Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Collection

• 03-08-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just recently moved to Waterford and a bit confused by the bin collection system. Have looked at the councils website but still have a few questions.

What exactly can go into the brown bin? Is it absolutely limited to whats on the council list or can common sense compostable things like paper towels go in it? And how about newspaper, even though its listed as going into the green bin, surely if you can wrap food in paper before it goes in the bin, then the whole newspaper can go in too?

Are things like crisp, ie pringles, tubes recyclable through the green bin?

And where can the bin tags be bought?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

EnnisJames wrote: »
    Just recently moved to Waterford and a bit confused by the bin collection system. Have looked at the councils website but still have a few questions.

What exactly can go into the brown bin? Is it absolutely limited to whats on the council list or can common sense compostable things like paper towels go in it? And how about newspaper, even though its listed as going into the green bin, surely if you can wrap food in paper before it goes in the bin, then the whole newspaper can go in too?

Are things like crisp, ie pringles, tubes recyclable through the green bin?

And where can the bin tags be bought?

Thanks for the help.

brown bin far as i know is only for food,grass cuttings etc

green bin is for recycling,paper,plastics etc.pringles tubes should be grand,probably made of recycled waste in first place anyway.

black bin is for general waste, a bit of everything.

you cant put glass into any of those bins,have to bring them to bottle banks yourself.

food wrapped in newspaper goes in black bin,by itself the food goes into brown bin,newspaper by itself,green bin.

bin tags can be bought in most local shops etc as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

food wrapped in newspaper goes in black bin,by itself the food goes into brown bin,newspaper by itself,green bin.

No they encourage you to wrap food in newspaper and put it in the brown bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All foods in brown bin wrapped (not sure why unless they think its to discourage vermin when its sat in the summer bins for two weeks). Brown also for grrass, shubb and bush cuttings etc twigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wtfchinaman

I'm new to waterford too.

Previously lived in Apartments in dublin where the waste disposal was much less complicated as it was managed by the apartment managers.

Just wondering, do you actually have 3 seperate sections in your home before you put them into the seperate bins?

Also, howabout heavy duty stuff like electricals, and unwanted furniture, where does one go about disposing them? And is there a cost for them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Electricals are taken into the dump free. Furniture, im sure there are recycling centers but you would pay (unless you give it to a charity).

Personally having a recycle and food bin seems the best way of then sorting it for the main bins outside. Same with glass I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    Electricals are taken into the dump free. Furniture, im sure there are recycling centers but you would pay (unless you give it to a charity).

Personally having a recycle and food bin seems the best way of then sorting it for the main bins outside. Same with glass I guess.

Electricals can be taken to the recycling centre at Kilbarry Civic Amenity Centre.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/environment/bulkygoods.htm

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/environment/recycling.htm

I'm not sure if that is what you meant by dump

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote: »
    Electricals can be taken to the recycling centre at Kilbarry Civic Amenity Centre.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/environment/bulkygoods.htm

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/environment/recycling.htm

I'm not sure if that is what you meant by dump

Force of habit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Left out black and green bin last night and only the black one was collected whereas (we believe) both were down to be collected. So, once again we ask ourselves, what whim of the gods has befallen us? The bin tag is a bit faded since we put out the same bin with tag a few weeks ago on the wrong day! And I think there might have been a plastic bag accidentally put in on top of the recyclables. It's always a bonus when the council take our bins. The elderly couple next door often take pity on our incompetence and I can only conclude that the instructions are written in elderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I was new to Waterford a few years ago, just outside the city. Missed the bin collection the first time so it was 6 weeks before the black bin was collected, bit of a nightmare rushing out to buy bin tags the night before collection, Mr Binman is much easier system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I put the black bin out in Ferrybank last Sat morning to be collected because of the bank holiday (usual day is Friday) but nobody had their bin collected.

I got the date from the new calendar sent out about a month ago.

Can't face another 3 weeks with no black bin.

Anyone know why?

(Called the council, got transfered then cut off.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dan1988iel

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I put the black bin out in Ferrybank last Sat morning to be collected because of the bank holiday (usual day is Friday) but nobody had their bin collected.

I got the date from the new calendar sent out about a month ago.

Can't face another 3 weeks with no black bin.

Anyone know why?

(Called the council, got transfered then cut off.....)

who collects the waste, is it a private company or waterford city council would any1 kno??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Theres city council collectors, and a company called Mr Binman..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dan1988iel

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Theres city council collectors, and a company called Mr Binman..

no just wonderin if they are city council collectors themselves cause i thought veolia was contracted to do the collection.

Advertisement