Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technique to spray your car wing

• 03-08-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently sprayed a front passenger wing of an A4, I was wondering could anyone give me the correct procedure in spraying a base coat followed by a clear coat. ie i can see a slight queiver in the paint finish, It is not that noticeable but all the same is still can be seen :-(.

The wing got a tip in a car park, i Got the denge out and used a bit of filler to correct the panel again. I then applied primer and gave it a light sanding down. and had it preped for the base coat.
    I applied the base coat. let it dry over night, rubbed it down with a tack cloth, and then the following morning i laquered the over the base coat.
    However the there is a slight quiever in the paint finish.

Should i have given the base baint a light sanding before applied the Clear coat with 800 - 1000 grit. i would be a bit doutful that this would effect the final color finish of the car i.e. make it a bit dull, Any advice.

Also i am going to wait two weeks and machine compound the panel to see does this help in any way,The color is a blue pearl that i applied to the panel.

Can anyone advice me from scratch the correct procedure in spraying a panel, I have sprayed a few panels before, But nearly had it perfect the finish, Like some advice from someone that does this on a day to day basis, Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silicate

If you explain what you mean by ''quiever'' I will tell you exactly where you went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Genuineguy

Silicate wrote: »
    If you explain what you mean by ''quiever'' I will tell you exactly where you went wrong.
    Well when you look at the paint under the light the light does not reflect as it should off a shiny surface there is a slight distortion in the look of it when you look at it under the light, I still have to compound the laquer surface, just leaving it two weeke to harden, The base coat seemed to be smooth after i applied it, Have you any ideas, Its almost like there wasnt enough base coat applied to give it a smooth finish before applying the laquer.

Maybe i hadnt my spraygun correctly adjusted, any advice appreciated thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on this thread. I've sprayed a few car bits in my time with pretty OK results(as I'm both broke and cheap), but I'd love to get a real pro on to give the lowdown. In fairness I was using (good quality)rattle cans so a pro may have a good laugh but any tricks of the trade would be welcome. I'm about to attack a spoiler and bumper soon. And I know it can be done, even with rattle cans. One of the best artists/pros I ever saw did a rattle can respray on bumpers, spoilers and bonnet on a car and the result was better than many so called pro paintshops. As I say he was a true professional.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Depending on the size of the patch you should have done more than one coat, sanding in between for smoothness and even-ness, then clear coat up to 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Forgot to say, preperation is the key to a good finish. Spend plenty of time sanding the primer to get it perfect.

Advertisement