Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

organ donation?

• 03-08-2009 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

hi all
    having a drunken argument about organ donation, i was told by a regular after hours poster that this was an appropriate topic for this forum, he would donate all his organs except his eyes, is this hypocritical?? what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Is what hypocritical? He's willing to donate all his other organs but not his eyes? What's wrong with that? :/
    I'd give a beggar on the street a quid or two, but I wouldn't give away every last penny.. is that hypocritical? :/

In answer to the question.. I wouldn't donate anything while I'm alive (selfish); but as far as I'm concerned; my body's fair use once I've popped my clogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I originally said no I wouldnt donate my eyes but after watchin the film Seven Pounds I kinda half changed my opinion. Its a touchy subject with a lot of people. But I'm kinda on the fence!
    By the way I'm drunk too!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Karen09 wrote: »
    hi all
    having a drunken argument about organ donation, i was told by a regular after hours poster that this was an appropriate topic for this forum, he would donate all his organs except his eyes, is this hypocritical?? what do you think?
    Yeah tis'. Finish your drink now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I've often said the same.

I mean, obviously if they were to use parts of my eyes when I'm dead I won't be in a position to care, really...but while I'm living I'd prefer to know that no-one would mess with my eyes. Not sure what it is...I just can't bear the thought of putting anything IN let alone removing my eyes.

Maybe it seems a bit pointless, but I don't think it's hypocritical. The person consenting has to be comfortable with it and if they want to know that a certain body part will be left alone, that's up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Tell him he doesn't need his eyes to get blind drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

hi all

no i dont think so specialy if he is blind, but if there all in good workin order well lend a helping hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think eyes and skin have an extra 'ick' factor for most people.

(and no, skin harvesting is not just for radioactive mutants)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Karen09

brummytom wrote: »
    :/my body's fair use once I've popped my clogs.
    does this mean that you would give your eyes????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

does this mean that you would give your eyes????

Eyes, toenails, foreskin....

Whatever to be honest.. I might well change my mind as I get older, but at the moment I don't see the point on fretting over what will just be an empty vessel

ok... my mate say's.. <also fairly drunk>. .. that he believes that his eyes are part of his soul???,,,, is it the drink speaking!!??? or do you agree??

• Advertisement

well if you listen to some of the stories of people who have recieved transplants all types they have had memory flashes from the people who donated them, this is true in the sense it has been reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Is your friend an ancient Celt?

banquo wrote: »
    Is your friend an ancient Celt?
    yes , yes he is... his name is..... cuchaillan

yes , yes he is... his name is..... cuchaillan

theres the problem so hes lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

hi all

Except his eyes?

/oh right, the eyes have it.

fintonie wrote: »
    well if you listen to some of the stories of people who have recieved transplants all types they have had memory flashes from the people who donated them, this is true in the sense it has been reported.
    well gang bang flashbacks are always welcome...........:eek:

Doesn't really matter if we agree or not, does it? If that's his reason for not wanting to donate his eyes, then that's absolutely fine. It doesn't even matter if it is hypocritical, they're his eyes and if he has a choice in whether or not they're used then he's entitled to decide either way.

well gang bang flashbacks are always welcome...........:eek:

true true specially in the solitude moment when that one last image is required

Doesn't really matter if we agree or not, does it? If that's his reason for not wanting to donate his eyes, then that's absolutely fine. It doesn't even matter if it is hypocritical, they're his eyes and if he has a choice in whether or not they're used then he's entitled to decide either way.
    but why give everything else except the eyes? quote arnie schwarzenegger terminator2 "what is wrong wit your eyezz?!!":D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

but why give everything else except the eyes? quote arnie schwarzenegger terminator2 "what is wrong wit your eyezz?!!":D:cool:
    It is your friend who doesn't want to donate his eyes - ask him.

• Advertisement

Well for me, I don't mind the thought of having my other organs removed. But I do very much mind the thought of having my eyes removed.

I think if that's what it takes for someone to feel comfortable donating everything else, then who's anyone else to complain?

I'm sure there are lots of people who don't like the idea of having their heart donated. And likewise, I'd say if keeping their heart meant they were comfortable enough to consent to donating the rest, then that's fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

I have no problem with organ donation. Sur whats the point in letting your organs rot into the ground when they could save some persons life? Thats my 2c away. oh and about the whole eyes thing, some people donate their bodies to science only to be taken apart by med students. Saw on Stephen Fry in america where some of them go to towards training pathologists etc. So they place you in a field and let the wildlife insects etc have at you for a bit:eek: Showed one covered in ants. erm, NO:(

Well for me, I don't mind the thought of having my other organs removed. But I do very much mind the thought of having my eyes removed.

I think if that's what it takes for someone to feel comfortable donating everything else, then who's anyone else to complain?

I'm sure there are lots of people who don't like the idea of having their heart donated. And likewise, I'd say if keeping their heart meant they were comfortable enough to consent to donating the rest, then that's fine with me.
    but your dead?? why do you care??:cool:

i think the eyes thing goes back a long way, the penny over the eyes, the eyes been one of the first things eaten if you kick the bucket and are not found for a few days, we associate sight with memories therefore in taking our eyes do we lose our memories

fintonie wrote: »
    i think the eyes thing goes back a long way, the penny over the eyes, the eyes been one of the first things eaten if you kick the bucket and are not found for a few days, we associate sight with memories therefore in taking our eyes do we lose our memories
    but they only ate the eyes because they're the handiest to remove!!:cool:

but your dead?? why do you care??:cool:

I'm not dead. I'm alive. And I'm sure I won't care when I'm dead. But right now, the condition of me consenting to donating my organs is that I keep my eyes. I don't think that's particularly unreasonable.

It's a very personal decision, it's different for everyone.

but they only ate the eyes because they're the handiest to remove!!:cool:

:D nope they r the juiciest a nice big pop nd all those flavors rushing to the taste buds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

There'd be no point in me donating my eyes,they're useless.The rest of my organs? Well,if they serve any purpose,have at 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

They can have all of me... The way I figure is

Die. buried in a hole, decay, eaten by worms! Worms get my eyes!

Die. Burnt to a crisp! Eyes not a problem no one benefits!

Die, Donate body to science, Discover that men do actully grown longer that 12 inches! 8th wonder of the world. Be famous cause someone has my Eyes,heart,lungs,kidneys,pancreas, My manhood dies with me! You need a licence to operate such a heavy pce of machinery!

• Advertisement
Advertisement