Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

****New football news site launched today!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ive just seen it there, great idea mate ;)
    If anyone else fancies helping me with this I'd be more than open to rotating the 'tipping' on a weekly basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good luck with the site. Looks nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

We've had another promising day here at BPF HQ, here's what we've been up to...

Fantasy League - Who To Pick #1 - Our in depth look at who to pick, and who to avoid in the Fantasy League ahead of Gameweek 1.

Ten Of The Best 09/10 Kits - Just a quick look at 10 top looking kits for this season.

Lucas - Samba King or Merseyside Misery - A look to Lucas who has come under heaps of criticism at Anfield

And Senderos To Everton, while Ballack is back from injury.

Thanks for all your support guys, it's really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

The site looks great, good luck with it.
    Also the background looks fine on my laptop but it is only 16 inch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

congratulations lads, site looks top notch, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Jesus lads, this site is the best thing since a bag of chips ;).
    Can't stop checking to see if theres any updates to it :pac:.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Jesus lads, this site is the best thing since a bag of chips ;).
    Can't stop checking to see if theres any updates to it :pac:.

Delighted to hear ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Content is top notch anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

For real? That's absolutely great dude.

The most important part is definately offering good content to read, a mixture of opinions, information, and fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Agree totally. I only had a quick browse but the info on it looks good. It's a lot better than some of the other sites out there.

Best of luck with it lads

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    For real? That's absolutely great dude.
    Well in my humble opinion. The articles I had a look at were pretty interesting and very readable. Shall be checking for updates tomorrow.

Would love some LOI content,, as stupid as it sounds, I'm trying to educate myself about our league (started following last season).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Well in my humble opinion. The articles I had a look at were pretty interesting and very readable. Shall be checking for updates tomorrow.

Would love some LOI content,, as stupid as it sounds, I'm trying to educate myself about our league (started following last season).

Cheers dude.

And for sure, in fact we promise to deliver some LOI stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Looks good lads, well done.

From a design point of view I cant fault it. Not prone to sql injection attacks on the login which seems to feed off wordpress. Login also using the POST as opposed to GET which is always good security wise. The css styling is dead on and the comments are nicely structured with good use of the divider tags.

Yeah its absolutely dead on and pretty much meets all you'd expect from a web 2.0 site nowadays.
    Nice one.

A bloody fantastic piece has gone up - I was tempted to make a new thread for it as it's very topical, but have a read of it here first....

Salary Cap Can't Come Soon Enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That front page is a disaster, no not the fearturing Real Madrid, the white on white!

edit - FF displays a semi translucent green under the white type, Opera doesn't.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    That front page is a disaster, no not the fearturing Real Madrid, the white on white!

edit - FF displays a semi translucent green under the white type, Opera doesn't.

White on white, as in the white text over the Kaka picture?

For now, just use FF :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mike65 wrote: »

Not to worry Mike, I'm organising for a daily telegram version to be sent out just for you to save those 'experienced' eyes of yours ;)

There seems to be a bug that the number of comments that show up under a post on the homepage aren't true, particularly on the news items. This will be fixed up ASAP.

And the amount of news items/main articles on the homepage has been disfigured - that will be fixed up soon as well.

The gray links people have commented on have been made a little darker, and instead of gray links on white (particularly in post pages) we now have green ones.

Other than that - all is well it seems - and any comments you've made have been taken into consideration - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Hey lads, I've PMd the two of you... was it something I said?

• Advertisement

Hey lads, I've PMd the two of you... was it something I said?

:confused:
    And no PMs here - yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

:confused:
    And no PMs here - yet.
    Ah, I've obviously made a balls of it.

Ah, I've obviously made a balls of it.
    Ah right - I'll watch out for it when you send it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

All the best with the site dudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

There seems to be a bug that the number of comments that show up under a post on the homepage aren't true, particularly on the news items. This will be fixed up ASAP.

I was just coming on here to ask about that!

I was getting really frustrated when it was saying there were like 11 comments for an article and I could see none of them!

Looking great otherwise though.

abelard wrote: »
    I was just coming on here to ask about that!

I was getting really frustrated when it was saying there were like 11 comments for an article and I could see none of them!

Looking great otherwise though.

Fixed now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And on the site today -

1. Fantastic Bundesliga preview by our very own thusspakeblixa. A great read on an often overlooked league.

2. Kev talks about this week's Community Shield

3. News - Huntelaar to Milan and Bassong to Spurs

4. Alonso becomes a Galactico

5. Where to next for Swansea?

Enjoy!

Today at BPF:

20 Premier League Players To Watch - 5 new boys, 5 youngsters, 5 established players and 5 of the rest!

Going, Going, Gun - What happened to the Arsenal Invincibles? And who's aiming to repeat...

And in the news:

Vidic out injured - and the Champions League draw in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Fair play there Kev, I'll be back writing once I'm home from work tonight. Sorry to anyone who took up my bookies tips =/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Really liking the site so far. It's a refreshing change from reading the same nonsensical transfer rumours day in day out. I might contribute some articles on Ligue 1 during the season if you're interested.

• Advertisement

Really liking the site so far. It's a refreshing change from reading the same nonsensical transfer rumours day in day out. I might contribute some articles on Ligue 1 during the season if you're interested.

Superb dude, you commented today if I'm right? You can drop me a PM if you'd like to get involved with the French football! :)

Today at BPF:

First in our "One 2 Watch" series - Mario Balotelli

A Sleeping Giant - Italian Football

All over at http://backpagefootball.com

And not to forget our Eredivisie Season Review, just gone up

http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/reports/eredivisie-season-preview-200910/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have read the site a few times since it was up now,

I really like it, the layout, the background pictures changing reminds me of the old championship manager games :)

The font used for headlines is excellent, easy on the eye, i don't know why but it works really well.

A great deal of content, and quality content at that for a site that has only been running a while - it's not as if you had a whole load of stuff you had ready for it,

Fair play to all involved, i hope you can keep the updates coming as frequent as they do, good luck with it as it progresses.

Have read the site a few times since it was up now,

I really like it, the layout, the background pictures changing reminds me of the old championship manager games :)

The font used for headlines is excellent, easy on the eye, i don't know why but it works really well.

A great deal of content, and quality content at that for a site that has only been running a while - it's not as if you had a whole load of stuff you had ready for it,

Fair play to all involved, i hope you can keep the updates coming as frequent as they do, good luck with it as it progresses.

Great stuff, thanks a lot mate!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just a question on the photos - is it necessary to have all the irrelevant thumbnails at the bottom of each one? It seems to slow down page scrolling on me.

Just a question on the photos - is it necessary to have all the irrelevant thumbnails at the bottom of each one? It seems to slow down page scrolling on me.

At the moment - yes.

The pictures currently being used on the site are free and more importantly LEGAL. Using pictures from other sources, e.g BBC, Sky Sports, and searching on Google Images can lead us into trouble. We're still looking for better sources, I understand the thumbnails can be a little annoying but as soon as we get the go ahead from a better source - better quality pictures will be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And on the site today -

1. Fantastic Bundesliga preview by our very own thusspakeblixa. A great read on an often overlooked league.

Just read it there. Great piece...

Really enjoying the site. Do keep up the European focus though. It's easy to get news/articles on the premier league so having quality European content (outside of champions league etc.) can be hard to find!

Like the layout. Standard of writing is very good too. Good job to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

At the moment - yes.

The pictures currently being used on the site are free and more importantly LEGAL. Using pictures from other sources, e.g BBC, Sky Sports, and searching on Google Images can lead us into trouble. We're still looking for better sources, I understand the thumbnails can be a little annoying but as soon as we get the go ahead from a better source - better quality pictures will be used.

When you get them sourced, be sure to change the background on the main page - Is that pic from a BASEBALL GAME?!!

• Advertisement

When you get them sourced, be sure to change the background on the main page - Is that pic from a BASEBALL GAME?!!

LOL. All background pictures are sourced legally - all 15 of them. I can assure you none of them are from a baseball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

LOL. All background pictures are sourced legally - all 15 of them. I can assure you none of them are from a baseball game.

Ah I see it's been changed from that baseball stadium ;) to a pitch! Much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks great gents, wouldn't mind getting an article up there at some point, but I don't know anything about fusbal :(

It'll be a quiet day here and everywhere around the interweb today but I've thrown up these two pieces to keep the content going - but we've some great stuff coming tomorrow and during the week.

Skrtel and The Dagger

Welcome To Meadow Lane

Now the homepage looks ghey with his ugly mug on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Have ye plans to expand the site to other sports? The style of the banner seems to suggest that

eg.
    Backpage Rugby
    Backpage Cricket
    Backpage Lawnbowls

And then have them all under the umbrella site
    Backpag Sports

Might be worthwhile buying those domains if you haven't already, just in case.

Dave! wrote: »
    Have ye plans to expand the site to other sports? The style of the banner seems to suggest that

eg.
    Backpage Rugby
    Backpage Cricket
    Backpage Lawnbowls

And then have them all under the umbrella site
    Backpag Sports

Might be worthwhile buying those domains if you haven't already, just in case.

Good thinking. We can create our own kingdom.

Backpage Gah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Good luck with the site lads, i'll check it out.. Always good to see more Irish run websites:)

Thanks Kev.

I'm been trying to set up a Liveblog for the Community Shield this afternoon - just as an experiment, but it won't embed properly at all.

New at BPF, from pickarooney - a member of Boards here.

Plus ça Change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have been reading the site and will keep an eye on it over the season, very nice design and could see it doing well. good luck with it. can i ask are the articles reviewed by an editor or even peer reviewed before they are published? if not could i recommend it, 95% is all fine but out of the 8 or so articles I read there were a few very awkwardly phrased sentences which I had to reread once or twice. just a thought!

can i ask are the articles reviewed by an editor or even peer reviewed before they are published? if not could i recommend it, 95% is all fine but out of the 8 or so articles I read there were a few very awkwardly phrased sentences which I had to reread once or twice. just a thought!

I read over them at least once, and I've found my editing skills aren't great yet as I usually miss a misspelling or poor grammer - but certainly will try to improve them as time goes on. Any serious mistakes you spot you can mention them in a comment, on here or just PM one of us.

And thanks for the support BP!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement