Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35k - 40k km per annum justify a diesel engine?

• 03-08-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

If you doing between 35 to 40k km per year (Sales Rep) would that justify buying a diesel engine, and what type of car would you recommend for this type of driving? Mainly in Republic and Northern Ireland. I've been told a VW Passat or Mondeo, what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Depends on a lot of things really, but in a nutshell you're probably better off with a diesel. The Passat will get slated on here, but actually it's very decent overall. The Mondeo will get all the recommendations, and it is excellent, but there's another car I'd rate higher. I'm not an Opel fan at all, never have been, but the Insignia is in my opinion the best in that class, and the best value too. Other worthy contenders include the Legacy, Accord and ugly but comfortable Superb.

how about the 320d? brilliant car imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

how about the 320d? brilliant car imo..

+1 on that.
    Depends what your budget is really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Octavia 2l TDi pd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

opel insignia +1

or else a citroen c5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

opel insignia +1

or else a citroen c5

You certainly get a lot for your money with the new C5.
    Couple of lads in work are getting one when they change the company cars in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW 320d or Octavia TDi VRs gets my vote.

apart from car suggestions, i'd definately say that mileage justifys a diesel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Hello there,

If you doing between 35 to 40k km per year (Sales Rep) would that justify buying a diesel engine, and what type of car would you recommend for this type of driving? Mainly in Republic and Northern Ireland. I've been told a VW Passat or Mondeo, what do you think?

I thought you did 15k per annum and already basically decided on a 320d?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635592&page=4

Though a Sales Rep in a 3 series is really just too.. obvious isnt it?

I think Id want somewhere interesting and comfortable to be sitting doing that much mileage. Im looking at almost 35k km per year, no way Id be put putting around in a little diesel and Id be paying for my fuel.. I assume a sales rep gets a Fuel Card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Hello there,

Yep the mileage would justify a diesel, A company I deal with have a fleet of Skoda Octavias & seem happy with their performance

• Advertisement

Ya, I was wondering too what happened the other 40k car option!!
    Still, too many Octavia suggestions here, the Insignia is a better car in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

well they are in different classes though. Whats your story with budget OP? Surely a rep will have a company car? Or at least a fuel card and expenses. If its your own car anything german would probably be the best option as Ireland loves those VW's made from stood and all that craic.

If you like power and a bit of fun the octavia VRS is almost a bargain. Same with the run out model Legacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Biro wrote: »
    Ya, I was wondering too what happened the other 40k car option!!
    Still, too many Octavia suggestions here, the Insignia is a better car in every way.
    How can the Insignia have a track record of reliability when it is barely a year old - ?? or is it....don't know, just asking?
    What engine is it using? The Fiat1.9 150bhp one? If so, well as far as I know, its supposed to be a dinger alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's not using the FIAT one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EPM wrote: »
    It's not using the FIAT one...

It is. Its a 2 litre Fiat JTD rebadged as a CDTI. Engine comes from the Lancia Delta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

The Insignia uses a Korean diesel engine from the Chevrolet Captiva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Chevy who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Chevrolet Captiva doesn't even have a 2.0 diesel available in its range to begin with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

€24.5k cash approx will get you a new Legacy Saloon 2.0 diesel with a lot of extras on it. Add 3k for the estate...

Try getting a 3 series for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Biro wrote: »

I haven't seen too many with 250k miles on clock, which is how I usually judge a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is the Insignia even around that long though?

Whatever about the car (though I'd agree with a VAG choice), definitely get a diesel if you're doing that sort of mileage OP. I'd do probably around the same (or a bit more), and my 2L TDI Passat costs me roughly €30 a week in fuel, whereas the old 1.3 petrol I had a few years back was costing around €45 a week when I traded it in.

snowman707 wrote: »
    I haven't seen too many with 250k miles on clock, which is how I usually judge a vehicle.

In that case a 1990 starlet is even better than an Octavia.

Andy_R wrote: »
    The Insignia uses a Korean diesel engine from the Chevrolet Captiva.

Nope, it's a Fiat 2 litre diesel, in both 130 and 160 versions, with a 185 version coming, twin turbo is the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Whats your toughts on a Volvo S40 Diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

People saying the Insignia is "best in class" when it's too new a car for there to be any real idea how durable a machine it is :rolleyes:

Mondeo Diesel is a good shout, I have one and my last motor before this was also a TD Mondeo. Good solid yokes, cheap enough to maintain.

Oh yeah, good luck with the BMW when it comes to repair bill time. Right now that's the last thing I'd buy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

What about an Avensis? I have one and have 310000kms since March 2005 no issues!

basic and boring but the new car would be nice

Advertisement