Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A university graduate can't find a job....

• 03-08-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

....so, naturally, she sues her university!

From Yahoo
    Jobless Graduate Sues Her NY University
    An unhappy graduate in New York is suing the university where she studied because she has been unable to find a job since finishing her degree.

Trina Thompson claimed Monroe College in the Bronx had failed to support her after she completed a BBA in Information Technology.

She filed a legal action last week, after four months of fruitless job hunting, the New York post reported.

The 27-year-old is demanding to be repaid her $70,000 (£41,700) tuition fees.

Ms Thompson said the university's careers service had not provided her with the contacts and advice it promised before she began studying.

A spokesman for the university rejected the claim.

Monroe College PR director Gary Axelbank said the lawsuit was completely without merit because the college does assist its graduates in finding employment.

WTF? Is there anything people won't sue over these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Silly bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Wow, a recent graduate can't find a job? That's shocking! Not like there's a global recession or anything.

To be honest, she's one of the smart ones, if she's taken to suing to earn a bit of cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wait, so college != job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

New US Motto : Do nothing, sue everyone.

Note : She did obviously learnt something in college. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

To be honest, she's one of the smart ones, if she's taken to suing to earn a bit of cash!

What are the odds of her actually succeeding though? Surely this lawsuit will set her back a bit, and she won't have much chance of winning unless the judge is an idiot (or the jury, if there is one, are idiots)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Malty_T wrote: »

Note : She did obviously learnt something in college.

I think you might have more of a case than her... :D

What are the odds of her actually succeeding though? Surely this lawsuit will set her back a bit, and she won't have much chance of winning unless the judge is an idiot (or the jury, if there is one, are idiots)

This is true. But in her defense, is it not more exciting to be in court than to be sitting at home, wallowing in self pity, waiting for her social welfare to come through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

What a sap.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

When I saw this thread title I expected every reply to be "join the club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

only four months? Sheesh, what a cry-baby!

• Advertisement

This is true. But in her defense, is it not more exciting to be in court than to be sitting at home, wallowing in self pity, waiting for her social welfare to come through?

Yeah but it's also more expensive. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Here. there'll be 400,000 suing the government.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

$70,000 to get a degree !!!

I think if I had paid that much I'd try my hand at sueing also !

Yeah but it's also more expensive. :pac:

That's Americans for you, no sense of logic!

If I was her, I would have sent in a pilot for a recession-friendly version of 'The Hills'
    Her and her fellow unemployed friends arse around all day and complain about their lives - basically like the real Hills, except that these people actually have things to complain about! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Surely this lawsuit will set her back a bit, and she won't have much chance of winning unless the judge is an idiot (or the jury, if there is one, are idiots)

Idiots in the U.S.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

It's going to be much harder for her to find a job if every company knows she's an idiot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I wonder will she have any luck in finding a job after this, would future employees hire her after seeing this?

Will they take a chance that she won't decide to sue them for some silly reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well she could have a case if the course states that for $70,000 she will be provided with post-graduate support. If she isn't receiving the support (that was a unique selling point of the course) then they're in breach of their contract with her.

"Post graduate support" is quite vague though. If she wants a job then it's her responsibility to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Screaming Eagle

"Post graduate support" is quite vague though. If she wants a job then it's her responsibility to find one.

The Devil is in the detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Might not be vague on the details for course enrollment. Its her responsibility to find a job but isn't she being responsible by paying someone for a service to help her?

If i paid for a service and only received some of it, I'd want my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Gona get you UCC.

Yeah, if I can't find a job 4 months after I graduate UCC can expect to hear from my solicitor too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Facepalm... What a complete muppet, that and no one is going to hire her after she has publicly taken her College to court.
    Prospective Employer: So what real world experience do you have since graduating.
    Silly Girl: Well I sued my College for fees after i couldidnt get work.
    Prospective Employer: We thanks we'l call you dont call us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I don't know guys - I think that theres case to be answered.. If she can prove breach of condition of contract. i.e. that when applying to the Uni - IF there was a condition that the Uni would do all in its power to assist in job hunting etc.. and they failed to meet their end of the obligation, she could win and there could well be precedent set here.. :rolleyes: only in America

Advertisement