Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons of UPC broadband?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Right now I'm on an imagine 3mb DSL connection with a download speed of about 310/kbps max

I'm looking to upgrade my connection to something alot faster
    I'm was thinking about upgrading my 3mb connection to a 7mb but would that really make much of a difference since i live in the arsehole of nowhere in westmeath ?

Ive been hearing good and bad things about UPC broadband , I heard the connection (when its working) is good, but is very unstable and speeds go up and down drastically and if its anything like chorus digital i wouldn't doubt that for a minute

So what do you ye think?, Should i just upgrade my connection or switch all together to UPC , Price is pretty much the same since i have chorus digital anyways

Also, anyone on imagine been getting disconnects lately? like massive ones that last from 3am to 8-10am ?
    Got 3 of them in the last week

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Con
    Unless you are on cable, you can't get UPC BB. MMDS is only TV.
    Some areas are not upgraded yet so speed may not be great or even unavailable though there is Digital TV on the cable.

Pro
    Save on line rental €26 a month by ditching phone line.
    Distance doesn't affect speed, if you have a connection.
    (Check your line stats, the Majortity of lines can't do 7Mbps as 3Mbps is about the average).

IN areas where the Cable has been upgraded or newly converted to BB, the connection should be very stable.

You are really on eircom resold by Imagine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

UPC BB Pros:
    20Meg download speed constant for me (even in evenings, D2 area)
    Cheaper 20Meg package than Eircom 7.6Meg (Think dads paying eircon €80 a month inc line rental for it), UPC is costing €40 a month to me
    Consistant good pings to irish servers always when tested, good ones to foreign ones aswell

Cons:
    For about 2 weeks when I first got it a node went down and speeds could hit dial up speeds, not happened since though! (Working grand a good few months)
    For some reason it randomly reboots itself probably once daily, usually later on at night, comes back to life quick enough though

Nick

Advertisement