Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

****New football news site launched today!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Today at BPF:

The Week In Football #2 - Hitler, Lee Sharpe, Denis Irwin and more - it can only be the footballing week in times past.

Moments of Magic #1 - In the first of a new series, Neil looks at individual moments of brilliance that have helped shape the game that we love. Whose up first?

Serie A Season Preview 2009/10 - An in depht look at the season ahead, Bubs101's club-by-club preview of Serie A - a MUST read.

Happy reading. :)

Just up, a fantastic look at the German club 1. FC Union Berlin. I found it fascinating, a great tale.

http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/bundesliga-columnists/an-eye-on-germany-1-fc-union-berlin/

And while I remember, you're all free to join our Fantasy League - code is 1493-92619

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Read how Robbie Fowler got on as he made his A-League debut -

http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/reports/fowler-spot-on-as-a-league-gets-underway/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Number 1 Fan Here? :P, very good lads well done for keeping the site updated, have it bookmarked :P keep it coming lads :D.

Just an update with design, a thumbnail should appear in the news column with each item, and we've lessened the more detailed number of items with a list to add more functionality.
    Redzer7 wrote: »
    Number 1 Fan Here? :P, very good lads well done for keeping the site updated, have it bookmarked :P keep it coming lads :D.

Will do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

second that lads. pretty good site, great content, nice design. again it's bookmarked :)

second that lads. pretty good site, great content, nice design. again it's bookmarked :)

Thanks alot dude.

And remember, if any of you guys have Google Reader or something you can subscribe to our feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BackPageFootball

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

have been reading the site and will keep an eye on it over the season, very nice design and could see it doing well. good luck with it. can i ask are the articles reviewed by an editor or even peer reviewed before they are published? if not could i recommend it, 95% is all fine but out of the 8 or so articles I read there were a few very awkwardly phrased sentences which I had to reread once or twice. just a thought!

I have to agree with Bastard Prince here. Quality control is the one thing really missing on the site. If you can get rid of the unfounded claims (more hard facts needed in the opinion pieces) typos, incorrect spelling and grammar (it's is abused in about half the pieces for example) and overt bias (first-person pronouns when referring to teams) in many of the articles it would hugely improve the worth of the site as a whole.

I'm not sure who adds the articles or how, but if you can just get two people to read each one through before posting these niggles should disappear.

I think the main selling point of BPF is the variety of its articles and contributors and you seem to be finding the right balance between surprise pieces and regular features, so fixing the small problems should be easy enough. I have it bookmarked anyway.

Today at BPF

Fantasy League - Who To Pick Issue #2 - Our in depht guide into who you should pick ahead of GW1.

The Sack Race - My piece on who'll be first to get sacked this season.

And in the news: Lescott transfer request rejected while Gerrard pulls out of England squad.
    I have to agree with Bastard Prince here. Quality control is the one thing really missing on the site. If you can get rid of the unfounded claims (more hard facts needed in the opinion pieces) typos, incorrect spelling and grammar (it's is abused in about half the pieces for example)
    Of course we want top quality articles free of typos, incorrect spelling and so on but we try very hard in editing out all these. I've had no editing experience before this project, and as I publish most stories there will be the odd mistake. I think for now, as we're new and trying to build on the great site platform that it's important to know with time all these will be ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If someone would edit my La Liga preview then I'd be greatly appreciated, it was a little rushed and I was hung over, but I think I got the key points that would interest most casual followers.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    If someone would edit my La Liga preview then I'd be greatly appreciated, it was a little rushed and I was hung over, but I think I got the key points that would interest most casual followers.
    Don't worry dude, it'll be looked after!

EDIT: Xavi6's Australia vs ROI preview, if you haven't seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Great looking site. IMO the header font style for topics on the front page should be changed, any double L's just look like thick I's. I can't pinpoint why, but the font just hurts my eyes :p

Bookmarked!

Notorious wrote: »
    IMO the header font style for topics on the front page should be changed, any double L's just look like thick I's.

Can't get what you mean here dude, are you talking about article titles, eg "Kewell and the Gang"?

And instead of bookmarking, if anyone has Google Reader or something similar you can subscribe.

Notorious wrote: »
    Great looking site. IMO the header font style for topics on the front page should be changed, any double L's just look like thick I's. I can't pinpoint why, but the font just hurts my eyes :p

Bookmarked!

Strange, for me the lowercase i looks like an l (ell).

Strange, for me the lowercase i looks like an l (ell).

The lower case "i" looks nothing like an "l"...

There. Just finished an article, and it's scheduled with another for early tomorrow morning. Check them both out when they arrive!

Today at BPF

Farewell Setanta, hello ESPN. - why the arrival of ESPN is great for football fans.

Ready or Not? Is your club ready for the big kick-off? - a great guide to the opening weekend of the EPL, and a look at the plus points and doubts of their summer.

Your friendly afternoon update -

Big bucks being splashed out around Europe

Today's big EPL transfer

Anyone else interested in getting involved give us a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Today at BPF

Ready or Not? Is your club ready for the big kick-off? - a great guide to the opening weekend of the EPL, and a look at the plus points and doubts of their summer.

My eyes:eek::eek:

Font is ballbreakingly tiny

• Advertisement

Jus An Idea Lads But, When The League Starts Up Have A Goal Of The Week/Month With A Poll And A Link To The Goal So We Could Vote?

Good idea Redzer - cheers!
    Bubs101 wrote: »

Yeah I know - but it wouldn't go any bigger. :(

€25million transfers, ESPN vs Setanta, Lee Cattermole and a Premier League preview - all on the site today.

Well worth a read - http://backpagefootball.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Who wants to be the first to write about tonight's match? =/ My headline would be 'Stephen Hunt couldn't pass wind'

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    The lower case "i" looks nothing like an "l"...

It does and all, but only on linux, oddly (looks fine in Firefox on a windozs machine):

Sorry, had to squish the screenshot to make board accept it, you'll probably need to zoom to see what I mean.
    What font is that supposed to be by the way? It might be that I'm missing it and it's substituted by a crappy font.

• Advertisement

If you's are stuck for any ideas you's could do an article on all the big "flops"
    that left Arsenal and weren't successful at other clubs eg.
    This Fella Here

Ah - I see now. I'll pass that on to our designer.

I don't know what font it is, but I know our designer has developed fonts in the past so may have used them on the site.

Just a quick word that we invite everyone to get in contact if they'd like to write for the site - if you're an aspiring journalist or an armchair fan, you're all welcome.

Friendly daily update...

La Liga Season Preview - Boards' resident La Liga expert eZe^ gives us the low down on the season ahead in Spain.

Big Fish, Little Fish. - He's been to AC Milan and back, but what's in store for France's next big thing Yoann Gourcuff?

And in the news... - English football's most dangerous rivalry? Millwall draw West Ham in the Carling Cup.

Rember you can subscribe, and if you want to contribute please get in contact with us!

Not sure if this is the best place for technical feedback, but the link for Moments of Magic 2 leads to the article Moments of Magic 1.
    Also, are you moderating the comments but allowing posting articles as is? Seems a bit backwards...

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is the best place for technical feedback, but the link for Moments of Magic 2 leads to the article Moments of Magic 1.

Fixed
    Also, are you moderating the comments but allowing posting articles as is? Seems a bit backwards...

Is that a question on the editing or on the linking?

There's a problem with the permalink for articles in certain categories - that's happened a few times now, strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Bubs101 wrote: »

Hold Ctrl and scroll up with middle mouse button.;)

Anyone listen to Newstalk?

George Hook is a fan, and mentioned the site at the start of his 6:20 Soccer section!

What a legend!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fixed

Is that a question on the editing or on the linking?

Earlier on when I posted a comment it went into pending status (though one I just posted was published straight away), but anyone can post an article without pre-moderation, if I understood right.

Yes - one of your comments went into our spam filter one day, luckily I spotted it and approved it. It could also be down to "pickarooney" was fine to comment, but "Richard Walsh" had yet to be approved.

And comments have to be approved on most sites, to avoid spam and to fish out idiot comments like we got early on (eg. "****e site bla bla bla").

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I have to say, from writing for the site, it really is a fantastic resource for anyone who likes writing. Get involved lads, whatever football you like, go for it. I'm hoping to keep up my Bundesliga & Eredivisie articles anyway.

Your daily update:

Ligue Un Season Preview

More than just a game - Neil runs through his Fantasy League team.

Friendly update on what reading material we have today...

One 2 Watch: Toni Kroos - the next in our One2Watch series looking at young up and coming stars. This week, Bayern Munich's Toni Kroos.

The year we crack the Big 4? - My top five and relegation predictions. Prepare to disagree.

Happy reading

Intersting article on Kroos; I'd never heard of him before. However, and I know this has been said many times before, mostly by me, it's full of grammatical errors. I'd be happy to peer-review any articles before publication if it would help.

• Advertisement

Duly edited. That was actually written by myself well over a month ago, well before our new editing process. I scheduled it at 2am last night after finishing the other piece, so was too tired to edit it.

That's the thing though, if you edit your own piece you probably won't notice the mistakes. For example:
    Toni Kroos is one of a rare breed of player, one where you must have an eye for pass, a strong creative sense, the technique and ability to outplay your opponents plus bagsful of energy is a necessity.

The sentence is confusing because the 'where' isn't related to anything. You're describing a breed of player in the first part of the sentence, then a list of prerequisites for a role. 'You must have' and 'is a necessity' can't both be used in the same sentence.
    Soon after his debut, rumours were rife that Bayern manager Ottmar Hitzfeld had indeed promised Toni the number 10 shirt; and it was reserved for when Toni was finally ready to establish himself in the starting eleven full time.
    Minor quibble, but the semi-colon has no place here.
    He was very impressive; Kroos was awarded the player of the tournament, called the ‘Golden Ball’, and he also won the Bronze Shoe’ for being the third highest scorer in the competition.

Same here.
    And indeed he was, as Kroos lined out for his Munich debut weeks later. The attacking midfielder’s record speaks for itself at U-17 level, averaging a goal every three games in his 36 appearances for the Germans.
    36 appearances for Bayern or Germany? The paragraph flip-flops between club and country making it hard to follow.
    He may not have a lot of pace, but has incredible amounts of energy and enthusiasm to benefit that.

'Offset', 'cancel out' or 'balance' would all make sense here. 'Benefit' is misused.
    He has a sharp guile

Neither 'a' nor 'sharp' can be used with 'guile'
    , a crafty player,
    Needs a separate verb; otherwise you're saying he has a crafty player.
    however it was debated in a German weekly called the ‘Ford’ that alienating such a superb talent is idiotic and hazardous for both the club and the player, and that Bayern needed to develop him now.
    Does this magazine/paper exist? I think you may mean Focus magazine. Also, be careful with mixing up tenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Thats you told :pac:

Today's late update...

The weekend's Premier League Review.

The Week in Football #3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Can I just say the site looks excellent, its got a real nice feel to it and interesting aswell.

Excellent pieces on there so far lads, very impressed.

Also enjoyed reading the matchday review of the United game.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too.

Matchday Diary: Brum Beginning - A great diary of the happenings at Old Trafford for the game against Birmingham.

Moments of Magic #3 - The third edition, this week it's Nayem's last minute winner in the 1995 Cup Winner's Cup final against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

/plugs own piece on the site

The Great 3pm Blackout - a piece on whether it might be worth re-examining the Saturday 3pm blackout on live coverage

:)

Superb read, Gav.

Definately a must read folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just up; my report on the Celtic v Arsenal match- here
    /plug

• Advertisement

Catch up on all of last night's Premier League action

and

Read about Liverpool's new signing