Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo-walk-home Cork

• 03-08-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

I brought my camera in one day last week and took my time walking home, stopping to shoot whatever I saw. One of the things that older photographers always seem to give out about is all the new digital-only-photographers tendency to shoot 10 frames when they only needed one, so I made sure I took my time to compose each shot properly and check my settings before opening the shutter.

I'm always amazed at the portraits some street photographers seem to get. There always seems to be at least one drunk guy on my walk, so I gave him a smile and just asked, "fire away, it's a great day". Great to meet a drunk with such a positive outlook.
    MG_7947.JPG

What got me here was the symmetry, and the fact that there's this small little "gated" community so close to the city centre.
    MG_7948.JPG

By the time I had gotten this shot the drunk had wandered on down the road and sat down for a picnic.
    MG_7950.JPG

I think this next one is the back of the Ear, Nose and Throat hospital on Western Road. It's not in condition out the back, a lot of decay, boom boom.
    MG_7953.JPG

There's a cricket ground that gets fairly regular use during the summer so I stuck my head in the gate to have a quick look at the practice going on. I really like the church in the background, but not sure what it's called. Possibly Sundays Well?
    MG_7957.JPG

More symmetry. These houses are just at the eastern entrance to Fitzgeralds Park on Mardyke Walk and immediately stand out because of the colour scheme. The council recently finished fixing up this road and put in nice new street lamps as well.
    MG_7958.JPG

Just a nice change from the normal gate's into houses. "I will build An Arch"
    MG_7959.JPG

This is the playing pitch at the Mardyke Arena, with the shaky bridge and another church in the background. One cool thing about all the hills in Cork is the layers it gives to photos. Just past the fence at the far end of the pitch is a brilliant walk that goes right beside the river for about 500m, loads of big old trees, very cool.
    MG_7964.JPG

It's not an every day occurence on the walk in, but it's a pretty kitty anyway. Seems fairly unimpressed by me though.
    MG_7979.JPG

Seemingly abandoned house right across from the Mardyke Arena.
    MG_7983.JPG

More symmetrical design but with asymmetrical upkeep.
    MG_7984.JPG

C&C would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hey Paudie, I really really like those photos.
    Looking at them I felt like I was on the walk with you. good job

#1 is the best for me

the sky ones could possibly do with a bit of cropping though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Cheers for that.

The sky ones are meant to be like that but seem the clouds seem to have lost a lot of detail in post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw this on the front page of board so I'm here to have a nose lol!

That church is called St Vincents but I think that most of the building seen isnt actually the church itself its used or was used by UCC as their School of Music.

Oh and great pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Great pics, I really enjoyed them. The though you put in to them really shows through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I love this documentation. Every single picture has it's place in it, thanks to your story around it. And like Tallon said it felt like walking with you even though I don't really know Cork.
    #1 is my favourite as well. Makes you wonder what those eyes have seen already.
    And some others work well outside this story as well. For me that would be especially #4 and #9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Good snapping there. Full credit.

Can't help noticing from these though - how oh-so-terribly English the self-styled 'rebel city' still looks today!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

Really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Good documentary and well observed shots- well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The second one, that's near the college isn't it? I have distinct memories of ending up in there for a party a few years ago on a 'field trip' down from Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Cheers everybody, well spotted Al, just around the corner from UCC.

Advertisement