilliant, an under rated premiership hotbed of footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I do like zenits news jerseys, been meaning to pick one up for awhile now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

How's Danny doing at Zenit since his move?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Link
    Advocaat sacked as Zenit manager

Advocaat was at Zenit for three years
    Russian club Zenit St Petersburg have sacked coach Dick Advocaat following a run of disappointing results.

Zenit suggested that the 61-year-old's decision to become Belgium coach at the end of the season may have contributed to the side's recent poor run of form.

"The club's leadership and board of directors have decided to dismiss Dick Advocaat," read a statement.

Advocaat took over in 2006 and led Zenit to Uefa Cup glory in 2008 with a 2-0 win over his former club Rangers.

The Zenit statement continued: "Dick Advocaat has done a lot for the team and his name will forever be associated with the success Zenit has achieved over the past few seasons.

"Under his leadership, many new glorious pages in Zenit's history have been written and fans will never forget the title-winning season of 2007 and the team's magnificent performance in Europe in 2008.

"Unfortunately, after deciding to take on the role of national coach of the Belgian national team, Zenit's performances have deteriorated notably and neither the fans nor the club's leadership are satisfied with the league position the club finds itself in."

Zenit made the decision to dismiss the former Netherlands coach after a 2-0 home defeat by lowly Tom Tomsk. It was Zenit's fourth league game without a win and has resulted in the club dropping to seventh in the table.

Last week, Advocaat criticised the club's new sporting director, former Russia international Igor Korneev, for his role in the signing of midfielder Alessandro Rosina from Torino.

The Dutchman said he "no longer wanted to work with Korneev" after he was not consulted over the signing of the Italian.

In the past year, Advocaat had also lost key players such as Andrey Arshavin, Anatoly Tymoschuk and Pavel Pogrebniak and was reported to be frustrated that adequate replacements had not been found.

Youth team manager Anatoly Davydov will take temporary charge of the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Ranieri to take over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Or Guus Hiddink. Would be handy, with him in the Russian job too. Plus they've got €€€€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What's the general view among russian fans of MacGeady's move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

McGeady played his first game for Spartak this weekend.

Here's the assist he got for the opening goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Disgusting, racist club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have to say..Zenit has the nicest football jersey I've ever seen...
    I think in a thread here back last year or so everyone raved it when they saw it. But they are an extremely racist club which is scandalous in this day and age..
    then again you've idiots at every club.

Zenit+St.+Petersburg+Home+Shirt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Think them Russians had a few vodkas when printing McGeadys name on his jersey :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I may be over in Russia later this season, how easy is it to buy match tickets for clubs in Moscow and Zenit games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

hitman79 wrote: »
    Think them Russians had a few vodkas when printing McGeadys name on his jersey :eek:

Not many clubs you'd sign for and go to looking for the number 46 and its already taken, took 64 instead.

МАКГИДИ translates to MAKGIDI :D

http://spartak.com/main/14/16/5010/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Obaraten wrote: »
    Which club?:confused:

Zenit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Obaraton, Can you tell me if Bilyletdinov off Everton is any use? You seem to know your Russian football so maybe you can tell me why Everton spent £9m on a very ordinary player :eek:

Care to explain that comment?

Isn't it well known that the Zenit ultras are extremely racist? I remember hearing lots of stories about the abuse of black players playing for opposition clubs and its the only club in Russia that have never signed a black player. When Balotelli was linked to them Zenit fans held a banner up at an u21 match between Russia and Italy saying 'Balotelli,We don't want you here'.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Isn't it well known that the Zenit ultras are extremely racist? I remember hearing lots of stories about the abuse of black players playing for opposition clubs and its the only club in Russia that have never signed a black player. When Balotelli was linked to them Zenit fans held a banner up at an u21 match between Russia and Italy saying 'Balotelli,We don't want you here'.
    Just because there is an element of stupidity from certain fans doesnt mean you can tar the whole club with "racism",im sure you know the upteen incidents in spanish,italian leagues of racist occurances from differing fans towards players etc

As far as i know it isn't the club that don't want to sign black players its that certain fans would make it almost impossible, numerous players have said it and i think i read somewhere before that Advocaat said it when he was in charge.

We don't hear much about the Russian league over here and i had heard about the racism at Zenit etc. but after a bit of reading you will see it is the some of the supporters and not the club that are racist, which you can't exactly blame the club for, i understand racism is a big problem with most of the clubs in Russia roo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Nice ball thru there by McGeady. Looking forward to seeing him with Spartak in the CL.
    Especially games v Chelsea. I reckon he will do well there, and is off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

A club is definitely racist to the core when they can't even sign a black player. You can seriously get the boat if you're trying to claim its just a few bad men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Just because there is an element of stupidity from certain fans doesnt mean you can tar the whole club with "racism",im sure you know the upteen incidents in spanish,italian leagues of racist occurances from differing fans towards players etc

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    A club is definitely racist to the core when they can't even sign a black player. You can seriously get the boat if you're trying to claim its just a few bad men.

I don't think it's quiet that simple, i am one who without reading into it too much just through what i hear that Zenit have never signed a black player, Zenit are racist etc. After it was brought up yesterday i have tried to read into it and see what exactly the story is and well there are a lot of stories. I would believe that a certain ammount of the supporters are very racist, whether these are the hardline ultra supporters or just your normal every day supporter i would guess it would be the more hardline supporters but i don't know.

In the interview below Advocaat says when he was manager he had to ask the supporters if it was ok to sign any player, they have regular meetings and the first thing the supporters ask is if the player is black? This then you would have to say, from reading that interview and others like it that its not actually a "Racist Club", yes some of the supporters are but you couldn't really say the whole club is racist.

On the other hand you would look at the interview and many other interviews where blaco players playing against Zenit have been racially abused and the club have done nothing about it. I would then say that yes the club is racist, it can't be hard for the club to stamp it out, Racist chants and abuse in Italy lead to big fines and stadium closures, why is it not the same in Russia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2299242/Zenit-fans-are-racist-admits-Dick-Advocaat.html
    But Dick Advocaat has revealed in a Russian interview that he was unable to recruit Brazilian players because the first question Zenit fans asked when a signing was imminent was: "Is he black?"
    The former Holland boss added that he would have to ask his fan's permission before buying a black player - and that they were unlikely to give it.

"I would be happy to sign anyone, but the fans don't like black players," he revealed. "Quite honestly, I do not understand how they could pay so much attention to skin colour.

"Frankly, the only players who can make Zenit stronger are dark skinned. But for us it would be impossible."

Zenit, whose No 1 fan is President elect Dmitry Medvedev, who takes office in the Kremlin on Wednesday, are the only club in Russia not to have had a black player.

When Advocaat, a former Rangers manager, tried to sign Frenchman Mathieu Valbuena recently, the first question on fans websites was: "Is he a negro?"

The manager said: "The fans are the most important thing that Zenit have. That's why I have to ask them outright how they'll react if we sign a dark skinned player for Zenit.

"At least two times a year we meet with the fans. I hope we'll have an opportunity to talk to them about this racist issue soon.
    Zenit supporters have been accused of racism several times in recent months.

In March some of Olympique Marseille's black players complained that Zenit fans made monkey noises and hurled banana skins at them during their Uefa Cup tie.

In November, Cameroon midfielder Serge Branco, who played in the Russian League for Krylia Sovetov Samara last year, said: "Each time I play in St Petersburg I have to listen to racist insults from the stands.

"Zenit bosses do not do anything about it which makes me think they are racists too."

Oh and btw is it coincidence that all these claims of racism from these british newspapers against zenit were from articles from over two years ago,before zenit played rangers(a british team) in the uefa cup final match..hmmmm

There are examples way before that.

• Advertisement

Nah, the fans. The treatment of black players over the years at Zenit's ground is sickening, it's been happening for years. It's not the clubs fault however.

of the entire club being racist?
    btw this whole thing is dragging this thread off topic as well

Ye sorry i wasn't trying to drag it off topic i just tought that maybe a supporter of team or someone who knows more about the club could let us know what the story is? I'm not trying to say the club is racist but we can only judge the club by what we hear and read. You obviously follow the club, you'd have a better idea of what the club is like than we do.

I'm not saying it doesn't but some Zenit fans have made it impossible for the club to sign black players.(only club in Russia that have never signed one)

Zenit vs Terek Grozny away,how do ye think it will turn out?

Finished 0-0, not a bad result. Should still win the league from their position.

Spartak Moscow (2-0 up) look like getting a fantastic result away to Spartak Nalchik who are unbeaten at home this season. McGeady just set up their second goal with 10mins to go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

according to english gutter press you mean

Were those quotes from Dick Advocaat made up by the paper though?

McGeady's first goal for Spartak Moscow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I'm lucky enough to be in St. Petersburgh later this week, how easy is it to get tickets for their games?

• Advertisement
Advertisement