Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to stop the rott

Options
  • 03-08-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

After spending 2 years on the side lines due to injuries I am getting back into the rugby game.

Problem being I have pied out from my 15.5 stone too id say over 18 stone.

I am going to try to lose the weight doing some training and the sorts but would like your help.

I have ordered a set of scales that will give my BMI etc so I can post weekly updates as to how i am going

I am 6"3' and 25 years old I play lock but also prop. would rather play back row (like every lock!)

Anyway, any tips on what to do (apart from putting the fork down )

was wondering about supplaments etc and also any training tips on shoulders (my injuriy ac and dislocation)

I will be doing a weekly report or maybe more just to keep myself on track and hopefulyy drive me to do it.

Thanks

Yours in Rugby

1Love

Jonny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Based on the stats you gave your BMI is 31.5 which places you in the obese category.

I worked it out here http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

While there are many flaws with the BMI it, for some people, is an indicator of how healthy your weight is. If you are 18 stone of muscle for example, the bmi would not act as a good indicator as you would be in general good physical shape. However, if you are not 18stone of muscle it gives you an idea of what you need to do.

Those scales can be innacurate also. A better idea would be a tape measure. That way you can measure your progress and see for example if you are losing the inces form your waist for example.

Ill leave the routine for someone else. Taking supplements really depends on your routine and remember that supplements are just that - a supplement to your diet.

What would your diet look like? and your current routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Ok my diet is the same every day really.

No breakfast

12pm lunch of chicken (from saindburys hot food bar) and maybe a rap or sandwich with a drink, normaly Oasis or 7up free (low caleries)

Dinner depends on whats cooked usualy always meat with spuds or chips/rice and some veg garden peas etc. Then prob some toast or what ever is about for supper round 8pm.

I dont tend to snack during the day as there is no shop in work but some time I may get either a bag of crisps or choc bar randomly.

My excerise is just starting of 1 1/2 hours of rugby raining 2 nights a week tuesday & thursday curently a sh*t load of running! and 5 a side indoor football on sunday. That is it. I try and do some weights just ever 3 sets of curls twice a week but slowed down with injury.

My BMI woud probably the Fat Baxtard range alrite but I like your tape idea I think I will have to do a big measure and maybe some pics for a starting point.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Eating twice a day is just ridiculous!! I'd say go have a look at the nutrition stickies then, come back to us with a new diet plan to be critiqued...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Eating twice a day causes your metabolism to slow right down and as a result your body is just storing the food as fat.

You really need to eat regularly (8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm) in order to speed up your metabolism again.

Oh ok, I will try from tomorrow on wards and see what happens Never knew that. I take it its not full meals just snacks fruit yogurts etc.

I will try to write out everything on a daily basis

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Oh ok, I will try from tomorrow on wards and see what happens Never knew that. I take it its not full meals just snacks fruit yogurts etc.

I will try to write out everything on a daily basis

Cheers

Your diet is shoite OP!
    If you were only eating twice a day, in the hopes of losing weight healthy and sustainably ... well you would fail.

1st eat brekkie - kickstarts the metabolism for the day. get up earlier if you have to. Porridge/weetabix/shredded wheat or fruit or yogurt or nuts or eggs scrambled or an omlette: whatever picks your fancy.

For lunch/ dinner: plenty of veg/lean meats like chicken, steak, turkey etc/fish/wholegrains like wholegrain rice,quinoa.

Snacks: unsalted nuts and nut butters, ryvita, cottage chesse, fruits, yogurt, milk, dreid fruits.

Eat often like maybe brekkie - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack.

Like already said read all the fitness stickies and read the nutrition and diet forum stickies as well to help you fill the gaps.

Reading as we speak :)

Think I am going to be sick of food by the end of this :P

Cheers for the tips!

Ok so some vital stats.

These are all from my new weight scales. (Bearing in mind I have been sick last 2 days and not been eating but did train last night.

Height 6"03'
    Weight St: 17:10.6
    Body Fat %: 29.3
    Visceral Fat %:13
    BMI: 31.2
    BMR cal: 2399
    Muscle Mass% 38.2
    Body Water %: 51.8

Comments welcome

1Love

Advertisement