Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uk paramedic training-is it valid in Ireland??

Options
  • 03-08-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

if you qualify as a paramedic in uk and get registered with UK Health Professional Council does that mean you can apply for job in Ireland as paramedic or does Irish Phecc only recognise its own training courses???
    If all in EU is there any recognition of any other courses other than irish listed?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

reid wrote: »
    Yo,

Just wondering has anyone with an interest in becoming a Paramedic gone the UK route and applied to any of universities over there? I have what is described as a 'group interview' this thursday for Bournemouth's Paramedic Science course, anyone been in this position in recent years? Basically trying to find out if it's the standard interview format you'd expect or are the going to throw in a few surprises...

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Just found this but no replies!

Register > Joining the Register > Qualifications obtained overseas

Applying for registration in Ireland – information for pre-hospital emergency care practitioners: Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics qualified overseas

From Phecc website-Seems complicated and costs €230 but seems you can apply for recognition on an individual case basis- has anyone done it and more importantly if recognised can you apply to hse for a job??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

drrkpd wrote: »

Applying for registration in Ireland – information for pre-hospital emergency care practitioners: Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics qualified overseas

From Phecc website-Seems complicated and costs €230 but seems you can apply for recognition on an individual case basis- has anyone done it and more importantly if recognised can you apply to hse for a job??

I know of people who have done it. Once recognised by PHECC, there is nothing to stop you applying for a job with the HSE but it all falls down to when they are recruiting. In light of the current economic difficulties, it might be no harm giving recruitment in Manorhamilton a ring. If your already qualified you might get taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

The UK Paramedic course is on par with Irelands on. PHECC will normally recognise a UK Paramedic here, but they do have to upskill some medications and must complete the CPGs also. (Normally done by the 3 training institutes that have upskilling).

If your course has major differences with the PHECC education and training standards you may be required to complete the PHECC exam, on top of the upskilling! Best bet is to find out a detailed course content and hours involved in each part and compaire with the Ed standards or email PHECC and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Hi guys,

I have an Irish drivers licence and am thinking of joining the NHS paramedics in London and need the C1 and D1 licences. Can I do them in the south and transfer it straight over to a UK licence or do I need to do it in England/Northern Ireland?

Do they accept a Northern Ireland licence?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Your licence is an European Licence and is valid in the EU. However the Brits will probably want you to change it over to one of theirs because they can't check an Oirish one on their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Thanks for the response.

Will I have to do any additional tests or is it just a straight swap between Irish and UK licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

normally straight swap one EU licence for another.

very helpful-thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

hi all,random Q,I was just always curious as to why you needed a bus licence to become a paramedic?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

triple-M wrote: »
    hi all,random Q,I was just always curious as to why you needed a bus licence to become a paramedic?
    thanks

Older ambulances were able to carry over 8 people and so fell into the mini bus D1 licence. Hense it is now required as there are still some of those on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Older ambulances were able to carry over 8 people and so fell into the mini bus D1 licence. Hense it is now required as there are still some of those on the road.
    thanks for the straight forward answer,that cleared it up for me,i knew it had to be something simple

coolmoose wrote: »
    normally straight swap one EU licence for another.

Looks much more complex than it used to be!!!
    You MUST have a permanent address in UK which is a change form before-will
    go and search boards and look up other peoples experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Looks much more complex than it used to be!!!
    You MUST have a permanent address in UK which is a change form before-will
    go and search boards and look up other peoples experience.

yes obviously you will have to be resident in the UK...you were considering moving there to complete paramedic training, so you will (i presume) be living there during this time. You're entitled to drive over there for a year on your full Irish/EU licence anyway, but as said before the UK services may request that you swap for a UK one.

coolmoose wrote: »
    yes obviously you will have to be resident in the UK...you were considering moving there to complete paramedic training, so you will (i presume) be living there during this time. You're entitled to drive over there for a year on your full Irish/EU licence anyway, but as said before the UK services may request that you swap for a UK one.

Regulations changed April 2009-In fact you can now drive until 70 on your irish (eu) licence or 45 if have C1,D1.
    you have to have permanent residence which means a house to get GB licence

Advertisement