Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tá aistriúchán ag teastail orm :)

• 03-08-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Dia dhuit a chairde. Táim ag smaoineamh faoi mo chéad tatú eile agus ba bhrea liom aistriúchán ceart.

Bearla: Every circumstance is chance for song
    Gaeilge: ?

Go raibh míle sile :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Mo iarracht ná:

Is deis amhrán chuile (ócáid/scéal?)

Cé nach glacann an foclóir Firefox gur focal é chuile, agus nílim cinnte an bhfuil an brí ceart ag an focal ócáid ar circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Is deis amhrán chuile suíomh in áit Is deis amhrán chuild ocáid.

Is fearr liom Is deis amhrán chuile scéal - foghraíocht deas ag baint leis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Níl mo Ghaeilge maith go leor chun sibh a thuiscint :( as bearla l do thoil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Voltwad, you might be happy to know that when you need a translation you would say

tá aistriúchán ag teastáil uaim.

The prepositions with verbs are always tricky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Voltwad wrote: »
    Níl mo Ghaeilge maith go leor chun sibh a thuiscint :( as bearla l do thoil?

I think that the consensus is that the nicest one is 'is deis amhrán chuile scéal', despite that not being completely correct...

Is deis = it is an opportunity/chance
    amhrán = song
    chuile = every
    scéal = story mainly, however can mean circumstance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mr chips

Looked up "circumstance" on Wingléacht and one of the options was "cúinse", which included the phrase "ar aon chúinse", meaning "in any circumstances / under no circumstances".

"Cúrsa" was given as meaning matter, affair, circumstance - but can also mean course, period, occasion, circuit - probably too broad a range of meanings.

"Sódh" - was translated as "act of turning, turn, return / act of changing, change, conversion / turn of events, case, circumstance / turn, mood" - maybe this might be closest to the sense you're looking for?

Perhaps because I'm a speaker of the Ulster dialect, I'd be more likely to use "achan" than "chuile", but that's purely a matter of taste! So you might be able to use either of:
    "Is deis amhráin í achan sódh."
    or
    "Is deis amhráin í chuile sódh."
    Either way, don't forget the letter i in amhráin.

Anyone think this is ok, or is there anyone who feels that "sódh" just isn't the right fit? I've not come across it till now, and seeing as this is for a tattoo I'd like to make sure I'm not giving Voltwad any bad advice here!

Haven't seen 'sódh' used anywhere-seems a nice old rare little word

I like 'is deis amhrán chuile scéal' just cause I think there is a story behind every circumstance and a story in every song! Cheesy eh :)

I think it's down to what Voltwad thinks will fit best what he means by circumstance!

Also mr. chips why the i in amhráin? I would have thought amhrán would be in its nominative here.

I thought the genitive would be used here cos "deis amhráin" could be translated as "the chance of a song".

I like finding rare old words :D. However I think the word "amhrán" also includes the sense of being a story ("abair amhrán"), so you might like the mirrored meaning in using "scéal" instead of "sódh".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

pog it wrote: »
    Haven't seen 'sódh' used anywhere-seems a nice old rare little word

I like 'is deis amhrán chuile scéal' just cause I think there is a story behind every circumstance and a story in every song! Cheesy eh :)

I think it's down to what Voltwad thinks will fit best what he means by circumstance!

Also mr. chips why the i in amhráin? I would have thought amhrán would be in its nominative here.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. By circumstance I mean like in every single situation you find yourself in, no matter how irrelevant or uneventful it is, there's basis to make a song out of it

Had a look on focal.ie as well, and "cúinse" and "imthoisc" stand out for me as the most appropriate of the choices they give.

(Still like "sódh" though ...!)

• Advertisement

Yup tá an ceart agat a uasail sceallóga prátai- an ghinideach :) I had thought with the copula there and how it throws emphasis on a word that the genitive would be out of the equation.. but of course not. Why does the genitive have to get its leg or arm in everywhere??

So yeah I'm thinking I like 'sódh' too now that Voltwad has said what exactly he means by circumstance. You see cúinse a lot sometimes, especially on news surrounding murders, etc. so I prefer sódh. Reminds me of só, another beautiful little word.

And since chuile lenites whatever it can it'd be:

'Is deis amhráin (í)* chuile** shódh'.

*I think the pronoun í is optional*
    ** that is if you use chuile instead of Gach/achan :D

I was wondering about the "í" myself at first - hadn't put it in intially but when I re-read it and thought about it, I couldn't think of the specific rule but the reason I put it in was the example I came up with of "Is banaltra í mo mhamaí", so I followed the same structure.

Didn't know that about "chuile", but then I use the aesthetically superior "achan" anyway ... :P:D

Ok, assuming "sódh" is the preferred option, we have -
    Is deis amhráin í achan sódh.
    or
    Is deis amhráin í chuile shódh.

Is the latter what you're looking for? For some reason that I can't put my finger on, the séimhiú seems awkward to me. In fact, when saying each phrase out loud I find the first one has a more pleasing rhythm to my ears, but that could well be down to the same aesthetic superiority I mentioned ... ;)

Awkward?!! You'll send Conamara and Ulster to war! :)

Achan is fine except you have to be chewing food or open your mouth really wide and maybe squint your eyes at the same time to get it sounding right :)

chuile sheans, chuile sheachtain : Music to my ears :D

pog it wrote: »
    Awkward?!! You'll send Conamara and Ulster to war! :)

What, again? We bate ye before, we'll bate ye again, with or without Cuchulainn ... :D

"Chuile" is just like the violent noise I make every morning immediately after having a good snort-back ... you know, the sound that immediately precedes "pthuui-splat!" :pac: :P Give me the gentle musicality of "achan" every time.

(damn philistine Mexicans ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rainbowrapids

Taitníonn an focail 'sódh' go mór liom, cuireann sé smaointe feirmeoirmeacht agus an talamh i mo cheann!

an rud ba mhaith liom a rá ná an mbeidh sé ceart go leor on 'í' a fágáil as in ainm an litríocht/filíocht, dar liom tuigim an 'sentiment' agus chluasann sé níos fear i dtearma an rithim.

(in english: if this is for a song, and the sentiment is still understood, maybe you could leave out the 'í' if you're not 100% with it on the grounds of poetic licence?!)

Tá sé timpeall deich bliana ó bhíos ag as gaeilge (agus tá mo litriú úfaiseach!) i timpeall deich bhliana agus bhí sé deachair go leoir, bí feidhneach liom!

Advertisement