Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Post a pic of your bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Cian_ok wrote: »
    My bike yesterday

Nice bike and cool photo. Where was it taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

sonic85 wrote: »
    Nice bike and cool photo. Where was it taken?

Thanks. Colimore harbour looking over Dalkey Island. Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭tonytoc11

Picked this up in Belfast yesterday and drove her back to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

try upload picture to boards or imgur or flickr photobucket is not showing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

18814384_10209837416552700_5217407345608997893_n.jpg?oh=89abd424da0c362e7aac216b30147486&oe=59F08E4A

My buddy caught me coming around the corner in Vancouver on my BMW. I was happy with this

• Advertisement

20046835_10210190508939789_8964622888882567305_n.jpg?oh=1d026b9179feab91e3aaa92545df315f&oe=59FE7063

And again...no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

The Sv is gone and here is the replacement, 2009 gsxr!

vSFZ4jT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I gave her a bit of a clean last weekend:

166234803.MGTBbrc7.fdcichained.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭conor2469

I picked this up last Sunday, my first road going motorbike, Transalp 600

37330256325_b72c7299d5_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks very clean for a 96, well wear. One of the Honda Motor Companies best engines IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

What CJ said, very nice bike. post more pics when you get her out on the road

Cheers guys. Yeah I was surprised, looks to be very well looked after, no damaged plastics and looks to have been well maintained. I'll post more photos when it is out and about

conor2469 wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Yeah I was surprised, looks to be very well looked after, no damaged plastics and looks to have been well maintained. I'll post more photos when it is out and about

Just be careful of the CDI mountings they are mounted under the seat and can suffer from the pressure of the seat breaking them.
    If they do go bad, you can buy replacement CDI's from places other than Honda quite reasonably.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Just be careful of the CDI mountings they are mounted under the seat and can suffer from the pressure of the seat breaking them.
    If they do go bad, you can buy replacement CDI's from places other than Honda quite reasonably.

I'll be sure to check that. The bike came with a spare working CDI unit which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

oacTuEn.jpg

Middle of snake road in the peak district

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

1Ygj9jF.jpg

Snake road/pass again, it's a great spin.

2nd day of a 4 day trip around Wales and bits of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I haven't been on boards.ie for a few months (anyone even notice?), I'd a serious enough health issue to get to grips with.

Anyway last time I was here I'd a Vstrom DL650, a fantastic bike. Probably the most practical and cheapest to run bikes I've ever owned, I can't sing its praises enough ~ but after years on litre bikes it just bored the tits off me, so I'm back with a Kawasaki Z1000.

Here she is :D

429414.jpg

429413.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hope you are ok again dude.
    Happy riding too.

Glad to see you back Maki. I had noticed you hadn't been around for a bit but didn't want to start stalking you!
    Nice bike! How do you find the naked?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Glad to see you back Maki. I had noticed you hadn't been around for a bit but didn't want to start stalking you!
    Nice bike! How do you find the naked?

Thanks lads.

First off, the health.. Totally unexpectedly I was diagnosed with type II diabetes, which was a sucker punch and took awhile to get my head around.

As part of that I decided to get away from anything stressing me, and being a moderator here was a torn in my side (you wouldn't believe it, don't ever wish to moderate here lads).

The only forum I was enjoying was this one, by far the best biker forum for Irish bikers. But I needed the break.

Tbh, I thought I'd closed my account (I went through the process, but the software obviously didn't chuck me out).

Then I gave someone my laptop because they needed to access boards.ie, they told me I was still logged in and hey presto here I am.

One lesson learned, never let boards.ie or any internet discussion forum interfere in your personal life. NEVER let it intrude, ever.

So, to the bike and the naked.. Well I don't miss the buffeting problem on the Vstrom, I've read about it and never thought it could be as bad as some report it ~ its worse. I've had double vision on some rides because of it.

Its brilliant back on a litre bike, better everything ~ brakes, grip, suspension etc, but at the cost of added fuel consumption. On the Vstrom I was getting well over 300km for €20, best I pushed it to was 410km lol.. On the Zed I'm getting 200km for €20, but its worth it.

Oh, and luggage. There's absolutely no storage on the Zed, I had to duct tape puncture plugs, their tools and cannisters to my battery box because there was no where else to fit them.

The Vstrom, like I said I can't sing its praises enough. They're a fantastic machine (apart from the buffeting from the screen).. I know in time I'll say thats the bike I should never have sold, but hey I love the Z1000's, always have.

I'm not saying it because I don't have to worry about selling it, but its for sale in Bikeworld (probably a little over priced) but it was treated like a baby while I had it, I fitted heated grips, engine bars and bash plate, plus a new TPS and recently chain and sprockets ~ someone is going to buy a cracking bike.

That's it, the health is good now. I'm 30kgs lighter (in old money, I've lost 4 1/2 stone). I'm not insulin dependent (thank God) and thankfully diabetes hadn't taken its toll on me too much.

Long winded stuff, sorry. I was very fit but I know I was carrying too much weight also, because I compete in Judo at +100kg I kidded myself that staying heavy was good for my Judo (I was doing very good in competition and had won Gold in the national Masters the last few years).

But I was unhealthy. Now I'll be fighting -100kgs in November (and possibly -90kg). I'm getting mauled in training, but I'm healthy and fit now.

If any of you are worried about a diabetes diagnoses, and its on the rise ~ if you address things early its really nothing to fear and with a little work, and a quick learning curve (reading labels, taking your bloods etc) it can be turned into a very positive thing.. In fact I'll probably live longer knowing I've diabetes now than I would have in ignorance of it.

Anyone ever want to discuss it, PM me.

Hi, I'm back :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thanks lads.

First off, the health.. Totally unexpectedly I was diagnosed with type II diabetes, which was a sucker punch and took awhile to get my head around.

As part of that I decided to get away from anything stressing me, and being a moderator here was a torn in my side (you wouldn't believe it, don't ever wish to moderate here lads).

The only forum I was enjoying was this one, by far the best biker forum for Irish bikers. But I needed the break.

Tbh, I thought I'd closed my account (I went through the process, but the software obviously didn't chuck me out).

Then I gave someone my laptop because they needed to access boards.ie, they told me I was still logged in and hey presto here I am.

One lesson learned, never let boards.ie or any internet discussion forum interfere in your personal life. NEVER let it intrude, ever.

So, to the bike and the naked.. Well I don't miss the buffeting problem on the Vstrom, I've read about it and never thought it could be as bad as some report it ~ its worse. I've had double vision on some rides because of it.

Its brilliant back on a litre bike, better everything ~ brakes, grip, suspension etc, but at the cost of added fuel consumption. On the Vstrom I was getting well over 300km for €20, best I pushed it to was 410km lol.. On the Zed I'm getting 200km for €20, but its worth it.

Oh, and luggage. There's absolutely no storage on the Zed, I had to duct tape puncture plugs, their tools and cannisters to my battery box because there was no where else to fit them.

The Vstrom, like I said I can't sing its praises enough. They're a fantastic machine (apart from the buffeting from the screen).. I know in time I'll say thats the bike I should never have sold, but hey I love the Z1000's, always have.

I'm not saying it because I don't have to worry about selling it, but its for sale in Bikeworld (probably a little over priced) but it was treated like a baby while I had it, I fitted heated grips, engine bars and bash plate, plus a new TPS and recently chain and sprockets ~ someone is going to buy a cracking bike.

That's it, the health is good now. I'm 30kgs lighter (in old money, I've lost 4 1/2 stone). I'm not insulin dependent (thank God) and thankfully diabetes hadn't taken its toll on me too much.

Long winded stuff, sorry. I was very fit but I know I was carrying too much weight also, because I compete in Judo at +100kg I kidded myself that staying heavy was good for my Judo (I was doing very good in competition and had won Gold in the national Masters the last few years).

But I was unhealthy. Now I'll fight fighting -100kgs in November (and possibly -90kg). I'm getting mauled in training, but I'm healthy and fit now.

If any of you are worried about a diabetes diagnoses, and its on the rise ~ if you address things early its really nothing to fear and with a little work, and a quick learning curve (reading labels, taking your bloods etc) it can be turned into a very positive thing.. In fact I'll probably live longer knowing I've diabetes now than I would have in ignorance of it.

Anyone ever want to discuss it, PM me.

Hi, I'm back :D

class post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Fair play dropping 30kg ! That's a serious amount of weight.

Was the diet just bad? How you figure it out. Anything you've cut out of the diet, you wouldn't have thought be a runner for type II only once you get it you find out it's a bad food?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Fair play dropping 30kg ! That's a serious amount of weight.

Was the diet just bad? How you figure it out. Anything you've cut out of the diet, you wouldn't have thought be a runner for type II only once you get it you find out it's a bad food?

Ok, I'll be honest. The diet wasn't bad, I don't have a sweet tooth, but I had gotten into a habit of drinking at home (Lidl's Perlenbacher weisse bier is lovely :P ) grew into a very bad habit, and I loved bread, bread with everything lol.

I went off the beer almost entirely at first.. I was almost 130kgs, so I said after each ten kg weight loss I'd go for a beer and a chipper as a cheat/treat day and that's what I did.

I also went off white anything, bread, rice, pasta and started to read and compare labels ~ I'd always go with the label with the lowest sugars. I went really low carbs, high protein and moderate fats.. I also started more jogging, I cycle a lot anyway but I knew jogging shifts weight very quickly so that's the route I took.

Now I'm jogging a few times a week (usually around 6-7km, longest has been 13.5km). The bloods are fine, actually the little finger pricks aren't so bad and you do get used to them, it takes seconds.

And stress, guys. If something is stressing you, walk away from it. I just won't allow it anymore.. I'd a savage temper, I'm a red head lol. Now I just turn my back on anything which will trigger a reaction or disturb the inner peace I've found (including this site and justifying my actions here as a moderator, fook that ****).

Your health really is your wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Glad to hear your doing ok Mak. Nice bike. Wear well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Welcome back Mak!

When I was younger and even stupider I was in a taxi and talking medical stuff with the driver. He told me he had type 2 diabetes. I said "that's funny, you're really skinny, I thought only fat bastards got it". "Yeah, I used to be 25 stone". Awk-ward. :D

I've since learned to keep my mouth shut...a bit.

And yes, modding is a total ballache. It'd be fine if there was no such thing as PMs and the fights were in the open!

21993190_10210732561130755_2534390322742198448_o.jpg?oh=c1990fc6c4a51b5919519c8186ea3000&oe=5A873027

A quick whip up to Squamish at the weekend here in British Columbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well I haven't been on boards.ie for a few months (anyone even notice?), I'd a serious enough health issue to get to grips with.

Anyway last time I was here I'd a Vstrom DL650, a fantastic bike. Probably the most practical and cheapest to run bikes I've ever owned, I can't sing its praises enough ~ but after years on litre bikes it just bored the tits off me, so I'm back with a Kawasaki Z1000.

Here she is :D

429414.jpg

429413.jpg

Crying out for a belly pan. Welcome back too, health is your wealth and only as you get older to appreciate that more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Here's my latest squeeze, its a 2018 BMW R1200GS Adventure Triple Black. Just picked it up from Joe Duffys in Finglas yesterday after waiting 3 and a half months for it.

It was worth the wait :D

437874.jpg

437875.jpg

437876.jpg

437877.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

My newest..
    Picked it up in September.
    2016 Thruxton R1200,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

R1_Pete wrote: »