Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question on Motor Tax

• 03-08-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My tax was up on the 1st of August. I completely forgot about it but paid it online on the 1st of August. Obviously with the Bank Holiday and everything it will be a few days before I get my new disk so I was wondering where I stand with driving my car now. If I get pulled over by the Gardai will I get a fine or am I covered? I have the receipt stating that I paid my tax and all that.

Thanks,

Ergo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have a months grace, the receipt will be absolutely fine if pulled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MYOB wrote: »
    You have a months grace, the receipt will be absolutely fine if pulled over.
    This has been done before, the OP could be fined for failure to display a current tax disc. That said, if they could prove that the car actually was taxed there's a good chance the matter wiould be dropped.

Anan1 wrote: »
    This has been done before, the OP could be fined for failure to display a current tax disc. That said, if they could prove that the car actually was taxed there's a good chance the matter wiould be dropped.

It was done two days ago with a Garda stating you've a month to display the disc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

MYOB wrote: »
    It was done two days ago with a Garda stating you've a month to display the disc...

Legally there is no month's grace. But any reasonable Garda will give you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jhegarty wrote: »
    Legally there is no month's grace. But any reasonable Garda will give you one.
    The Gardai are generally fine with this, it'd be more worried about getting a ticket from a warden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Cereal Killer

Off topic?

My tax is out 10 months, can't afford to pay it, and can't afford not to drive to work. Resession hits people harder than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Off topic?

My tax is out 10 months, can't afford to pay it, and can't afford not to drive to work. Resession hits people harder than you think.

What are you expecting people to say - I hope you get caught?

Get the bus or sell your car and get a smaller engine old car that costs 300 a year to tax.

Paying 1200 a year here, pisses me off when I see a foreign reg car or car on uk/northern plates being used by locals, would love to know if theres a number you can report people to on revenue, just for spite =D

Tails142 wrote: »
    What are you expecting people to say - I hope you get caught?

Get the bus or sell your car and get a smaller engine old car that costs 300 a year to tax.

Paying 1200 a year here, pisses me off when I see a foreign reg car or car on uk/northern plates being used by locals, would love to know if theres a number you can report people to on revenue, just for spite =D

It was Revenue in Lifford once upon a time, not sure if it still is now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Cereal Killer

I'm not a foreign plate.

Point to the Op is not to worry so much, I got fined 2 months ago, and paid it, so guards are fairly lenient and forgiving.

I have a family, so need a big car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

ah man, sure just tell them to feck off if they pull ya over...works for me every time bud!

but seriously, you'll be grand, as long as youre not acting the maggot on the road. its only a few days out, relax!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just watch out for the parking warden. I got fined by one a while back when my tax still had a month left to go. Had to send off a copy of my tax disc to the local super

Advertisement