Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Kildare is clearly in the midlands. Half the east coast may be living in Kildare but the county itself is midlands? Can anyone explain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Kildare is clearly in the midlands. Half the east coast may be living in Kildare but the county itself is midlands?

Can you add a link or geographical evidence to back this statement? AFAIK the midlands isn't a defined geographical area but I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No, Kildare is not in the Midlands. Kildare is in the East Region of Ireland - and the Greater Dublin Area. Kildare is functionally a commuter/satellite county of Dublin which is an East coast city. Its sister county, Meath, is also in the East.*

*some, including boards.ie class Meath as North East which is incorrect.

Laois, Offaly, Westmeath and Longford are the Midlands. But Kildare? Sorry, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have a vague recollection that when the Regional forums were created, they were divided in such a way to match the old Health Board regions - as Kildare fell under what was the Eastern Health Board, it now resides in "East".

Anyway, I would always have considered Kildare as being East and not part of the Midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

1/2 an hour from the city centre is not midlands!

Advertisement