Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Prices in Galway

Options
  • 03-08-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the Local Rip Offs thread, I thought that I would start a thread on Drink Prices in Galway to see if there were any places offering good value or ripping us off.

I'd say using Guinness would give us an accurate picture (plus its the only thing I drink :)) but feel free to add whatever drink that is relevant to you.

I'll start with the few pubs that i have been in over the past 2 weeks:

Freeneys - Guinness €4.00
    Arus na Gael - Guinness €3.70 (Thanks JustMary)
    Dew Drop - Guinness €4.10 (up to 2 weeks anyways)
    Murty Rabbittes - Guinness €4.00

Also, any good deals can be added - Fosters is generally €3 everywhere while Tenants is also €3 in the Hole in the Wall. That said wouldnt be a fan of either!

List of Guinness Prices:

Freeneys - €4.00
    Arus na Gael - €3.70
    Dew Drop - €4.10
    Murty Rabbittes - €4.00
    Garavans - €3.80
    An Pucan - €3.70
    Tig Ceoli - €4.10
    The Skeff - €4.10
    O'Connells - €3.70

Deals to date:

Blue Note - Bavaria €3.00
    The Cellar - Pitcher of Fosters €8.00 (€5.00 on a Tuesday)

More:
    Bunch of Grapes - €4.00
    Garveys - €3.90
    Kellys - €3.90
    Richardsons - €3.90
    The Crane - €4.00
    The Quays - €4.25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I usually stick to Fosters or Carling. Crazy paying €4.50 or €4.60 for a Budweiser or Heineken when you can get Fosters or Carling for €3; you get to like it after a while. A good few places don't sell either though - the sly bastards!

I think drink prices in pubs could start coming down soon though. Wasn't there some recent ruling in the High Court about the 'price freeze' that the publicans had?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Garavans - paid 3.80 for a pint of Guinness last Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

KevR wrote: »
    I usually stick to Fosters or Carling. Crazy paying €4.50 or €4.60 for a Budweiser or Heineken when you can get Fosters or Carling for €3; you get to like it after a while. A good few places don't sell either though - the sly bastards!

I think drink prices in pubs could start coming down soon though. Wasn't there some recent ruling in the High Court about the 'price freeze' that the publicans had?

Where do you Carling for €3? In fact, where do you get carling in tap in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

tuesday in cellar fiver for pitcher of fosters. about 3.5 pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Still cheaper to get a carry out though, and let's face it you'd have better craic drinkin at home with mates than out in Galway on a Tuesday. Only time I'm ever out then is when the football is on and like I said you'd still save if you just drank cans in the house before going out.

• Advertisement

so instead of going out with your mates for a pint and chatting up some of the local talent and having a laugh with random strangers you would rather sit in your living room like you have done for the previous few days and have a subdued chat with your friends over some aldi beer?

Its works out to be E1.40 a pint, get your arse out of the house boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

Clayton Hotel €5 for pint Heineken/Budweiser :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Guinness:

An Pucan 3.70
    Tigh Coilis 4.10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah I was out a couple of nights there thursday and friday nights and Taaffes, Buskers, An Tobar and Kelly's all had outside bars, fiver for a pint out of a plastic glass. Muck. I'm sure that was to pay for the outside bar licences and doesn't reflect on the price of a pint in that pub in general. Pint of Guinness was 4.20 in The Skeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Obleroza

how much is a pitcher every other night of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Obleroza wrote: »
    how much is a pitcher every other night of the week?

I think it's €8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

so instead of going out with your mates for a pint and chatting up some of the local talent and having a laugh with random strangers you would rather sit in your living room like you have done for the previous few days and have a subdued chat with your friends over some aldi beer?

You must have some pretty ****e friends if that's your image of "a few cans at home".

well i might be old fashioned but i try to leave the sodomy to the priests but its a new world, you go ahead and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Bavaria is €3 in The Blue Note. It's at least as drinkable as Carlsberg and Heineken (and after about eight pints it all tastes the same :).

+1

I have never understood the appeal of drinking at home. You are just sitting in the same room as every other night watching TV but with a can instead of a cup of tea. Its alright to have a can or two before heading to the pub and of course house party's after the late/bar club but for a night out the pub is the place to be and of course you cannot get a proper pint of Guinness at a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

yep - drinking at home definately rates lower than having a nice few pints with freinds in a (quiet) pub. it's good for what it is - cheap!

pint of guiness in o'connells is 3.70 and it's excellent stuff there

lovely beer garden in oconnells and not a vodka and red bull in sight. top marks for a pub with an outhouse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Agreed! O Connell's is the nicest pub in town! Didn't realise Guinness was only 3.70 there! That is very reasonable. Didn't notice despite all the pints of Guinness I'v drank there over the past year at the detriment of my degree result!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Obleroza

€3.60 for a bavaria in the roisin dubh!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Got a shock in Kelly's on Thursday - 4.70 for a pint of Heineken - 4.70!! The whole sh*te 50's Ireland theme doesn't apply to the prices obviously.

Not impressed with that place at all - never going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I discovered a great money saving scheme recently.

Bring your carry out into the pub! You get that atmosphere you can only get in a pub but with the cheap drink included! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

In the Dail during the week..
    3 pints Lager
    3 jagermister
    3 vodkas and 3 bottles 7up

52.50euro thank you..

Trying to guess the pricing..

Lagers 5
    Jager 4
    Vodka 5
    7up 3.50

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask..
    Blacklisted.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Didn't think to ask if it's every Monday (or any other beers) but Carlsberg and Budweiser pints were €3 each in Fox's Porterhouse last Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

steve 0 wrote: »
    Didn't think to ask if it's every Monday (or any other beers) but Carlsberg and Budweiser pints were €3 each in Fox's Porterhouse last Monday.

Sound likes a good deal - haven't been out for pints on a Monday for a good bit!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pints of bavaria are €3 in Bar903 and The Cellar every day.

No idea how much the Guinness is in either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Kevin11 wrote: »
    In the Dail during the week..
    3 pints Lager
    3 jagermister
    3 vodkas and 3 bottles 7up

52.50euro thank you..

Trying to guess the pricing..

Lagers 5
    Jager 4
    Vodka 5
    7up 3.50

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask..
    Blacklisted.. :mad:

That's a scandal. And to make matters worse, their food is crap as well. Avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I love Bavaria

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I dont like the new Foxs bar, I remember back in the early 90s Foxs bar was an auld fellahs pub, and the pints of Guinness was supreme, now its just a raz and daz pub. Sorry for going off topic, I was having pints with a few friends in the Garavogue in Sligo on Friday night. My mate paid 5.50 euro for a pint of that Bulmers pear cider, Guinness was 4.50.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I remember the Advertiser did a very good article where they printed the prices of drinks for most of the pubs in Galway.

It would be a brilliant idea if they were to do the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

4 Euro a pint in the Bunch of Grapes, Garveys 3.90, An Pucan 3.70....all perfectly good pints!

Brgds
    Johnny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement