Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adoption advice

Options
  • 03-08-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

apologies first if this is in the wrong forum, am sure it will be moved sharpish.
    i live in Ireland, originally from Scotland and i want to look into adopting my niece. Her Mam (my sister) died in 2000 when my niece was about to turn 3, since then my mam has cared for her. as well as this, my mam cares also for my father who requires full time care. the older my niece gets, the wilder she is getting and i really fear for her. my mam seems less able to look after her as the weeks go on and i think that i have a life here that could benefit her greatly. i'm in a relationship with a great girl, she has a son and it's a stable and comfortable environment. i want to adopt my niece and welcome her into this family set up, which will enable her to have more opportunities that currently lie in front of her at home. she's a good girl and just needs reeled in, i feel i owe it to my sister to do everything i can to ensure she has the best of lives.

i dont know where to start and how i should go about it. any advice will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Fair play to ya, I'm afraid I know nothing about adoption, can I just ask you though how does your mum feel about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Fair play to ya, I'm afraid I know nothing about adoption, can I just ask you though how does your mum feel about it?
    my Mam is coming round to the idea. i said it to her a couple of month ago and she was having none of it, but as time goes on there's more of an almost acceptance that it might just be for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

im not sure how that works but if u ring the adoption board im sure they will be able to guide u in the right direction ...good luck..kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭martinf

Can I ask if the birthfather is on the scene as he may have an impact on whether adoption is a possibility. Given that you are related to the girl that should help but as Kathy said a call to the Adoption Board might be the best first step. There's also the fact that as she's around 12 years old her views will probably be taken into consideration. If you don't get on with her it might be difficult to convince the Adoption Board that adoption would be in her best interest.

Best wishes

Martin

Advertisement