Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line "upgrade" checker ?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

My parents line was recently removed from "carrier", and they can now order broadband. While checking the BT site for BB packages I came across this.
    When checking the number, it says my parents line will be upgraded on the weekend of 9th August. I'm a bit curious about what this means. Is the exchange just being upgraded for higher speed ? Or was August 9th the target date for removing the carrier ? And a more unlikely scenario, have Eircom decided to remove all carrier lines, and set dates for their removal ?

Like I say, just curious about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Just checked mine too(with eircom) says the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Your line will be upgraded post September

Eh?? (Currently waiting my eircom broadband to be connected in county wexford)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

That is when your exchange will be upgraded for a higher useage. (I.e, if your max speed is 7mb, this would upgrade it to 24mb)

To check if you can get it right NOW, then use the line checker, not the upgrade checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Great, hopefully I'll see an increase then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That BT page is redundant now. They were using it when Eircom were upgrading the speeds on a phased basis last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That BT page is redundant now. They were using it when Eircom were upgrading the speeds on a phased basis last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

Ah please dont say that to me ! its says on the BT page that I am due for an upgrade the weekend of the 9th of August , Im supposed to have an achievable speed of 5 mb (7.6mb,package) but my line sync has been completely down all week :

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:07:51:34
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 7

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1568 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 18.7 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 52.0 dB 26.0 dB
    Output Power 3.4 dBm 17.6 dBm

I am really hoping its because they are working on the lines, I was driving through Atgarvan last week and there was a load of eircom vans and trucks in the town working away on something , I am in Newbridge myself .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Strange mine has come back up to around where it should be today ,

As I said I am hoping there doing work on the lines !!!

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:11:36:02
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 4000 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 5.6 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 51.0 dB 26.0 dB
    Output Power 2.9 dBm 19.2 dBm
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 126 17
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 12 16
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 8
    D (interleaver depth) 64 8
    Super Frames 2456581 2456600
    Super Frame Errors 226 0
    RS Words 167047574 20880097
    RS Correctable Errors 7770207 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 277 0
    HEC Errors 157 0
    OCD Errors 0 0
    LCD Errors 0 0
    ES Errors 0 0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I believe it's taking the Micheal, apparently I'm due an upgrade on August 9th too. The thing is I've not got broadband, never have and apparently never will.

It means August 2008 not next week.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Further Proof!

*Rubs two RJ45 connections in the hope of magic-ing some internets*

• Advertisement

I hope your messing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I hope your messing !

Unfortunately not - I was waiting on this last year (9th August weekend) and it never happened in our area :( The page is OLD for sure.

I hope your messing !

Nope ....sorry.:(

Unfortunately not - I was waiting on this last year (9th August weekend) and it never happened in our area :( The page is OLD for sure.

Well that has ruined my weekend (weekend of the 9th of August) Is there any way of getting an indication when line speeds in your area will be upgraded ?

I have gone from using 20MB with UPC to BT and paying nearly €15 extra a month and the service and speed is complete rubbish.

I realize there are some out there without BB at the moment and I should not be complaining , I guess for me its a case of "you never know what you had , till you loose it"

Advertisement