Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea alert

Options
  • 03-08-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks was in Ikea yesterday have to say it was brilliant(Personally speaking) however a couple of small thing i noticed and if anyone else does perhaps they can add to this and we will be all up to date

1. Bathroom wear!

All there bathroom taps are high pressure. I am assuming there toilets are as well. This is not good for the Irish system as we are on gravity fed systems. Unless of course you have changed your to a pressurrised system. In the case of the toilet a new low pressure valve will set you back around 50 euro in homebase. In the case of the taps if you have not got a pressurised system the tap may not work!

2. Beds.
    All the beds apeared to be shorter than ours. This i need to confirm as I have not a propper tape but if this the case you will need to buy there mattress as well. While this is not a problem for most. It could be for parents with Kids beds. It also means Duvets will be longer. Fitted sheets wont fit etc.

3. Screws!

Yes I kids you not your not going to get screwed or screws. You dont get the 2 assembly screws with the pictures mirrors etc so you will have to buy these in homebase or atlantic etc.

Aside from that. The furnature is retro some is lovely. The systemdO of collection is manageable.

PS: Dont travel in the 09 D as people loading there cars with cheap furnature dont seem to have mich respect for paintwork on others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Be really careful with IKEA. The plumbing for kitchen sinks and bathrooms is European and so you will need adaptors.

The beds are not the standard sizes, so if you want sheets to fit, you can only buy the IKEA ones. Just something to watch out for alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Interesting, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Saruman wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

Just to stress I have no problems with Ikea actually loved the food in the cafe. Its just european and Irish systems are different and worth noting here. Granted Ikea take things back but dont facy traking back up with stuff

http://www.saabhistory.com/2007/01/30/saab-ikea/

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Be really careful with IKEA. The plumbing for kitchen sinks and bathrooms is European and so you will need adaptors.

The beds are not the standard sizes, so if you want sheets to fit, you can only buy the IKEA ones. Just something to watch out for alright!

No adaptors needed for modern systems. I have two sinks from Ikea and they were fitted as normal.

Beds - again I have an older king size bed which has had an Ikea mattress for over two years. Takes very little to juggle back when I turn the mattress. Also regular king sized fitted sheets fit the mattress perfectly. No need to panic. :D

Just to add their mattresses are brilliant - so comfortable you won't regret buying one

RoisinD wrote: »
    No adaptors needed for modern systems. I have two sinks from Ikea and they were fitted as normal.

Beds - again I have an older king size bed which has had an Ikea mattress for over two years. Takes very little to juggle back when I turn the mattress. Also regular king sized fitted sheets fit the mattress perfectly. No need to panic. :D

Just to add their mattresses are brilliant - so comfortable you won't regret buying one

Cool on Beds! what do you mean by Juggleing!

as for sinks do you have the taps as well, do you notice your hot water is very slow... Be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mamablue

Bought my whole kitchen in ikea, including the tap and have no problems.
    my matresses are ikea also and sheets have never been a problem.
    Some of the childrens beds are extendable and come with matresses that extend also, not sure how they work with irish childrens matresses.
    I also recomend the foam matresses, so much better than spring matresses, just make sure you choose the right one for you.

mamablue wrote: »
    Bought my whole kitchen in ikea, including the tap and have no problems.
    my matresses are ikea also and sheets have never been a problem.
    Some of the childrens beds are extendable and come with matresses that extend also, not sure how they work with irish childrens matresses.
    I also recomend the foam matresses, so much better than spring matresses, just make sure you choose the right one for you.

Yes I spotted the jargon on the pillows and mattresses although with respect your not the norm on the taps working. A high pressure tap working on an Irish gravity fed system is not the norm. A plumber will confirm this.

On the beds that sounds great. Hopefully we will get more opinion in time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just to stress I have no problems with Ikea actually loved the food in the cafe

Self assembly sandwiches??? who'd of thought

Interesting about the sizes differing, in fairness to Ikea most people tend not to measure what size they need anyway and just buy what looks right, I remember my youngest bro worked in Harry Corry one summer he used to get really pi$$ed off with people coming in looking for curtains he'd asked what size window it was for and be told it's a front room window or it's just an average window.

Do Ikea offer an assembly service, there's a lot of potential for someone to make a hell of a lot of money for doing very little work.

Gillo wrote: »
    Self assembly sandwiches??? who'd of thought

Interesting about the sizes differing, in fairness to Ikea most people tend not to measure what size they need anyway and just buy what looks right, I remember my youngest bro worked in Harry Corry one summer he used to get really pi$$ed off with people coming in looking for curtains he'd asked what size window it was for and be told it's a front room window or it's just an average window.

Do Ikea offer an assembly service, there's a lot of potential for someone to make a hell of a lot of money for doing very little work.

yes they do. I found a lad on gumtree though doing there assembly I suspect the adverts will pop up everywhere. Its easy money if your patient and have the time. However it does require 2 people sometimes. I am helping with the wardrobe assembly for the one I bought that way i only have to pay for one.. Wait for it.... Left, up, right, down, a little bit, across!... Not that across :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nah I just find it funny, I've never had trouble with anything flatpack I purchased, yes I've something had to get someone to hold something for me but generally they are pretty easy, read the instructions, get an electric screw-driver and a hammer. Sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement