Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing 115g/sm Satin Paper for my thesis?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently preparing my graphic layout for my ollege thesis and have been looking at different types of paper to see what suits.

My favourite was used in an interior magazine called Attitude http://www.attitude-mag.com/

I've been told its 115g/sm Double sided Satin. My background is architecture and I've no idea where I'd find such paper...even after extensive googling! Any hints please? I need a4 for an hp inkjet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Satin refers to a type of paper, just like matte etc. It's not a brand name itself, there will be tons of satin papers on the market. Best to contact one of the paper merchants. Try DM Paper, or McNaughton's in the phone book.

One word of warning though, that style of paper is for commercial printing presses, and it's unlikely to work well with an inkjet printer, the ink may not stick at all to it, or it could bleed into the paper itself. Best to source a premium paper from HP themselves that's guaranteed to work with your printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭RJM22

thankyou very much - that info i wouldn't have found on my own. maybe i'll look at hp's range again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Canon also have a good range of papers for desktop printers - though I must admit, I'm not sure I've seen any decent double sided stuff apart from regular plain inkjet/laser type stuff for regular consumer sale.

Maybe check with Reads to see if they might stock some paper that would be similar enough for what you're looking for.

How many pages would your thesis be?

If you have it designed well, you could have it printed professionally for relatively cheap - which would give you much better options on the paper type. Some digital printers will do you the 1 or 2 copies you'd need, plus you can get it bound nicely.

Or Reads print shop (off Nassau street) do this sort of thing fairly cheaply too. Of course, thats only helpful if you're based in Dublin!

Oh, an another thing - the type paper you mentioned would probably not be available in A4 sheets - that magazine would have been printed by a professional litho printer who would order that paper in either large rolls, or A1 sized sheets from their paper merchant.

Advertisement