Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

****New football news site launched today!****

• 03-08-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Greeting football fans,

As a shameless abuse of mod power I would like to take this opportunity to pimp a new project being undertaken by myself and Eire Dearg.

Back Page Football is aiming to be a regularly updated site for news and views on all aspects of the game, both serious and fun. We already have a number of contributors on board, as well as a first class web designer, so the content and quality will hopefully meet the daily needs of the average football fan.

We are also actively seeking contributors so whether you're a young college goer with asperations of working in the media or a middle aged Dunphy-esque armchair supporter we'd be interested in what you have to say. Obviously it's only in its infancy but hopefully with some additional hands on deck it can grow and prosper.

The site has been officially launched today so feel free to have a look and drop us some feedback. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

http://backpagefootball.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Sounds good Xavi, good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Best of luck with it.

Some script or something seems to be consuming quite a few processor cycles when viewed in IE8 by the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Best of luck guys, hope it takes off for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Well done on putting this together and I'd wish ye all the best with it. I'm not in love with the design aspect in terms of it not being the full width of the page but other than that it looks good.
    I like that you're giving the oppurtunity for boards members to contribute and it's something I'd definately have an interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Best of luck with it lads!

Just a few things, that background pic is a bit harsh on the eyes.

especially when scrolling.

The font of the cover stories could do with at being changed too

doesn't really suit the page.

I'll let it all slide for decent content tho ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Nice looking site lads, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Nice site. Well done lads. I'd be interested if contributing, if you need me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

No Espanyol in the who will win La Liga poll?? Jaysus lads, they just trounced the next champions of England last night... =P

Seriously though, great site, hope it takes off, looks good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Is it just going to focus on the Premier League? IMO, the Championship and League 1 could be even more competitive this season than Prem.

(Leeds Fan!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Xavi6 wrote: »
    or a middle aged Dunphy-esque armchair supporter we'd be interested in what you have to say.

Hey I resemble that remark!

On the site, links in light grey on white are not clever (too white anyway). Too much scrolling required (peeps are lazy fuppers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Best of luck with it.

Some script or something seems to be consuming quite a few processor cycles when viewed in IE8 by the way...

Use Firefox :P

Yeah good luck with it, I'll be having a view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Looks good best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Use Firefox :P

Yeah good luck with it, I'll be having a view of it.

Firstly, I use Opera when on my own machine.

Secondly, working for one of them big corporations generally means you use IE8 when using one of their machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hey guys, like Xavi6 said we're deligted to invite any more contributors on board, if your an armchair supporter or a media student who'd like to practice their writing. Just give either of us a shout.

And if you see anything to report, please do. Obviously there's a few kinks that will appear now and then.

RE: The background images: I've seen an influx in the amount of background images used in websites, it seems to be "in". We have 15 interchanging ones to keep it looking fresh. You can check them out by right clicking on the page and hitting "view background image".

@ Wexican - Hopefully we'll be keeping tabs on the lower leagues, as well as the Premier League.

At the moment we'd love fans from La Liga, Serie A etc. who have a bit of knowledge of the league to come and report on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Hey guys, like Xavi6 said we're deligted to invite any more contributors on board, if your an armchair supporter or a media student who'd like to practice their writing. Just give either of us a shout.

And if you see anything to report, please do. Obviously there's a few kinks that will appear now and then.

RE: The background images: I've seen an influx in the amount of background images used in websites, it seems to be "in". We have 15 interchanging ones to keep it looking fresh. You can check them out by right clicking on the page and hitting "view background image".

@ Wexican - Hopefully we'll be keeping tabs on the lower leagues, as well as the Premier League.

At the moment we'd love fans from La Liga, Serie A etc. who have a bit of knowledge of the league to come and report on it.

dang completley forgot about this ill try and get back on doing more articles soon and ill probably have to spell check the one i did do. The site is looking good tho man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks good.

Some general feedback

- font is a little small on large screen
    - links are a little faint
    - no canonical url redirection (redirtect non www. to www.)
    # .htaccess

Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine on

# CANONICAL URL
    rewritecond %{http_host} ^backpagefootball.com [nc]
    rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.backpagefootball.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

Would be interested to see how you're going to build interaction and community, have you considered bbpress or forums? and perhaps improving the commenting system (disqus maybe?)

zAbbo wrote: »
    Would be interested to see how you're going to build interaction and community, have you considered bbpress or forums? and perhaps improving the commenting system (disqus maybe?)

We've discussed adding a forum, but realise it will be very difficult to attract people who are already on other forums to stay actuve, and fear it may get less attention than the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Any LOI content?

oldyouth wrote: »
    Any LOI content?

Yep, hopefully. We know we've to keep all you LOI'ers happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yep, hopefully. We know we've to keep all you LOI'ers happy!
    I'll pass on the word to the other 3 :D

• Advertisement

We love ****ty comments from nameless viewers, shame they get eaten up before they're published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tom65 wrote: »
    Nice site. Well done lads. I'd be interested if contributing, if you need me :P

Feel free to drop me a PM with any ideas you have
    wexican wrote: »
    Is it just going to focus on the Premier League? IMO, the Championship and League 1 could be even more competitive this season than Prem.

(Leeds Fan!)

We'll be definitely concentrating on the lower leagues. Might not be as frequent at first but if the interest/contributors are there then there's no reason not to.
    oldyouth wrote: »
    Any LOI content?

Without. I'll be sorting that in the next few days hopefully, though obviously someone actually living in Ireland might help!

Cheers for all the comments so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

everything is nice except the background pics.

they look particularly awful on a 1080p as they fill about 50% of the screen, and make it hard to read as they are quite blurry and frequently the colours of them overpower the text. not too mention they take ages to load compared with the rest of the content.

I'd recommend using a darker shade of grey on some of the fonts aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Congratulations. Football needs more sites like this

the other thing is, i don't really see a proper navigation system to browse for articles, other than the tag cloud. I'd try and make it a bit more obvious as to how one can filter straight through to a particular category.

the other thing is, i don't really see a proper navigation system to browse for articles, other than the tag cloud. I'd try and make it a bit more obvious as to how one can filter straight through to a particular category.

We have an archive system in place, the link is at the bottom of the page

http://backpagefootball.com/archives/

And the cloud isn't for tags, it displays every category we have set up on it.

We have an archive system in place, the link is at the bottom of the page

http://backpagefootball.com/archives/

ah right, that should really be at the top of the page. way too easy to overlook the links at the bottom.
    And the cloud isn't for tags, it displays every category we have set up on it.

no matter how you use it, them called tag clouds. category cloud is just too unwieldy. ;)

i posted that article i wrote a few weeks back but i dont think it went into the Forgotten Heroes section... im sure youll find it though. Ill start on another one now that my mind is on it

i posted that article i wrote a few weeks back but i dont think it went into the Forgotten Heroes section... im sure youll find it though. Ill start on another one now that my mind is on it

Yep, we saw that and are going to wait to post it for now if that's alright!

• Advertisement

Yep, we saw that and are going to wait to post it for now if that's alright!

course it is, just wanted to get it up before it goes outta date, dont think hes joined a new team yet but I wrote it after he was playing in the midland masters which it refers to

We're having a promising first day here on the site...

New Blue Zhirkov Will Shine - my piece on the new signing

The Week In Football - This week in times gone past

Pic Of The Week - Featuring Jack Wilshere

Coping Without The Constant - piece on a summer without football.

Some news items, too, involving Darren Bent - and Kevin Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

That's great to hear. Be great to read an Irish perspective on the "lower leagues".... (still pains me to say that!)

PM me if you want a hand with it!

a summer without football.
    What summer without football?

SectionF wrote: »
    What summer without football?

Read it ;) A summer without Premier Leauge football

Just gone up on the site...

Xavi6's "New Signings XI"

Check it out - http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/players/new-signings-xi/

• Advertisement

Read it ;) A summer without Premier Leauge football
    I did read it. (The weird thing is that it's by a Shams fan). But you said it was a summer without football.

I did read it. (The weird thing is that it's by a Shams fan). But you said it was a summer without football.

Simply a poor choice (or lack) of words in this case.

Yeah. Those words can be a real nuisance sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well done for getting that going lads. It's looking good and seems to have plenty of decent content. FWIW I'm viewing it on a small screen so this background that is bothering everybody isn't really appearing on my screen unless I scroll right to the top or bottom of the page.

Good luck with it all.

If I ever get around to putting my Dunphy-esque journalistic rants into an actual column format I'll give you lads a shout :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah. Those words can be a real nuisance sometimes.

That article is so petty and bitter.

Embarrassing tbh

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    That article is so petty and bitter.

Embarrassing tbh
    I'm sorry. They can't all be Glory Glory Man United.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"He is a qualified journalist, with a penchant for all things Manchester City, including music and various other sports."

I know City are massive but I didn't realise they encompassed all music and sport ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I wrote that during the LOI 2-week break actually. So I was indeed without a constant of League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Site looks good. Seems like you have a lot of the bases covered. I'll give it a look in future. Best of luck, chaps. :cool:

Site looks good. Seems like you have a lot of the bases covered. I'll give it a look in future. Best of luck, chaps. :cool:
    Thanks man!

We've set up a Fantasy League, you're all free to join. Code is 1493-92619.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The site is class lads, fair play and the very best of luck to yiz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fair play to ye lads, site looks class. Hope it's a real success. I'll spread the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I've started a weekly tips feature if anyone fancies a look, trust me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Voltwad wrote: »
    I've started a weekly tips feature if anyone fancies a look, trust me :)

Ive just seen it there, great idea mate ;)

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ive just seen it there, great idea mate ;)

Linkage:

http://backpagefootball.com/features/back-page-tips/issue-1/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement