Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A friend for my bird

Options
  • 03-08-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

I've had a budgie for about 7 years now and I feel sorry for him all alone in his cage. I was wondering if I was to buy another bird and put itin his cage would they fight or just get along? Anyone done anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We used to have 3 budgies all in one cage. It can be done, but unless you want babies, go with same sex.
    All of ours were boys, and they really got on great. They never fought vicously, just a little nick or pluck of feathers now and then. Our first was about 2 when we added the second boy who was 6 months and they were about 1 and 3 when we added the 3rd who was about 6 months too.
    The other thing is that a budgie of 7 years, is very old. I don't know how it would cope with a younger energetic bird, or of it would be long before the young one would be on it's own. Sorry I know it's not nice to think about, but it should be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I think my bird is quite healthy I've seen scrawny little budgies that you wonder how there alive but I duno not something I like to think about but yeah thats what I was thinking I probably should have thought of this a few years back I feel sorry for him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have to disagree, budgies are highly social and your wee budgie should be delighted with a buddy. If your guys a male another male should be fine or a female. Perhaps try rescues or websites/ads of people looking to rehome a budgie that way you might get a slightly older bird that may otherwise find it difficult to get a home. They won't normally breed unless you added a nest box (not recommended).

7 years is on the older side but it's certainly not ancient, the average budgie usually lives around 10 years but some longer. I rehomed (after much debate) our last remaining budgie she was 8 (still very sprightly) and a bit and she is now living very happily with her toy boy. A young male budgie, usually it takes a couple of days for them to get used to each other but this was love at first sight and they were both so greatful for the company.

Just do introductions slowly and keep the new bird in a seperate cage for a short while to see how they react to each other and ensure the cage you have is large enough, what's the measurements of the cage roughly? Also do you allow free flight? Birds generally like to be able to see what's going on so it's important to allow the budgies to see each other and size up each other first.

If you do get one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Have to disagree, budgies are highly social and your wee budgie should be delighted with a buddy. If your guys a male another male should be fine or a female. Perhaps try rescues or websites/ads of people looking to rehome a budgie that way you might get a slightly older bird that may otherwise find it difficult to get a home. They won't normally breed unless you added a nest box (not recommended).

7 years is on the older side but it's certainly not ancient, the average budgie usually lives around 10 years but some longer. I rehomed (after much debate) our last remaining budgie she was 8 (still very sprightly) and a bit and she is now living very happily with her toy boy. A young male budgie, usually it takes a couple of days for them to get used to each other but this was love at first sight and they were both so greatful for the company.

Just do introductions slowly and keep the new bird in a seperate cage for a short while to see how they react to each other and ensure the cage you have is large enough, what's the measurements of the cage roughly? Also do you allow free flight? Birds generally like to be able to see what's going on so it's important to allow the budgies to see each other and size up each other first.

If you do get one

Thanks so much for that yeah I would leave him out of the cage just my dog is usually in the room and when she see's him flying she tries to catch him obviously I put the dog out of the room. I think it's a great idea to get an older budgie I'll check that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 harrins

I think your little budgie would be delighted with a friend. Couple of caveats though! Before you bring your new bird into the same room as your budgie you will need to quarantine him, keeping him in a separate room for at least 30 days to ensure he isnt sick. And wash your hands after you handle him or his cage. It would be terrible if your budgie caught something from the new bird and both of them died!

The companion for your budgie doesnt have to be another budgie. I have a little rescue budgie who was lonely. I use her as a foster mother for my cockatiel babies. She preens them and cuddles them and has a new mission in life! One budgie and one cockatiel can get on very well. More than one budgie with one cockatiel spells trouble for the tiel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Although budgies and tiels can get on I would stick to a budgie as company for the other budgie. Our tiel lost an eye due to a budgie and I would never house budgies and tiels together again, they were all getting on really well too but esp. with hen budgies they can turn pretty nasty on other tiels and other budgies too even with loads of space.

But think op your budgies a male? So another male or a hen should be grand.

Advertisement