Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build your own Computer?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im 16 & just got an idea to build my own computer. It will be an on going thing, as I'm doing the JC this year. So just wanted to know how hard or easy it is? Anyone done it before?

Is there any tutorials online? Personal advice? Where you bought your parts ect.

And heres the big Q: Can I install Mac on it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

padocon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im 16 & just got an idea to build my own computer. It will be an on going thing, as I'm doing the JC this year. So just wanted to know how hard or easy it is? Anyone done it before?

Plenty on this site regularly build/upgrade when their wallet permits! :D

Its easy if you do the research. There are plenty of online guides, start by googling "how to build a pc" and read a few, then I would advise starting of with basic upgrades/ dis assembling old pcs. Get a good working knowledge of what the different parts of a PC look like and practice removing and reseating parts. Messing about with broken pcs will help a lot.

Take you time, there is no rush. I would save up and buy all the parts together: the longer you wait the cheaper stuff gets. Prices will always reduce over time for pc hardware. Waiting a 6 months to get some money together will usually save a bit of money or you get better spec for your original budget.
    Is there any tutorials online? Personal advice? Where you bought your parts ect.

Plenty, start using google, read up on tech sites, read reviews for cases, power supplies, gfx cards, processors, ram, everything you can.

Have a look at (to start with, there are loads out there)

Hardocp.com
    extremetech.com
    anandtech.com
    tomshardware.com
    bit-tech.net

Take anything written on a tech website with a pinch of salt, there are loads of sites out there, have a look on the inquirer.net, they usually batches of reviews from different sites once or twice a week, helps to get to see new tech websites.

And heres the big Q: Can I install Mac on it?

Depends.... If you want to boot into it like windows on start up natively, you can but there is jiggery pokery envolved. Google hackintosh to get an idea.

(this is against the terms of use for the mac os though, mac os is really only meant to run natively on mac hardware)

You can use some like vmware to run the mac os using vitualisation e.g. run/emmulate mac in a window within the windows OS.
    (all above assumes you are suing a legal copy of the Mac OS.....)

Look up visualisation and vmware to get a good picture as to what it does.VMware can be downloaded for free from there website if you register.

You can download full versions of linux to play with.

TBH if you want to play with a mac, play with a mates or buy your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

uberpixie wrote: »
    Plenty on this site regularly build/upgrade when their wallet permits! :D

Its easy if you do the research. There are plenty of online guides, start by googling "how to build a pc" and read a few, then I would advise starting of with basic upgrades/ dis assembling old pcs. Get a good working knowledge of what the different parts of a PC look like and practice removing and reseating parts. Messing about with broken pcs will help a lot.

Take you time, there is no rush. I would save up and buy all the parts together: the longer you wait the cheaper stuff gets. Prices will always reduce over time for pc hardware. Waiting a 6 months to get some money together will usually save a bit of money or you get better spec for your original budget.

Plenty, start using google, read up on tech sites, read reviews for cases, power supplies, gfx cards, processors, ram, everything you can.

Have a look at (to start with, there are loads out there)

Hardocp.com
    extremetech.com
    anandtech.com
    tomshardware.com
    bit-tech.net

Take anything written on a tech website with a pinch of salt, there are loads of sites out there, have a look on the inquirer.net, they usually batches of reviews from different sites once or twice a week, helps to get to see new tech websites.

Depends.... If you want to boot into it like windows on start up natively, you can but there is jiggery pokery envolved. Google hackintosh to get an idea.

(this is against the terms of use for the mac os though, mac os is really only meant to run natively on mac hardware)

You can use some like vmware to run the mac os using vitualisation e.g. run/emmulate mac in a window within the windows OS.
    (all above assumes you are suing a legal copy of the Mac OS.....)

Look up visualisation and vmware to get a good picture as to what it does.VMware can be downloaded for free from there website if you register.

You can download full versions of linux to play with.

TBH if you want to play with a mac, play with a mates or buy your own.

Thanks I have a Mac & would prefer to continue with a Mac operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Then you'll be best buying a mac, there is no point in building a hackintosh desktop. You can buy netbooks that run OSX flawlessly.(Dell mini for one). Plus if you want to install OSX on a home build then it will be an illegal copy which(depending on how handy you are) may or may not be 100% operational.

It's doable but you'll need to look up specific parts lists(since some hardware wont work on OSX). Building for a hackintosh can restrict your choice in components.

You can just boot into windows and run OSX through a VM though, that would solve a lot of problems with compatability but take away some of the performance.

Advertisement