Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year study over summer?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going into 6th year in september, havn't open a book all summer. I figure the year will be long enough without it, now I'm starting to wonder though. Are any 5th years working over summer and if so how much? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Nope i planned to keep putting it off. I probably should but don't particularly want to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

You should RELAX COMPLETELY FOR THE SUMMER!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Relax during the summer, such as it is.
    Listen in class and keep up with your homework in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not really much need tbh, unless you feel you're lagging behind in a particular subject or topic. I wish I had of done a bit of study during the summer but well it's too late now, results in 9 days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

if you don't take it easy over the summer then you'll regret it all year. but you have to hit the books when the year starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

If your serious about doing well next year, relax now. I re-read my texts last summer, but it hardly did a thing. You need to make the most of your chill time now.
    Take it from all of us that have done the exams, enjoy your freedom now!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Just enjoy your summer!

Believe you me, you'll value the lazy days you had this summer when you go into 6th year... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Duffman11

Hi, I'm going into 6th year in september, havn't open a book all summer. I figure the year will be long enough without it, now I'm starting to wonder though. Are any 5th years working over summer and if so how much? Thanks.

I suppose if you have nothing better to do then doing a bit of study shouldnt do any harm. however you have nine long months ahead of you when the summer is over to study till the cows come home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Just relax and enjoy the summer.

Most people don't start 'studying' until after Christmas. Just keep up with homework and clarify anything you don't understand with a teacher. Forget about the exams until after Christmas is my advice and just keep up in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't over work yourself. You'll regret over working yourself before school starts. You'll have enough work to do next year so use the time you have off to relax before you really get stuck into the serious business because trust me you won't have all that much time to relax next year.

Best of luck in the upcoming year and put school to the back of your mind and just relax and enjoy your remaining few weeks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

K4t wrote: »
    Just relax and enjoy the summer.

Most people don't start 'studying' until after Christmas. Just keep up with homework and clarify anything you don't understand with a teacher. Forget about the exams until after Christmas is my advice and just keep up in class.

I don't know if this is the best advice to be giving really. If it worked for you fair enough but it won't necessarily work for everyone.
    I think you really need to study from the word go to prepare for the mocks.

The way I did it was that I thought of the year as two parts.

Part one would be everything until the mocks. Study as best as you can for the mocks so you can give yourself a decent indication as to where you stand. Put the actual leaving cert to one side and focus on the mocks.
    If you're fortunate enough to have your mocks completed by the mid term in February then take that entire week off for yourself to relax and regroup for the second part of the year.

Part two is focusing on the real deal. Assess your results from your mocks and work on what you really need to work on instead of revising things you feel comfortable with. Prioritize your weakest areas of each subject and then revise things you're stronger at to keep them fresh in the back of your mind.

It's a tough run in after the mid term so just do your best and remain focused.
    I'm not saying to study all of the time but make sure there's a reasonable balance between social and study time.

Also remember when sitting the mocks that not all of your subjects will have the course completed by the time they come around so don't get thrown off by some questions you may get in some exams.

It's a demanding enough year but it's very doable so keep on top of things and don't leave everything to the last minute because it doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Thanks for all the great advice guys, looks like I'll be leaving the books till September so, thanks again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

DONT BE INSANE!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you don't take a break from study, you will fry your brain by the time the exams come around. Won't be worth a cent to you. Enjoy the summer, go back to school refreshed and ready to do work and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I had planned on doing some Maths every few days at the start of the summer, but...meh...plenty of time from Sept-June...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i just did the leaving cert but im repeating it and trust me, theres more than enough time from sep-june to study,

its very important to relax now, because believe it or not ya really can over-study and as mentioned before, your brain can fry before the exams

id definatly recommend studying at the start of the year rather than waiting until xmas to do it (what i done and i regret it).
    But just remember to study wisely. to say your gonna sit down for 5 hours a night 5/6 nights a week is ridiculous. just stay on top of your hw and stay on top of everything you do that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Dont waste your time studying during summer. In fact unless you're completely inept at everything you can leave it till after christmas and still do very well. Im a bit of a waster myself and therefore only really started putting my head to the books just after the mocks in February and i still pulled 480. Relax enjoy yourself, know the exam strucures and layouts and happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

Sorry but I think it wud be completely crazy to study during the summer!! Regardless of whether you have nothing to do or not.... seriously.....

6th year is long enough... believe me... you might as well be well rested going in

Relax nd get right into it when you return to school... You will be serioulsly fed up of school and study by may so you would nearly do more harm than good wrecking your head this early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS!!!!!!! you will have enuf to do in september on and enjoy your summer while ya can!!! i just finished my lc and was thinkin likr you last summer.... but im so glad i didnt actually open a book!!! however... start to do a small bit of study to ease urself into it in september bu do not open a book till ur back to school!!

best of luck over the next year and through your exams!! dont allow your self to get stressed and dont cut ur self off from the world!! i.e. play sport go ou wit friends etc etc! what im sayin is dont lock ur self away and only and only study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

The advice is clear!!!....dont be a nob and study before september!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

If you do LCVP make sure you have it all up to date otherwise you'll be bogged down next year!

Advertisement