Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should I follow??

• 03-08-2009 12:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

Right guys Ive been getting big into football in the last two years, but I still havent really chosen a team! Ive been to Qwest in Seattle but didnt really feel any way enamoured towards the Seahawks! So tell me who should I follow? Ive been thinking Chargers because I like Rivers? Anyone got any input?! Cant wait for the new season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm a Colts fan, but i'll be following the Bears closely for the next few years (partly because I love the city, partly because I like the look of them with Cutler in there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Patriots are your only team. The outstanding team in this decade. The best coach in the game, the best quarterback in the game, the best offense in the game, the best defensive line in the game, bit of worry on one side at OLB but we look solid everywhere else.

For exciting football week in, week out. A team that went 18-0 two year ago. They are the only team to follow.

Let me introdue you to some of the heroes.

Bob Kraft is the owner of the Patriots and the man that started this dynasty. A lifelong fan of the team, he bought the team outright in 1994 after refusing to sell the Stadium to the then owner of the Patriots Jame Orthwein who wanted to move the team to his native city of St. Louis. He saved the franchise there and then. The man is a living legend.

p1_kraft.jpg

Bill Belichick. Simply the greatest coach in the NFL right now and arguably in the history of the game. The man is rumoured to have a book collection on American Football bigger than most county libraries in this country. Another living legend and the mastermind behind three superbowls this decade.

01-Bill-Belichick.jpg

Tom Brady, the sixth round pick out of Michigan who is one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game. Back after being out all last year with a torn ACL. Almost cetain to claim the comeback player of the year award to add to his overflowing trophy cabinet. Hopefully he can add another ring this year too. He makes this offense the most exciting in the NFL. Imagine watching your quarterback throw 50 touchdown passes in one season.

p1_brady_trophy_ap.jpg

Randy Moss looked like he was finished at one stage, between troubles on and off the field and not performing it looked like a huge risk for the Patriots to take in 2007, he in now once again one of the most feared Wide Receivers in the game. There seems to be an almost sixth sense connection between himself and Tom Brady.

1195476085_8676-1.jpg

The most exciting little man I've seen in a Patriots uniform is Wes Welker, the 'slot machine', the 'pocket rocket'. Fanstastic to watch, explosive when he gets the ball and anything is possible with this guy. A guy who was going nowhere until he joined the Patriots

sp1102_welker_11-02-07_PA7NEN9.jpg

Added to this list we now have the following exciting players.

Fred Taylor has been a fanstastic player throughout his career and I'm drooling at the prospect of see this man on the field for the Patiots.

ImgDyn.cfm?s=78388112.jpg&rs=22&q=75&x=44&y=21&w=198&h=300

Joey Galloway is 37 years of age and no longer wanted by the Buccanneers, but the Patriots want him and you just kjnow that means we will probably see some the best football of his career. Just imagine that this guy is going to be found wide open at times as defenses struggle to watch Moss, Welker and Taylor.

joey-galloway.jpg

Thats just some of the exciting targets on the Patriots offense, we also have Lawrence Maroney who will be superb if he can avoid injury, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Greg Lewis and a couple of decent tight ends.

Then on defense, we have the legend that is Tedy Bruschi
    tedy-bruschi--snow-game-12703-%C2%A9photofile.jpg

Defensive Rookie of the Year Jerod Mayo is a player I'm really looking forward to seeing this season.

Jerod-Mayo.jpg

A superstar outside linebacker called Adalius Thomas

adalius-thomas-db.jpg

And of course these beast on the defensive line, imo the best defensive line in the game.

vince-wilfork.jpg

nfl_ap_warren_roethlisberger_580.jpg

724seymour.png

Thats my submission, its your choice of course but I don't see how you could pick anybody else. :)

I've nothing against people who are Pats fans all their lives, but the bandwagon is getting mighty overcrowded at this stage.

Anyway, it's all downhill from here with a banged up QB :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Agree with Davy, don't just jump on the bandwagon wixfjord, watch a few of the games on Sky or where ever and decide which team YOU like.

I've been following the Bears for 10 years now, in that time the team has only had 5 winning seasons, and the 5 losing seasons we have failed to win more than 5 games if i remember correctly and nearly always has had question marks at most positions on offense, but i felt a connection with the team.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »
    I've nothing against people who are Pats fans all their lives, but the bandwagon is getting mighty overcrowded at this stage.

Anyway, it's all downhill from here with a banged up QB :p

Eagle Eye if I didn't know better Id say Davy is calling you a bandwagoner :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

OP best way. Get a hat and write out the name of all the team on bits of paper. Put them all in the hat and pick one out at random. That will be the team you support.

To be honest asking our advice will just be biased responses to who we all support haha

My Opinion is the Patriots :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Hi guys long time since i followed the NFL the cowboys, greenbay, 49ers
    were topish at the time for me i liked the 49ers and giants so where do i stand with these teams now are they still even playing, but I look forward to keeping up with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Detroit Lions. 0-16 last year so you won't be called a bandwagoner. But these guys are my second favourite team in the nfl. My man crush for Calvin johnson can't be explained, he is imo the best athlete in the nfl and barring injury will be the best WR within the next two years. But I really thing there on the up, they've made some excellent signings on the defense in the off-season and with a number 1 pick Matt stafford at QB and TE Brandon pettigew to add to CJ they have some serious offensive potential for the future.

Usain bolt in pads. One of the great things about CJ is he has zero of the horrible attitude that most "top" WR's have, he seems like an absolute gent. I was sick when Raiders didn't draft him No. 1 in 07, instead plumming for philbury throw boy. :( 4.35 40 yard dash having done no prep work for it, 42.5" vert, 11 foot 7" broad jump, he's a machine.

727px-Love_heart_uidaodjsdsew.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Definitely a good idea to watch a few games and then decide on a team whose style suits you.

However... fans pick their teams for any number of reasons really. It could be that you like the history of the franchise, their reputation, their jerseys, their cheerleaders or absolutely anything at all. Just go for whoever you want and make sure you stick with them.

Good luck choosing your team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

OP best way. Get a hat and write out the name of all the team on bits of paper. Put them all in the hat and pick one out at random. That will be the team you support.

Reminds me of a thread on the NFLUK forums where some guy picks your potential team out of a hat of 32. In case the OP doesn't have Sky/Gamepass it might be a useful last resort in case he/she gets stuck:D

Eagle Eye if I didn't know better Id say Davy is calling you a bandwagoner :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

To be honest asking our advice will just be biased responses to who we all support haha

My Opinion is the Patriots :D

Lol, ah i'm not - fans don't come more dedicated than Eagle Eye.

In fairness I recommended the Bears. Obviously if the OP wants to see exciting football, you can't look much further than Indy. That they're effectively being written off this season is even more reason to watch them.

But he can get in early with the Bears, because i think this team could go places, and it would be nice to be there for the start of it.

The Vikes too, if they can draft one of the promising QB's next year, they'll be spectacular. Big IF though.

• Advertisement

The Vikes too, if they can draft one of the promising QB's next year, they'll be spectacular. Big IF though.
    It will never happen, even if they got Tom Brady they would still find some way to fcuk it up.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Detroit Lions. 0-16 last year so you won't be called a bandwagoner. But these guys are my second favourite team in the nfl. My man crush for Calvin johnson can't be explained, he is imo the best athlete in the nfl and barring injury will be the best WR within the next two years. But I really thing there on the up, they've made some excellent signings on the defense in the off-season and with a number 1 pick Matt stafford at QB and TE Brandon pettigew to add to CJ they have some serious offensive potential for the future.[/IMG]

Man i couldn't agree with you more I too love Calvin Johnson! I watched way too many Lions games last year just just to see him play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

eagle eye wrote: »

For exciting football week in, week out. A team that went 18-1 two year ago.

FYP:P

A proud Giants Fan!
    Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

If you didn't like the Seahawks, the Rams are for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

Around november of 2007 my mate was trying to get me into NFL. Said I should support the Pats. I said no. I would like a team that is not great but not terrible. In soccer I support Aston Villa so I wanted an American Aston villa mid to top table but not top.

So he said support the Giants. 3 months later he regretted that choice. (the browns owned by the same guy as Villa so lucky he didn't point that out to me)

zepp wrote: »
    Around november of 2007 my mate was trying to get me into NFL. Said I should support the Pats. I said no. I would like a team that is not great but not terrible. In soccer I support Aston Villa so I wanted an American Aston villa mid to top table but not top.

So he said support the Giants. 3 months later he regretted that choice. (the browns owned by the same guy as Villa so lucky he didn't point that out to me)
    Meh, if you were looking for a team similar to Aston Villa you could have went with the Lions or Ravens, the Birminghams of the USA. :pac:

zepp wrote: »

Giants > Aston Villa dude. Always were, always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Giants > Aston Villa dude. Always were, always will be.

Not in November 2007. The Giants were scrambling for the playoffs in 07 and just about made it. I think that is what he is saying. In November 2007 the teams most likely to win the SB were the Pats, Colts, cowboys and Packers; the Giants were fighting it out just below that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

themont85 wrote: »
    Not in November 2007. The Giants were scrambling for the playoffs in 07 and just about made it. I think that is what he is saying. In November 2007 the teams most likely to win the SB were the Pats, Colts, cowboys and Packers; the Giants were fighting it out just below that level.

Thats my point. If you had play offs in the premiership equal to the percentages of teams in the NFL that get into the play-offs. The top 8 would get in. Which Villa usually just about manages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

support a team who arent the may west at the moment but have a good young qb, thats what i did with indy back in 99 and its worked out ok :), i suggest the jets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

OP give a look at the 49ers,
    Coming on a few losing seasons at the moment but with a new coach since midway through last season who was an animal in his playing days and knows how to motivate these guys, Add to that an underperforming and slightly injury prone quarterback in smithy who is going to prove why he was worth the no.1 overall pick in 07 and patrick willis who is going to be possibly one of the best linebackers in the game,
    then the exciting new draftee in michael crabtree who is going to be an electric wide reciever.
    this season is going to be the start of the niners coming back to the big time.
    Plus the franchise has a great history behind it and over the years some of the games greats have taken part in the gold rush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Da Bears !!

Chicago !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

wixfjord wrote: »
    Right guys Ive been getting big into football in the last two years, but I still havent really chosen a team! Ive been to Qwest in Seattle but didnt really feel any way enamoured towards the Seahawks! So tell me who should I follow? Ive been thinking Chargers because I like Rivers? Anyone got any input?! Cant wait for the new season.

U could do worse than support the Chargers!. They are my team after all. However, like most of the guys said, watch a few games/highlights (on nfl.com) and u might find urself drawn to a player or uniform maybe.

I like to think some of the lesser teams (underdogs) could do with some support, I had to do it for years with the Chargers until we got ourselves a real GM who knew how to build a team.

Franchises like the Texans, Chiefs, Jets, 49ers are all up and coming teams with something good going for them.

Do not fall onto the Patriots bandwagon though, their period of dominance is coming to a close imho.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Do not fall onto the Patriots bandwagon though, their period of dominance is coming to a close imho.

Ah no thread is complete without the hater comment :D:D:D

Dominance maybe coming to an altough we techinically only dominated in one season and lost to the Giants in the Bowl. :D How people can count the Patriots out this year is beyond me and this isnt coming from my biased side its coming from my football brain.

The band wagon thing is getting old and exhausted at this point. The most successful clubs will always carry a large bandwagon. I know 2 new Steelers fans because of last season and 4 new Giants fans since the year before. Each to their own.

Ah no thread is complete without the hater comment :D:D:D

Dominance maybe coming to an altough we techinically only dominated in one season and lost to the Giants in the Bowl. :D How people can count the Patriots out this year is beyond me and this isnt coming from my biased side its coming from my football brain.

The band wagon thing is getting old and exhausted at this point. The most successful clubs will always carry a large bandwagon. I know 2 new Steelers fans because of last season and 4 new Giants fans since the year before. Each to their own.

By dominance I mean being a MAJOR contender in the AFC yr in yr out. I just reckon they are on the far side of the hill now. Just an opinion.

As for hater, it's just I have no time for Belichick whatsover. On this side of the pond we call them types ****. Oh and Richard Seymour is a bollix. ;-)

Hey come those 2 bold words were not blanked out?.........

By dominance I mean being a MAJOR contender in the AFC yr in yr out. I just reckon they are on the far side of the hill now. Just an opinion.

As for hater, it's just I have no time for Belichick whatsover. On this side of the pond we call them types ****. Oh and Richard Seymour is a bollix. ;-)

Hey come those 2 bold words were not blanked out?.........

**** generally make the best coaches :D:D Look at Alex Ferguson on this side of the pond.

Dominance in AFC maybe but going 11-5 last year and only 1 game back on the Dolphins and that was without Tom Brady and an ageing Defense. We wont dominate this year but I can see the Patriots taking it again now Brady is back sure wont be easy but again thats my football brain and not my biasism.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

OP here. Thanks everyone for the advice, even if some of it may have been one eyed :D

I think ive narrowed it down to the Bears, Chargers and Falcons.

If Im correct the Bears are due a big season and with Cutler in tow should have a good go.

Will the loss of L.T. affect the Chargers a lot?

And then the Falcons. I enjoyed watching them last year and think Ryan and Larry Fitz are electrifying players.

Big decision to be made!

OP here. Thanks everyone for the advice, even if some of it may have been one eyed :D

I think ive narrowed it down to the Bears, Chargers and Falcons.

If Im correct the Bears are due a big season and with Cutler in tow should have a good go.

Will the loss of L.T. affect the Chargers a lot?

And then the Falcons. I enjoyed watching them last year and think Ryan and Larry Fitz are electrifying players.

Big decision to be made!

Huh?.... what do u mean the loss of LT?. He is 100% fit for the first time in 3 years, I expect him to have a fine year. As for a replacement I think we might look at drafting that player next year unless Gartrell Johnson (draftee in 09) shows us something special. Sproles is here to stay but he is not a workhorse/every down back.

Larry Fitz is a Cardinal.

Good luck with making your decision.

PS. Pick the Chargers and watch your team go win the Superbowl this year!!!.

PPS. Cutler is a douche, whose head can be got into. He will have the flashy numbers but will never win the big one for you. It suited him to gtfo Denver as the Chargers had his number bigtime.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I alone in supporting a team for a reason other than how good they are?

When I started to get into football, the Giants had Kerry Collins at QB, and I joked that I should get a NY jersey (my surname is collins). The lads got me a Tiki Barber shirt instead (couldn't find the Collins shirt).

In 2007, I went to the NFL International Series game in Wembey, I proudly wore my Giants shirt even though most people I was with (and a sizable amount of the crowd) seemed to be shouting for the Dolphins... At that stage of season the Giants were the suck, but i stuck with them and yay for superbowl 42...

Follow a team for a good reason, not because they are going to be a good team... Things are cyclical in the NFL, a team may not be any good next year, and win the superbowl the year after..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

dulpit wrote: »

When I started to get into football, the Giants had Kerry Collins at QB, and I joked that I should get a NY jersey (my surname is collins). The lads got me a Tiki Barber shirt instead (couldn't find the Collins shirt).

In 2007, I went to the NFL International Series game in Wembey, I proudly wore my Giants shirt even though most people I was with (and a sizable amount of the crowd) seemed to be shouting for the Dolphins... At that stage of season the Giants were the suck, but i stuck with them and yay for superbowl 42...

Follow a team for a good reason, not because they are going to be a good team... Things are cyclical in the NFL, a team may not be any good next year, and win the superbowl the year after..

Im a Giants fan aswell. Good to see some more troops on here!! I got a NYG t shirt from some family over there when I was six and I just decided that was my team right there! even though I knew nothing about the sport!! So when I started following the NFL properly when I was around twelve I didn't have to choose a team I had done that already!

Id say alot of guys got there teams because of family in certain places or if they lived in or visited an NFL city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

hi all,

what about the steelers???
    they won it the most times, have a fantastic owner in mr. rooney(all man utd fans should support the steelers:D)
    nobody seems to like them:rolleyes:
    i know they are focused more on defense but as the sayin goes...
    offense wins games, defence wins championships...

plus pittsburgh is the city of champions as the penguins won the stanley cup!!!(ice hockey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Craig87

The best way to decide is sit down watch a few game and what ever team you like watching and enjoy how they play you should pick.

There is no reason taking the advice of a Cowboy fan to support them or a Pats fan etc. Pick a team based on the style of play you like.

If it is hard nosed D and heavy run, Go Titans, If its cannon passes and no D go Saints.

So my advice would be to sit down and watch a few teams and whatever appeals to you that way. Thats how I became a Dallas fan back in the day

Izy wrote: »
    hi all,

what about the steelers???
    they won it the most times, have a fantastic owner in mr. rooney(all man utd fans should support the steelers:D)
    nobody seems to like them:rolleyes:
    i know they are focused more on defense but as the sayin goes...
    offense wins games, defence wins championships...

plus pittsburgh is the city of champions as the penguins won the stanley cup!!!(ice hockey)

There seems to be a slight trend in America where a State wins twice or three times.

It was Penn last year with the Steelers and Pengiuns

Then two years back or maybe three Mass had Celtic, Red Sox and Pats all win.

Come on Mavericks, Cowboys and Stars I can feel it happening

dulpit wrote: »

I was won of those people shouting for MIA :D I couldn't bring myself to cheer for the G-men not being a Cowboy fan. My Brother was with me and he is an Eagles fan so there was no NYG love in this household up until they beat the Pats and ruined there perfect season :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Craig87 wrote: »
    There seems to be a slight trend in America where a State wins twice or three times.

It was Penn last year with the Steelers and Pengiuns

Then two years back or maybe three Mass had Celtic, Red Sox and Pats all win.

Come on Mavericks, Cowboys and Stars I can feel it happening

mavericks maybe(still fancy the orlando magic) cowboys ok but the stars:eek: they are so bad... but thats for the hockey thread:D

Izy wrote: »
    mavericks maybe(still fancy the orlando magic) cowboys ok but the stars:eek: they are so bad... but thats for the hockey thread:D

Ah no being realistic there is no way either of them three will win anything being brutally honest.

Advertisement