Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloody clampers

Options
  • 03-08-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just got clamped in middle st. Six o cloxk on a bank holiday monday evening!!!???

ONE HUNDRED EURO RELEASE FEE?!?!?!?!

In an attempt to refrain from vulgarity, clampers are the biggest pack of poo faces I've ever come across!! How can something so deeply unpopular still be happening in this so called democracy!!! Its enough to make you want to buy an angle grinder (it'd be cheaper than a clamp release fee!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Were you parked in an illegal zone, or in an illegal manner?

If so, there's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Clampers are annoying, but being careful where you park i.e. 'legally' tends to make them redundant.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I thought the clampers were gone? Are they back?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

There must be more to this. Were you parked on double yellows or something like that?

If you were parked in a pay and display area or in a loading area then I don't think you should be clamped on a bank holiday monday.
    Have a look here
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PayandDisplay/
    Bank holidays are treated as sundays.

If you were clamped on double yellow lines or blocking a gate then then may have had the right to clamp.

If you think that you were clamped incorrectly take photos etc and appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

note to self: leave enough in car buying budget for angle grinder

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

moonflower wrote: »
    I thought the clampers were gone? Are they back?

:eek: Phuck :eek: So did I ...bar the docks clampers who never went away ( it is private property the docks )

I lived down there once and used to superglue the clamps so I could watch the clamper angle grinding his own clamp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

From what I have seen there are about 3/4 different clamping companies in Galway, I pulled a clamp off a car before in the GMIT, It was put on by APOCA and it had GCC markings, I had issue with them using GCC (Galway City/County Council) clamps on a private contract, I heard nothing back from it and that was near 6 months ago.

There are 2 other private companies I know of and they seem to charge what they like.This possibly needs to be a stickied thread on the Galway Clamping companies outlining the charges, area of operation and contact details (Name & address) Mods I do not see any problem with this as they most likely would have to give these details to the council to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got clamped myself on Forster Court by Apcoa a while back. 80 Euro gone.
    I chanced it and got caught, end of story. Won't chance it (there) again, so it works I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

Be careful at Dunnes Briar Hill, there was loads of cars clamped in there over the last week,

Superhoops wrote: »
    Be careful at Dunnes Briar Hill, there was loads of cars clamped in there over the last week,
    Saw that alright, then again a few of the horsey crowd being smart parking in dunnes for the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

11 cars clamped down by me in the docks on Sunday morning! And that was only a quick count from where i was standing!!! They must love race week and all the tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The clampers in the city centre only clamp when instructed by wardens or gardai, not of their own volition. IIRC, they only have one company who clamp for them. You really have to be trying hard to get clamped in the city centre these days.

The Docks, as stated above, is private property, with a private clamper. Parts of Forster Court are the same way, as are the colleges and shopping complexes.

OP; if you got clamped on Middle Street today, you must have been a very bold boy. Where exactly were you parked when you got clamped?

As for the clamping on the docks, that place is a right PITA; you can't use the machines on one side of the road to buy a ticket to park on the other side of the road, and it's 24 hour tickets 365 days a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Another place to watch out for is down by the market, opposite Ryans homestore and up as far as Mexx on a Saturday. Even if you have a ticket on you will be towed because of the market. There's the tiniest of tiny signs about it, and unless you move your car before 7am you will get stung to the tune of €150, and the recovery company are complete a-holes to deal with. It happened a colleague of mine a few months back and he had to wait until it suited the towing guy to go back to the lock up to release his car; oh, and because it was a Saturday he had to pay cash as they don't offer card facilities at the weekends:rolleyes:.

I don't understand how these people have municipal contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I remember being in Dublin years ago on a bank holiday Monday and noticed a whole line of 20 cars being clamped by some muppet clamper. Since it was bank holiday Monday they were entitled to park for free. Needless to say, when I went back past there again a few hours later all the clamps and most of the same cars where there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I lived down there once and used to superglue the clamps so I could watch the clamper angle grinding his own clamp :D

This :D good on you, hope you haven't stopped doing it either :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Another place to watch out for is down by the market, opposite Ryans homestore and up as far as Mexx on a Saturday. Even if you have a ticket on you will be towed because of the market. There's the tiniest of tiny signs about it, and unless you move your car before 7am you will get stung to the tune of €150, and the recovery company are complete a-holes to deal with..

Does this apply in Wood Quay and in the Small Crane where there are markets * legally * as well ???

( tip for sorting clamp, aim for the barrel of the padlock itself :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Does this apply in Wood Quay and in the Small Crane where there are markets * legally * as well ???

( tip for sorting clamp, aim for the barrel of the padlock itself :p )

I honestly have no idea. I've never seen stalls in Woodquay or the Crane tho so I'd say it would be safe enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I also notice that the lads with taxi signs on their cars can park down along the double yellow lines by the bus station and up forster street with so much as a ticket let alone a clamp. :rolleyes:

kodute wrote: »
    I also notice that the lads with taxi signs on their cars can park down along the double yellow lines by the bus station and up forster street with so much as a ticket let alone a clamp. :rolleyes:

Dont get me started on that, them feckers do whatever they want....

on another note, anyone noticed how a good few of the cars in Mill Street Car Park dont display tickets, they seem to have Garda Credit Union books in the windows.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yddil wrote: »
    Just got clamped in middle st. Six o cloxk on a bank holiday monday evening!!!???

ONE HUNDRED EURO RELEASE FEE?!?!?!?!

In an attempt to refrain from vulgarity, clampers are the biggest pack of poo faces I've ever come across!! How can something so deeply unpopular still be happening in this so called democracy!!! Its enough to make you want to buy an angle grinder (it'd be cheaper than a clamp release fee!!!)

I once saw two skangers clamp a clampers van on Abbey Street in Dublin. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

well at least there not as bad as them english bunch of twats control plus them god save the queen types clamped just for the sake of it well they tought they were allowed do what they wanted in dublin how wrong they were they were last seen makeing for the irish sea with a pile of clamps in toe now lets get back to being clamped in the first place i know from experence that if you park right no clamp will follow so we all do it even me i have been clamped 28 times in 2 years mostly for over staying in a loading bay i have all the fines to prove it so please all who moan about getting clamped dont park wrong in the first place lets say there is someone blocking a road where the fire brigade need to get up is it so wrong to clamp the fool who left the car there in the first place think before you park of bark

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gary82 wrote: »
    11 cars clamped down by me in the docks on Sunday morning! A

My first thought on reading that is that you're a proud clamper! But am guessing you meant "beside me". :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh? Tell us more about these laws ...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

well at least there not as bad as them english bunch of twats control plus ... place think before you park of bark

Not a single bit of punctuation makes your post incredibly hard to read.

So is an angle grinder the best way to remove them or would a drill and a steel cutting drill bit cut through the lock? Hypothetically speaking of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

well at least there not as bad as them english bunch of twats control plus them god save the queen types clamped just for the sake of it well they tought they were allowed do what they wanted in dublin how wrong they were they were last seen makeing for the irish sea with a pile of clamps in toe now lets get back to being clamped in the first place i know from experence that if you park right no clamp will follow so we all do it even me i have been clamped 28 times in 2 years mostly for over staying in a loading bay i have all the fines to prove it so please all who moan about getting clamped dont park wrong in the first place lets say there is someone blocking a road where the fire brigade need to get up is it so wrong to clamp the fool who left the car there in the first place think before you park of bark

I see your punctuality is almost as good as your punctuation :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 geeniebops

There are private clamping companies all over Galway city. Apcoa clamp in Forster Place, Galway Clamping Co in Aras Guaire & as far as I know in Clos Ard also among others. You;d have to be a w***er to do that job

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but a lot of people don't read long paragraphs like this, written with no full stops or capital letters. It is simply too difficult trying to figure out where the beginning and end of each sentence is and what the whole thing means. I'm not trying to insult you, by the way. Just a friendly word of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Sponge Bob hard at it, removing the clamp?:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My neighbour is a clamper for Galway City Clampers and he's a right 'ol prick, not because he works for them, he's just always been one :D
    I've seen him parked illgeally a few times, wonder could i get another company to clamp him? Would love to see it just for the irony!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

well at least there not as bad as them english bunch o... fool who left the car there in the first place think before you park of bark

I can't read this...!

Advertisement