Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Board Snip Canvassing

Options
  • 03-08-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would anyone out there be willing to sort of canvass on the McCarthy report. What i'm suggesting is, would anyone be ready to discuss the An Board Snip report with the public and help to inform them on it, in its entirety while discussing any points raised about it. I heard John MacGuiness talking about the local government TDs going to the public and explain the report and the reason why we need to do the cuts proposed so that people would understand, but we know none of the government TDs will do that. So I'm just wondering if forming some sort of citizen initiative would be the best way to go about it? I don't like the current government much, but I do not want to see Ireland going bankrupt because of thousands of protests that will scare the government, which can be prevented by explaining the report.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'll do it for € 3K a day's wages, although i know feck all about it. I'll want an enormously inflated pension as well.
    That's how things work in this country? Screw the tax payers and reward the incompetent.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'll do it for € 3K a day's wages, although i know feck all about it. I'll want an enormously inflated pension as well.
    That's how things work in this country? Screw the tax payers and reward the incompetent.:(

yes i know its very sad. as i said i am not for saving the current government's ass here, i couldn't care less about them, but i do want the mccarthy report implemented and any other that will come and will deal with similiar issues, simply to avoid ireland going bankrupt and so that example as the one you've given would not be repeated in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Well you could go to the social welfare lines and tell the people there they'll have to live on less money.

Then you go to all the hospitals and tell everyone there that they might not be able to get their treatment next year because that's getting cut.

Then you can go to all the schools and tell the children in large classrooms being taught in tin sheds (prefabs) that they're going to have to tough it out for another few years because the fundings gettin cut and ye know gotta tighten up the belts and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mario007 wrote: »
    would anyone be ready to discuss the An Board Snip report with the public and help to inform them on it, in its entirety while discussing any points raised about it. I heard John MacGuiness talking about the local government TDs going to the public and explain the report and the reason why we need to do the cuts proposed so that people would understand, but we know none of the government TDs will do that.

They're the f**kers who landed us in this mess, and they're the f**kers who are being paid to "lead" and to "legislate" and to "make decisions" and to "discuss things with the public".

So they can - for once - do what they're paid to do.

They were happy enough to call around for a photo-op when it was good news, so they can bloody well stand over this one and be seen to do their job.

So no - I'm not going to volunteer to waste my time doing what the Government are vastly overpaid paid to do, even if they're not "willing" or "competent".

But if you want to form a group that CALLS for THEM to stand up and be counted for once, and do their f**king jobs, count me in for THAT.

P.S. They should be MADE do this, without any EXTRA pay, too.

FFS, the situation was supposedly "so drastic" that they hit US with TWO budgets, and then farmed this off to a committee for a report, and fecked off for the summer without implementing that.....easy see where the "drastic" and "urgency" ends up when it's tough decisions that don't involve walloping the easy Joe Soap target......

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Well you could go to the social welfare lines and tell the people there they'll have to live on less money.

Then you go to all the hospitals and tell everyone there that they might not be able to get their treatment next year because that's getting cut.

Then you can go to all the schools and tell the children in large classrooms being taught in tin sheds (prefabs) that they're going to have to tough it out for another few years because the fundings gettin cut and ye know gotta tighten up the belts and all that.

so you accept that we can't and won't cut anything and will continue to live on borrowings forever? because that is not possible and should the IMF jump, the cuts will be much more drastic and much more radical and an board snip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

See the problem is Mario, the idea of a 'tough' decision according to the government is taking away the special needs teachers.

If the McCarthy Report focused on public sector salaries, and I just do not mean the front line of teachers, nurses and police officers, but this exempts all the TD's and the managerial level civil servants and they need to be looked at.

All their salaries and pensions need to be looked as do the unvouched expenses.

John O'Donoghue should go up as a sacrifical lamb and we should be screaming as they did in England.

The last areas they should look at effecting is front line services, particularly eduaction and health.

Also while they are implementing the cuts, they should be putting forward plans for a proper financial authority with real regulations so that the Republic of Ireland is not exposed to this ever again.

So until TD's are willing to take involuntary salary cuts, vouch their expenses and actually mind thier money peroperly in the budget (budgets are not actually the target to spend) instead of aiming at children and the unwell, the rest of us may be willing to take some more pain.

How far do we have to cut back for a population of 4.2 million to cut back to pay back over €60 billion and counting? This figure is the NAMA figure it does not count the daily borrowing nor the cash injection the banks already have. The figures are astronomical. Nor does it count the abuse compensation which is still to come.

Fianna Fail's vote buying has come back to haunt them.

Why exactly should we help them sell this, are you not angry about how badly they have run this country?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    They're the f**kers who landed us in this mess, and they're the f**kers who are being paid to "lead" and to "legislate" and to "make decisions" and to "discuss things with the public".

So they can - for once - do what they're paid to do.

They were happy enough to call around for a photo-op when it was good news, so they can bloody well stand over this one and be seen to do their job.

So no - I'm not going to volunteer to waste my time doing what the Government are vastly overpaid paid to do, even if they're not "willing" or "competent".

But if you want to form a group that CALLS for THEM to stand up and be counted for once, and do their f**king jobs, count me in for THAT.

P.S. They should be MADE do this, without any EXTRA pay, too.

FFS, the situation was supposedly "so drastic" that they hit US with TWO budgets, and then farmed this off to a committee for a report, and fecked off for the summer without implementing that.....easy see where the "drastic" and "urgency" ends up when it's tough decisions that don't involve walloping the easy Joe Soap target......

i agree! the TDs or even the local councillors should get out there and tell us how bad off we are...what needs to be done, why it needs to be done and how can we do this. it is pretty much their job description so they should do it!

i'll try to see if anyone wants to join this canvassing group, and if not i will certainly move onto to your proposal to get the TDs to do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mario007 wrote: »
    it is pretty much their job description so they should do it!

i'll try to see if anyone wants to join this canvassing group, and if not i will certainly move onto to your proposal to get the TDs to do it...

Then why bother with the first option (i.e. us unpaid plebs doing THEIR job, while they swan off spending THOUSANDS of our money) ?

Just go DIRECTLY to the proper plan; getting the assholes to do their jobs, for once!

See the problem is Mario, the idea of a 'tough' decision according to the government is taking away the special needs teachers.

If the McCarthy Report focused on public sector salaries, and I just do not mean the front line of teachers, nurses and police officers, but this exempts all the TD's and the managerial level civil servants and they need to be looked at.

All their salaries and pensions need to be looked as do the unvouched expenses.

John O'Donoghue should go up as a sacrifical lamb and we should be screaming as they did in England.

The last areas they should look at effecting is front line services, particularly eduaction and health.

Also while they are implementing the cuts, they should be putting forward plans for a proper financial authority with real regulations so that the Republic of Ireland is not exposed to this ever again.

So until TD's are willing to take involuntary salary cuts, vouch their expenses and actually mind thier money peroperly in the budget (budgets are not actually the target to spend) instead of aiming at children and the unwell, the rest of us may be willing to take some more pain.

How far do we have to cut back for a population of 4.2 million to cut back to pay back over €60 billion and counting? This figure is the NAMA figure it does not count the daily borrowing nor the cash injection the banks already have. The figures are astronomical. Nor does it count the abuse compensation which is still to come.

Fianna Fail's vote buying has come back to haunt them.

Why exactly should we help them sell this, are you not angry about how badly they have run this country?

I am! Indeed I am not defending the current government. I am defending the report. To be honest any government that would be formed would have have to take these decissions and thats why I am defending them. This is precisly because of the vote buyign that FF has done over the years. However here we have to remember that not only is FF to blame here but people also for falling for it.

The figure for NAMA and bank injections are not counted into the daily borrowings, so I dont want to talk about those.

The reality is we need to cut back and/or raise 22bn(or 16bn we want to get rid off the structural deficit)! Even if the McCarthy report is implemented we're still going to need a huge amount to borrow. however the report pretty much also shows how spoiled did we become and how we expect the state to take care of everything.

With regards to the public sector salaries the report could not touch the public sector salaries, as I understand it, so that is why these additional cuts had to come into place. McCarthy has said himself that a reverse benchmarking exercise would generate around 2-4bn savings, which is good needs to be honest as this could bring us closer still to bridging the gap.

the TDs high salaries are a disgrace, however we must remember that even if all 160 reduce their salaries by 50% it wont really help the exchequer, nonetheless it should happen, i think. there is a process of reverse benchmarking starting in september where the senior civil servants and public servants will see their pay reduced, so i suppose thats a little consolidation.

see, these facts are those that need to be spread to the public, so we can pull through this. i dont want to see the IMF coming in because we all know what would then happen...

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Then why bother with the first option (i.e. us unpaid plebs doing THEIR job, while they swan off spending THOUSANDS of our money) ?

Just go DIRECTLY to the proper plan; getting the assholes to do their jobs, for once!

because i am skeptical about the second option working, knowing how our politicians behave...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Alan Rouge wrote: »

the dole being cut is resonable as the cost of living is falling

thier not need be cancelation of services in hospitals if nurses , doctors and especially consultants take pay cuts which would bring them closer in line with thier counterparts in other european countries which are incidently richer countries than ireland

the same goes for cutting special needs teachers or increasing class sizes , teachers in ireland earn 75% more than in france and nearly 30% more than in england , take a pay cut and no kids need suffer

i would tell this to the people on door steps

Advertisement