Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap guitarist looking to form trad band

Options
  • 03-08-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hey, I'm 19 (pushing 20) & I'm looking to form an Irish trad band. To be honest, I've been meaning to do this before, but everyone I know(who can play some kind of instrument) just gave me a funny look...(anything that isn't rock/RNB isn't good music to them.

I've been playing guitar for around 3 years (no hendrix, just more of a rhythm guitarist) but I'm an absolute Idgit when it comes to music theory!:o

I've only recently gotten into the whole trad thing, so right now I'm only listening to Kila, Christy moore, planxty all that lot...Yeah, I know, I'm no expert!!!

Anyway, as I said, I play guitar, but would LOVE to take up the bodhrán (can't right now, moneywise) & maybe take up the mandolin one day...

Well, I guess that's all I can really say for now. If anyone is actually bothered for this, just let me know.

Btw, this isn't a serious thing, just 1 or 2 "sessions" for the craic & then I guess we'll just see what happens.

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Learn a melody instrument,make an effort to understand the music, listen to everything you can get your hands on, make friends through music, and opportunites for a band will appear.

Music theory isn't necessary, use your ears! Again listen to as much as you can and try soak up the music. Much easier to learn tunes if they're already in your head.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have. Good luck!

Advertisement