Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Choose which location you would like to connect to Network 3" ???

Options
  • 03-08-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭

A message like "Which location would you like to connect to Network 3" appeared on my parents pc this evening - they are on UTV broadband.

I think this is a VISTA thing where you choose what type of network you are using i.e. Public, Work or Home - but I don't know why it suddenly appeared tonight ( other than I just installed a wireless modem router)

but the "network 3" thing has me stumped. I just clicked on "Home network "and it went away.

I've just seen a post on another bulletin board saying the same thing happened to someone on NTL broadband.

any ideas? What the hell is Network 3? I'm wondering is Network 3 simply something to do with the 3 types of network i.e. work, public or home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I think it might be somethin like the 3rd network that's been set up on the computer, e.g. maybe ya have wireless and LAN and this is the third one that was set up.

I dont think it really matters though tbh, ya can just go into Network Connections and rename it anyway if ya want.

hope that's some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Each time the pc is connected to a new network device (modem, router) windows assigns it a number. Installing the new wireless router would have triggered the 'New Network' security warning and assigned it #3.
    #2 would have been your previous modem.
    #1 could be the another modem ye had or your old dial-up connection or maybe the pc was a display model in the shop.

Anywho, it's normal. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks lads.

Advertisement