Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Shadowing

Options
  • 03-08-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I remember reading something in the paper some time ago about this initiative where people with disabilities can shadow someone in the workplace.
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get further info on this and if there are specific dates for it or if you can do it anytime?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Hi Nelly

The National Job Shadow Initiative has been organised by the Irish Association of Supported Employment (IASE) for the past 2 years. So far it has been a one day event in the month of April. This year the public service also got involved as well as the private sector. The aim of the initiative is to give jobseekers with a disability an insight into a particular role within a company or service and also to highlight the skills of the participants. In some cases participants were offered employment by the host company.

The IASE is a representative body for Supported Employment services across the country. Supported Employment helps jobseekers with a wide range of disabilities or those with a health condition who are in need of support in finding suitable employment. The FAS sponsored Supported Employment programme, recently rebranded as Employ Ability Services, has a service covering every county with three in the Dublin region. There are also many disability services which have their own in-house Supported Employment service. Participants in the National Job Shadow Initiative are usually engaged with a service.

The IASE's website is www.iase.ie It contains a list of all Supported Employment services nationally. If you would like any further information on the initiative or on Supported Emploment in general please feel free to ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Thanks for that, I will look it up.
    I want to return to college and was thinking of using Job Shadowing as a means of getting an inside look into chosen career. Do you think I could use it in this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

The IASE Job Shadow Initiative is generally for people who are engaged with a Supported Employment programme as their intention is to find mainstream work as opposed to pursuing training or returning to education. The services which they are attached to are in a position to provide relevant insurance cover for the event.

A few suggestions:

- Contact the HR department of a company or organisation in your chosen field and ask them if they could facilitate shadowing an employee. If it is a large organisation they might have an equality/diversity/disability officer and you could discuss any accommodations you may require. You may need to contact a few before you get one that's open to but don't give up.

- The college at which you intend studying may also be able to assist you. Make an appointment to speak to a tutor in a relevant department as well as a career guidance officer or the disabilty officer at the college.

You are also welcome to PM me on the off chance I might have a contact in the field.

Advertisement