Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man on Wire

• 03-08-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭

I watched this last night on BBC; simply the most breathtaking and inspirational documentary I have ever seen. Anyone see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIawNRm9NWM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah it was excellent. Really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fantastic stuff alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Brilliant stuff, I've wasted my life! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah it was excellent. Really enjoyed it.

Indeed, and the highlight/lowlight was how those complete ignorant and classless cops could see nothing fantastic about it. They hadn't an ounce of appreciation for what had transpired. Mugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great film and really deserved it's Oscar earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

walshb wrote: »
    Indeed, and the highlight/lowlight was how those complete ignorant and classless cops could see nothing fantastic about it. They hadn't an ounce of appreciation for what had transpired. Mugs!
    I found it strange alright. Especially when they decided to threaten him with helicopter - You don't panic a guy thats on a wire like that between the two trade centers! Not that it effected him anyways.

Well, I have just purchased it; well worth the few Euro

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/6660430/Man-On-Wire/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The best part was when the guy in charge of setting up the rope was talking about the first time he met Petit and they the first time they went to the top of the building

"I was smoking marijuana every day for 35 years, I have no reason to think I wasn't smoking that day"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, best part for him was the ride he got after the feat.
    Amazing film.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yup it was class alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It was an immensely enjoyable documentary alright. Although I always felt that there was something unsaid about why Petit and his friend fell out. I mean the guy started crying at the end...... but it felt like we were only getting a small part of the story of the disintegration of their relationship.

Also (just to be a killjoy) - Film Forum?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was an immensely enjoyable documentary alright. Although I always felt that there was something unsaid about why Petit and his friend fell out. I mean the guy started crying at the end...... but it felt like we were only getting a small part of the story of the disintegration of their relationship.

Also (just to be a killjoy) - Film Forum?

Film Forum? Nah, this was more than just a film!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

One of my favourite documentaries.

If you want to see a seriously good documentary, watch ''Dear Zachary, A Letter to a Son about his Father''. Do yourself a favour and just watch it, don't read anything about it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is there a circus forum?

One of my favourite documentaries.

If you want to see a seriously good documentary, watch ''Dear Zachary, A Letter to a Son about his Father''. Do yourself a favour and just watch it, don't read anything about it first.

Will do, you better not be bull****ting me:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Will do, you better not be bull****ting me:)
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I like that "Reeling in the Years"

Anyone else like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness to the cops, the one who was interviewed was impressed by it, but you do have to take into account that if the guy fell he die, possibly kill someone if he fell on them, his spattered corpse would have to be cleaned up, his associates could be arrested, the tower guards would lose their jobs (and probably did for not realising it was all going on), the towers and the cops would get a sh*t load of bad press and then there's the whole emotional damage of seeing someone plunge to their death. All this because a guy wanted to do something dangerous, just because he could.

Why should a cop have to put up with that sort of crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness to the cops, the one who was interviewed was impressed by it, but you do have to take into account that if the guy fell he die, possibly kill someone if he fell on them, his spattered corpse would have to be cleaned up, his associates could be arrested, the tower guards would lose their jobs (and probably did for not realising it was all going on), the towers and the cops would get a sh*t load of bad press and then there's the whole emotional damage of seeing someone plunge to their death. All this because a guy wanted to do something dangerous, just because he could.

They didn't have to, it all ended well.:)

humanji wrote: »

C'mon, none of this happened and what the man did, although a crime, could not be simply dismissed in the manner that those ignoramus cops dismissed it.
    They had ZERO appreciation for the magnitude and genius of the event. This guy wasn't a rapist or killer. Hey, by all means, do their job, but to treat the guy the way they did after what had transpired was simply disgraceful and showed them up as complete dicks. I honestly cannot imagine the Irish cops behaving so ridiculously.

• Advertisement

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I like that "Reeling in the Years"

Anyone else like that?

Yeah - it's pretty good. This is better though:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It was fantastic.

Can't believe it's on telly already, I only saw it in the cinema like....last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Only saw some of it - great documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

galwayrush wrote: »
    They didn't have to, it all ended well.:)

But they might of. He was risking a lot, just for the thrill of it.

C'mon, none of this happened and what the man did, although a crime, could not be simply dismissed in the manner that those ignoramus cops dismissed it.
    They had ZERO appreciation for the magnitude and genius of the event. This guy wasn't a rapist or killer. Hey, by all means, do their job, but to treat the guy the way they did after what had transpired was simply disgraceful and showed them up as complete dicks. I honestly cannot imagine the Irish cops behaving so ridiculously.

As I said, the only cop who was interviewed was impressed by it. But Petite had still broken the law, so they still had to arrest him. They acted the only way they could.

And Irish cops wouldn't of done a thing because they couldn't be arsed going to the top of the tower. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Damn damn damn! I knew there was something I was meant to watch! Anyone know if it's being repeated soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Great stuff.
    Makes these guys look like pussies in comparison. :)

Crazy French people. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jiltloop wrote: »
    Damn damn damn! I knew there was something I was meant to watch! Anyone know if it's being repeated soon?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m0mbt/Man_on_Wire/

All you need is a proxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have an illegally acquired copy, never felt compelled to watch it though. I reckon I'll give it a geez tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Yeah the missus was watching it so i was stuck with it. Looked like a load of rubbish to me. Childish thing to do anyway's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I watched this last night on BBC; simply the most breathtaking and inspirational documentary I have ever seen. Anyone see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIawNRm9NWM
    I watched Miss Congeniality 2 on TV3 instead.

The planning and amount of preparation and passion put in was the real
    brilliance of the whole stunt. The actual walk, though amazing, was simply
    the final part of the amazing plan

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Yeah the missus was watching it so i was stuck with it. Looked like a load of rubbish to me. Childish thing to do anyway's.

I can't see how any part of the plot and event could be childish. Highly skillful and courageous and intelligent.

I watched Miss Congeniality 2 on TV3 instead.

Wow! You have some guts to admit that in public.

Kudos to you Emeraldstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

I can't see how any part of the plot and event could be childish. Highly skillful and courageous and intelligent.

Great and all as the documentary was i wouldnt classify walking on a wire between the twin towers as intelligent:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

brilliant documentary

but, its just a pity they didn't film it...the actual tightrope walk that is

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Great and all as the documentary was i wouldnt classify walking on a wire between the twin towers as intelligent:eek:

No, that is pretty "dumb." but this guy is simply born with this passion and dare devil streak, like many people. The intelligence was the whole operation, the deception and the palnning. The "walk" was pure courage and courage from the passion the guy has for the act. All this was wasted and undervalued by the bully boy antics of those in authority. This guy wasn't Jack the Ripper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The guy was obviously fuccking mental, but the documentary was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Great documentary and fully deserved the oscar, I have it on dvd somewhere, gonna root it out and watch it tonight

brummytom wrote: »
    The guy was obviously fuccking mental, but the documentary was great.

How?

I would say he was far from mental; just seriously passionate about wire walking and pulling off the impossible. That doesn't make him mental, or drunk, as those nob psychiatrists were asking if he was?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and he got seriously laid, lucky devil ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Wow! You have some guts to admit that in public.

Kudos to you Emeraldstar.
    Aye, I may have bad taste in movies but at least I am a truly gutsy lass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

best thing i've seen in ages.
    and it was the guys enthusiasm telling the story which partly went to making it so entertaining.
    quelle joie de vivre.
    obviously nuts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Found it quite boring between the tightrope walks tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Wonderful watch. He was some c*nt though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Expresso Bongo

Pffft. So he walked across the twin towers on a tightrope once upon a time? I'd like to seem him do it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great documentary. Pity he's French! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Yes, have it on Blu-Ray.
    PQ is fantastic.
    Great Documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

beans wrote: »
    Wonderful watch. He was some c*nt though...

I agree with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I remember speaking with an elderly man last September and he was saying he was the actual security guard at the top who yer man managed to get by.

• Advertisement
Advertisement