Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What camera bag to get.

• 03-08-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guy..need help with what camera bag to get for my gear.
    Camera is Canon 40D with the following lenses.
    70-200 L USM
    28-135 IS USM
    18-55mm lense- probably dump this one..

Got a Lowepro 70w which was supposed to hold Camera with 2 lenses--which is bull**** unless it's a phone camera.
    So looking at the Lowepro 75w which is a shoulder bag which I prefer.
    Will my gear fit into this or should I go for another one?
    Probably be looking to throw a 13" inch laptop into the bag as well so might as well get a good one. Plus also needs to be waterproof or hold off the rain at least.

The one below seems to meet my needs. Anyone have one and do they recommend it?
    Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack For SLR Kit, 15.4" Notebook & General Gear - Arctic Blue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

I've been using the Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic for a few yrs and its a great little backpack.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Mini-Trekker-Classic,1966,14.htm

It can hold my 40D with 24-70L attached, 70-200 2.8, 10-22, flash, hoods + more. There are also two compartments on the outside, handy for the old rain jacket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Whats your budget ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-5%20AW,1976.htm

I have been using one of those for a good while now. D80 + 18-135 + 12-24 f4 + 120-400 + various bits and pieces fit comfortably. About 50euro shipped from Canada on ebay (or it was when I bought it)

I doubt it will fit a 13" laptop but you might fit a netbook if you take out the bottom layer of padding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Theres a fishing bag coming up in Lidl that probably wouldnt be that bad as a camera bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Tallon wrote: »
    Theres a fishing bag coming up in Lidl that probably wouldnt be that bad as a camera bag

:eek:

If you're on a tight budget I guess,But I'd certainly get something a bit tougher than that is possible!

OP i can't really help,But i wouldn't recommend a lowepro slingshot 300AW,My gear would probably be about the same weight as yours and tbh,With my netbook in there too it wrecks my back(And by back isn't weak or anything) the slingshot thing is good but you pay the price for comfort,But the gear does fit!

Which is: Canon eos 1D MKII
    Canon Speedlight 430EX
    Sigma 20-40 f/2.8(pretty big)
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with sigma 1.4 tc

All with hoods,A few more accessories thrown in too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    The one below seems to meet my needs. Anyone have one and do they recommend it?
    Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack For SLR Kit, 15.4" Notebook & General Gear - Arctic Blue

i have the 250 fast pack and i love it. you will be able to fit your gear in as long as the 70-200 is on the body, i dont think there would be space for the 70-200 to rest in the bag while there is another lens on the camera. it also has a very decent upper compartment for anything else you want to bring with you. i like this bag but that is because it works perfectly for me. i can out all the gear i need in it along with my macbook and go out and about. i suggest you go and try it out, im sure shops are more then happy to let you try things out these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Have a look at Crumpler bags, especially the 5 Million Dollar Home and 8 Million Dollar Home (courier-style bags) or Keystone (backpack)

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/products.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I tried all these back packs including the Lowepro SlingShot 200AW but I just found them cumbersome and was always worried that stuff would fall out, so I went for the Nova AW3 and I was so happy with that I went for the AW4 last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'll give another +1 to the Crumplers - I have one of the larger Million Dollar Home ones and fit no end of sh*te into it, including a 15" (Used be 17") laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Ricky91t wrote: »
    :eek:

If you're on a tight budget I guess,But I'd certainly get something a bit tougher than that is possible!

OP i can't really help,But i wouldn't recommend a lowepro slingshot 300AW,My gear would probably be about the same weight as yours and tbh,With my netbook in there too it wrecks my back(And by back isn't weak or anything) the slingshot thing is good but you pay the price for comfort,But the gear does fit!

Have to agree... it certainly isn't the most comfortable bag to carry on your back. I had to walk 1.5 miles down river and back on Monday and my shoulder/back was killing me. I'll be looking for something with 2 straps for my next bag, in the lowe pro range probably.

I should point out it was fine in NYC but then again I wasn't walking any great distances, I was either on & off buses, the subway or taxi's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

No budget....well obviously not some obscene amount but say €150..

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'll give another +1 to the Crumplers - I have one of the larger Million Dollar Home ones and fit no end of sh*te into it, including a 15" (Used be 17") laptop.

The 8 million dollar one looks the biz..might get me one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, always get a bigger bag than you'll need...

To give you an idea of what it'll fit, I have 2 pro sized bodies with grips, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 135 2, 580ex, 15" wide screen laptop, and a 40" reflector.

Room for cards, and all your other bits and bobs too. It fits in carry-on luggage when you're flying.

thanks guys for the advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

I'm looking for one too. My brother and his mates swear by the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW but my camera (Canon 30D) plus lenses and speedlight etc. find it a very tight fit.

I've found a 300AW on ebay here, to compare on prices

I've just bought a new Lowepro Slingshot 350AW on ebay for €76 delivered. Wanted a bag that would take my laptop as well as my camera gear. http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180385155900

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I've just bought a new Lowepro Slingshot 350AW on ebay for €76 delivered. Wanted a bag that would take my laptop as well as my camera gear. http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180385155900

Just watch out for Customs on this. They may add import tax onto the package if they check it as its coming from the US.

bpmdj wrote: »
    Just watch out for Customs on this. They may add import tax onto the package if they check it as its coming from the US.
    Its actually coming from HK, it's below €50 too so it should get through without any problems, hopefully :(

Well I tried looking around for the Crumpler 8 million home bag but no joy :(
    So went for this one for the moment ..was only €64 so will see how I get on with it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Fastpack-250-Backpack-Notebook/dp/B000YJ0O9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249468064&sr=8-1

41jpS0ysOvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

41E6%2Bt8ZpzL._AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

good choice, you wont regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

So I've got a D90, with 4 lenses
    • 70-300 zoom
    • 50mm
    • 10.5mm fisheye
    • 10-20mm wideangle zoom

At the moment no external flash, tripod (on the list), etc.

That's it.

What would people advise? I was looking at the slingshot but now am thinking against it...

I use the euquipment quite a lot, from city photography to events to landscape (walking etc.) so the bag needs to be comfortable and somewhat weather tolerant.

why not get the same one as me?
    I should have it by Monday at the very latest so will update you on it....but it's getting very good reviews and has loads of room.
    For €64 you can't go wrong.

Advertisement