Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity surveyor moving to oz

Options
  • 03-08-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Thinking of moving to brisbane in the coming 3 months,and i was just wondering did any one know wat the story was with work, i have a degree in quantity surveying and have 2years work experience.

just a few quick questions if anyone can help

1.how much would i make roughly
    2.how much is rent
    3.wats the story with insurance
    4.if i get a working holiday visa do i have to pick fruit or do some crap job like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

emmett99 wrote: »
    Thinking of moving to brisbane in the coming 3 months,and i was just wondering did any one know wat the story was with work, i have a degree in quantity surveying and have 2years work experience.

just a few quick questions if anyone can help

1.how much would i make roughly
    2.how much is rent
    3.wats the story with insurance
    4.if i get a working holiday visa do i have to pick fruit or do some crap job like that

1.how much would i make roughly: 50,000, if you manage to get a job
    2.how much is rent: 200 a week
    3.wats the story with insurance: Its a method of limiting you losses for a price. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance
    4.if i get a working holiday visa do i have to pick fruit or do some crap job like that: No, picking fruit is for those people inferior to you.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emmett99

is work as a quantity surveyor hard to get because i some of my friends went out a few months ago who are construction managers and engineers and no one would hire them as they had only a 1 year working visa, they said the would stay for 3 or 4 months and then feck off on the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Mate, it would be hard for anyone to answer your question.

In fairness, how could they? Moving to another country is a risk/gamble. If you're going to do it, try and plan with a contingency plan. Take enough cash to survive for a period of time without work. be prepared to take a pay cut - if you get offered a job doing what you want to do. Be prepared to do something a bit different to what you do back home.

yea i know, i would do something else if i had to and i would work for less, but wat i have bin told is that the hardest thing is getting the foot in the door somewhere,

was kinda of hoping that a qs who was in a sililar position as me who had done it all and could give me some advice, coz i dont want to go out and cant gat a job and end up spending all me savings in a couple of weeks and end up coming home early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Its too late dude.

I came over 18 months ago, got a job no worries on a WHV and am nopw sponsored.

I started on 75k as a Contract Administrator, its a cross between builders QS and the site engineer. You let contracts, pay the subbies and coordinate the trades. I have move on substantially now as I found it easy to out perform the locals...I have 10 years expeience as site engineer, PM and QS....

I have slotted in well here and am very much part of the permanent staff. Wages are good compared to cost of lving and a decent 6 figure slary is the norm once you get settled in and prove your self.

As no one is currently depsperate to employ anyone there is no reason to take a punt on WHVers. I have a mate here just now, Civ Eng. I fear he will get the sam hassle.

Worst for him is the lazy bastard could have got a Skilled Visa 6 months ago before he came, I gave him plenty of notice. This would have had him equally as employable as any one else.

Any way come for a holiday and see hpw you get on. You could live here ok on the equivilant of the irish dole, whats that 180 e a week ??

You can rent a deecnt room in Brizzy for 120 -160 a week sharing. Everuything else from cars to insurance is cheap.

I insure a 4.2l car for 500e a year !

• Advertisement

so tis more or less too late for me to get a job as a quantity surveyor on a working holiday visa at this moment in time unless i know someone or just get really really lucky which is not likely to happen,

does anyone have any ideas or contacts that would help me in getting a job as a qs is brisbane

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Its possible to get a job there, but you gotta show something different, to do that you gotta be in the exact position of timing for it to happen, go out to the site, directly contact the employer and you could make it happen.

Diamondmaker were able to insure the car using your Irish driving license?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

emmett99 let us know how you get on....i fear i could be in the same situation as yourself by the end of next month

think im proper ****ed by the sounds of thing, tried everywhere for a job, canada ****ed, middle east ****ed, uk ****ed, just can get in anywhere as a qs because i dont have over 5yrs experience, agenices wont even talk to me now, they just say that someone like me should just apply directly to companies as i dont have the necessary experience, and it wouldnt pay them to get me a job

does anyone have any contacts or company names that they have worked for who might be willing to hire a qs

what requirement companies have you been talking to, i.e. irish or foreign? seen an ad in today's indo for qs in dublin

• Advertisement

bin talking to both, the irish ones say they have nothing and that they wont have any jobs for a long time, dont really hear back from the foregin ones,

i must look up the indo online, was it an add looking for surveyors abroad in general because thats on it everyweek

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Ya need to get yourself a permenant visa then employers will snap you up.. they wont touch people on one year visa's because your gone a few months later!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

You should try get chatting to some Irish owned construction companies based in the UK, if you would consider moving there again. They might be more willing to overlook your lack of experience and assess you on your merits as they stand now. That's kind of how my brother (who could also be called 'inexperienced') got in the door here as a QS.

cant get a pernmant visa unless i get sponsered, cant get sponsered unless i have a job, tis a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg, i suppose there is a certain amount of luck too

dont really know any irish companies in the uk, would go to the uk if i could but tis hard to get in anywhere, rang up one place and they were 600 applications for the one job

cant get a pernmant visa unless i get sponsered, cant get sponsered unless i have a job, tis a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg, i suppose there is a certain amount of luck too

dont really know any irish companies in the uk, would go to the uk if i could but tis hard to get in anywhere, rang up one place and they were 600 applications for the one job

CAn I ask you just how many years experence you have?? I am persuming that you are still young?? From what I can tell if you have more than a year exp you should be able to get a permenant visa without going near sponsorship..

My sister was sponsored for years.. it isnt actually a permenant visa.. someone correct me here if I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

i have 2years work experience.
    sharky86 wrote: »
    CAn I ask you just how many years experence you have??

I also wish to know the information you have already posted. :)

I also wish to know the information you have already posted. :)

opps :rolleyes:

yesterdays ad in the indo was for Glenibeigh construction (spelling might be incorrect), give them a ring and see

another site i came accross last nite was http://ec.europa.eu/eures/main.jsp?lang=en&acro=job&catId=482&parentCategory=482

type in quantity surveyor in the keyword search and over 1000 hits for a qs in the uk will appear

Advertisement