Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand wedding dresses

Options
  • 03-08-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

Just discussing with some other engaged friends, the possibility of buying a 2nd hand dress. We were split in our opinion on whether you'd go for it. some of the girls wanted to b eteh first to wear their wedding dress and keep it for years to come. I was thinking it was a way to cut down on the wedding budget bu getting an amazing 2nd hand dress...or preloved as I heard one person call it!

What do you think...is 2nd hand a possibility for a wedding dress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Oh definitely. But I'm really, really mellow when it comes to any wedding I may have. I'm not the kind of girl who dreams about getting married and has a "plan" or anything like that. I can imagine a number of different wedding scenarios that would work for me, and a second hand wedding dress wouldn't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

same here. It wouldn't bother me if the wedding dress was 2nd hand. Nobody would know unless you told them.

It can be your "something old" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I don't see anything wrong with getting a second-hand dress!

If it fits, you like it and it makes you feel special, then why not?

Wedding dresses are expensive and you only wear them once so there's nothing wrong with trying to find one second-hand to save on expenses!
    Plus, ruling out the option of getting a second-hand dress might make your search harder! You might not be satisfied with any new ones you see. You might stumble upon a second-hand dress and fall in love with it :)

I'd say go for it, at least have a look! Just because it's been worn by someone else doesn't mean you can't make it your own or look unique in it! You could always have it altered, add pieces to it etc!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

A friend of mine just got a lovely dress for under €100 in Oxfam. And, as she said, she might even go mad and get another dress for the reception.

Oh and a lot of their dresses aren't second-hand, but samples, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I'd go for 2nd hand dresses, my friend works in the Oxfam on Georges St which has the wedding room upstairs, she brought me up to have a look at it. It's amazing and has a fantastic collection of dresses. Go for it.... You need to book an appointment for the Georges St branch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I wouldn't have a problem with it in theory. My mother, aunt, and friend's mother, however, were/are all seamstresses, so I'm campaigning for a handmade dress.

(I am, however, campaigning for a second-hand ring; we'll see how that goes.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'd be very fussy about getting the right dress, but if the dress I loved happened to be second-hand, it absolutely wouldn't bother me a bit! I'd just be delighted to be getting it cheaper than expected.

Having said that I wouldn't be all that sentimental about it, and would probably sell it on again or donate it to charity after the wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, would love a vintage dress actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

wouldnt bother me tbh think i would be glad that it wasnt so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If it is the right dress I wouldn't care if it was second hand.

To be honest would rather spend the money on something I would wear longer than one day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Miaireland wrote: »
    If it is the right dress I wouldn't care if it was second hand.

To be honest would rather spend the money on something I would wear longer than one day.

exactly, and as other posters said nobody would know unless you told them! that dress has only been worn once before you so its practically new anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hell to the no. But I wouldn't buy anything second-hand anyway.

tinkerbell wrote: »

Now see, I've bought many things secondhand, especially furniture. Reduce/reuse/recycle and all that . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Me too. Don't really like the idea of second-hand clothes.

I'd buy a new dress, but then I wouldn't be buying the usual meringue so I'd be wearing it a lot more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I wouldn't buy second-hand clothes, but I wouldn't class a wedding dress that's been worn once by one other woman as "second-hand clothes". It's not like it's worn out or of poor quality. Hardly akin to shopping at the local SVDP shop or anything.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Out of interest, where would you draw the line at this? Electronics? Car? HOUSE?!?! Or is it just clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Khannie wrote: »
    Out of interest, where would you draw the line at this? Electronics? Car? HOUSE?!?! Or is it just clothes?

Oh when I said I wouldn't buy second hand stuff, it was in the context of this thread - i.e. clothing, shoes, handbags.

Second hand cars and houses are different obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was just checking if you were a complete mentaler or not. :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Dresses are a crazy price to start with and you only get to wear them for a few hours. I can't see any problem at all I think its actually really sensible. Weddings cost a fortune, save where you can! Men usually only hire their suits, think how many people have worn those! Wats the problem with wearing a second hand dress if you love it and it suits you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Oh when I said I wouldn't buy second hand stuff, it was in the context of this thread - i.e. clothing, shoes, handbags.

I'd draw the line at second hand shoes, don't like the idea of wearing shoes that have been 'broken in' to a different shaped foot and they can't be given a good wash in the machine like clothes can. Wouldn't touch second hand cosmetics either.

A second hand wedding dress would probably be my first choice - like other posters have said, i'll only be wearing it for one day and there's already so much expense around a wedding. Also, i'd be looking in charity shops so it's be nice to have some element of the Big Expensive Extravaganza that benefited people less fortunate.

I already buy lots of stuff second hand - i'm curious about why some people on this thread wouldn't? Books, dvds, cds, furniture, clothes...it's all so much cheaper second hand! If i ever have children i'll defo be checking out the charity shops, they always seem to be full of barely worn baby clothes as kids grow so fast.

Also, when i'm flying somewhere on holiday i don't go near the airport bookshop - i'll have been into oxfam or wherever to stock up on €1 paperbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think if I found a dress that I was absolutely in love with I wouldn't mind who'd worn it before me really! I would, however, be happier to be absolutely in love with a dress that was new and just for me on my big, special day. Haha, not really. Wedding's aren't important to me and I can't see the dress being all that important to me either. That said, I am only 20 and commitment is scary!

cuckoo wrote: »
    I'd draw the line at second hand shoes, don't like the idea of wearing shoes that have been 'broken in' to a different shaped foot and they can't be given a good wash in the machine like clothes can. Wouldn't touch second hand cosmetics either.

Can you even buy second hand cosmetics??? :confused: That's just . . . bacteria-laden wrongness.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

flydino wrote: »
    What do you think...is 2nd hand a possibility for a wedding dress?

Absolutely and another woman wearing it for a few hours hardly constitutes second hand. As another poster said, no one will know it is 'preloved' unless you tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unless it belonged to Zsa Zsa Gabor, who cares if somebody once wore it for a few hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I would assume even the new ones have been worn - for quality control and the like
    or it may have been tried on by people in the shop but not bought - do they have tryer on ones then the real thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Id imagine there is a stigma attached to 2nd hand also????

But how the hell would people know unless you told them it was 2nd hand?
    Hell's even the fella wouldn't cop on, actually us fella's would be the last to cop on :P

Advertisement