Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor signs with Strikeforce

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

This whole situation is retarded! M1 are just destroying Fedor's legacy imo and for what? A cut of the pie of an inferior product to the UFC where Fedor will fight relative unknowns. From what I have read, Dana was even allowing Fedor have M1 logos on his trunks which would have got them a huge amount of publicity given the fact that Brock v. Fedor would have been the biggest drawing mma fight of all time! It would probably lead to a series of fights with Lesnar in fact.

There's no way that Fedor himself could be getting anywhere near as much money out of Strikeforce as he was offered by UFC, which shows to me that these guys in M1 don't really give a sh*t about Fedor or his legacy; all they seem interested in is the money they can make off his name!

I was listening to a youtube interview with Dana last night where he said that he has never actually met Fedor and never even spoke to him over the phone; all in spite of the fact that he has been in detailed negotiations with M1. Seems to me that Fedor has very little control in what direction his career takes. I sure hope he's getting a lot out of being with M1 because he's definately giving up a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Gina is a much bigger draw than him and she's fighting on showtime.

Thats debatable. Fedor is alot more well known now than he used to be and and has the potential to be absolutely huge on cbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Since CBS are reportedly paying half of Fedor's fee per fight, I think its fair to assume they are looking to put him on tv.

From Fedor's point of view, he doesnt see himself as the best HW in the world, merely one of the top HW in the world, so he may not feel like he has a legacy to protect. Dana's larger than life brash personality represents the worst of western personality, from a Russian point of view. (so I am led to believe) Given all the smack talk from Dana over the years, I could see why Fedor wasnt rushing to work for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Goose81 wrote: »
    Im not bagging UFC,They probably saved the sport and brought it to mass audience but surely it will have to go like boxing instead of being run like the WWE.

The fighters are not earning anywhere near as much as they should be and they will soon realise that they would be pocketing alot more if they went the boxing route and just used companies like UFC,M1 and Affliction as promotional companys to stage fights.

UFC is MMA, at least in America (can't remember any other American MMA promotions in America in the 90s that were as well known as them). Zuffa and Dana White saved the UFC I'd say. UFC was in a pretty bad way there in the late 90s early 00s and Zuffa and White dragged it into the mainsream and made it (even more) legit.
    calex71 wrote: »
    I really believe that just because UFC want to spin this however they want the simple fact remains. UFC have a ****e HW division full of folks Fedor has faced before , 3 or 4 that are worthy and would surely make good fights with Fedor but not amongst each other, and Fedor V Randy is laughable would have been great a few years ago but today ????

UFC having a ****e HW division aside , every other promotion also has a ****e HW divison compared to lower weights at the moment for what ever reason!!!!!!!!!! Realistically ( my opinion ) there are only enough quality HW's out there at the moment to fill one promo so at the end of the day take Brock out ofthe the picture and the rest of the inter promo HW's all have the same right to a crack at Fedor so does it matter where he goes ?????? (just thinking out loud here i guess)

I agree with the UFC heavyweight division comment. It's always been a bit lousy I think.

It'd be interesting to hear/read what Fedor has to say about the UFC. Maybe he doesn't wanna fight Lesnar and do the storyline good guy vs bad guy stuff, ye know "I'm a bigger bad ass than you are and I'm gonna beat you then take yo woman!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Goose81

This whole situation is retarded! M1 are just destroying Fedor's legacy imo and for what? A cut of the pie of an inferior product to the UFC where Fedor will fight relative unknowns. From what I have read, Dana was even allowing Fedor have M1 logos on his trunks which would have got them a huge amount of publicity given the fact that Brock v. Fedor would have been the biggest drawing mma fight of all time! It would probably lead to a series of fights with Lesnar in fact.

There's no way that Fedor himself could be getting anywhere near as much money out of Strikeforce as he was offered by UFC, which shows to me that these guys in M1 don't really give a sh*t about Fedor or his legacy; all they seem interested in is the money they can make off his name!

I was listening to a youtube interview with Dana last night where he said that he has never actually met Fedor and never even spoke to him over the phone; all in spite of the fact that he has been in detailed negotiations with M1. Seems to me that Fedor has very little control in what direction his career takes. I sure hope he's getting a lot out of being with M1 because he's definately giving up a lot!

Go and look on the M1 site and look at their fighters,there are 2.

This is a clear an indication as any that Fedor has personal intrests in M1 and he is clearly trying to go the boxing route and promote himself to pocket more and create M1 into a huge brand.

Im sure I heard somewhere that if he fullfills his contract with them he gets a % of the company M1,I would say he already owns a good stake in it under different peoples names most likely.

This is why he wants to co host the show and not sign for UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Has Fedor left himself in a lose-lose situation with the fans by signing with Strikeforce?

What i mean is, lets say Fedor fights the 3 guys Strikeforce have lined up for him, and whoops them all. The fans will say "Ok that was too easy, he wont have proven himself untill he fights in the UFC." So basically he gets nowhere, as this is whats being said now.

However, should the UNTHINKABLE happen and he lose a fight in Strikeforce, his reputation will be destroyed amongst fans who will then not think him good enough for UFC.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Has Fedor left himself in a lose-lose situation with the fans by signing with Strikeforce?

What i mean is, lets say Fedor fights the 3 guys Strikeforce have lined up for him, and whoops them all. The fans will say "Ok that was too easy, he wont have proven himself untill he fights in the UFC." So basically he gets nowhere, as this is whats being said now.

However, should the UNTHINKABLE happen and he lose a fight in Strikeforce, his reputation will be destroyed amongst fans who will then not think him good enough for UFC.

Opinions?

Fedor has nothing to prove. To anyone who has followed MMA outside of the UFC, especially Pride, it would be near impossible to destroy Fedor's reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Would it be fair to say that the UFC needs/wants Fedor more than Fedor needs/wants the UFC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that the UFC needs/wants Fedor more than Fedor needs/wants the UFC ?
    I think this is actually something the ufc wants bad, and is obvious from the very fair contract they offered Fedor, IMO I think Fedor leaves all the business to his management team and doesn't care where he fights, once he gets to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Fedor has nothing to prove. To anyone who has followed MMA outside of the UFC, especially Pride, it would be near impossible to destroy Fedor's reputation.

Yes but still we read of the majority of people who feel he will be "the guy who never stepped up". Some people even think he is scared of the UFC.

I myself dont know what to make of this. I think Fedor is a total beast. I want Fedor vs Brock. Im wondering though if Strikeforce is a good move for Fedor the mixed martial artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Dana isn't happy with him signing for Strikeforce :pac:.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5EN_jqL0oo

Jacare apparently signed up with Strikeforce, and will debut with the same card as Fedor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So anyway guys forget all this should have gone to ufc etc etc, he's in strike force now so the question is who should he fight 1st ??????

They will probably want him to fight at the October event.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Overeem I would say. He's a beast since he became the incredible expanding man.

Strikeforce have stated that wouldnt be fighting for the title until in his first fight, maybe not even his second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

That Strikeforce Press Conference today is such a trainwreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Advertisement